Unhelpful nurses

sarbow

I have been diagnosed T2 since new years eve 2008 by the practice nurse at my GP's surgery, i have been going every month and losing 2 lbs a time then my weight stayed the same and then i put back on a few pounds i was told off like a little child and was so upset when i got home my husband held me as i told him what she had said " Do you want to die ?" Do you love your children?" my eyes filled up she said " crying it wasnt going to help me you need to seriously think about what you want "
"you need to stop eating all these puddings" I'm not a pudding eater but beacause i am over weight she thinks i eat puddings and binge and eat ready meals no matter how many times i tell her i cook from scratch she still brings this up so i got so sick of her asking i just said ok

she then said before i left " you are beautiful arnt you" i just shrugged and she said "say it say your beautiful " after the put down i just got i felt so down went home and drowned myself in tears

i nearly collapsed in the supermarket and told her after a sugary drink i felt better i asked if this was low blood sugar, she said "you only get low blood sugar when you are on insulin as i am diet only treatment this does nto affect you "
If i complain i will be turfed out of my surgury and i like the practice apart form the practice nurse
It has passed my monthly assessment and i wont go back

Please give me your views

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi sarbow.
You said.
I nearly collapsed in the supermarket and told her after a sugary drink i felt better i asked if this was low blood sugar, she said "you only get low blood sugar when you are on insulin as i am diet only treatment this does nto affect you "

Really !!
Anybody can suffer from low blood glucose levels - Diabetic or not. The treatment is the same as you used. I think your nurse is in serious need of retraining ?

As for complaining just go and see your GP instead and tell him what was said. Then take it from there. Do not be afraid to complain, sometimes it's the only way to get things changed.

Ken.

Spiral

What appaling treatment. You have 3 options for complaining and you should not experience any further victimisation because you have said that you are unhappy with the way you have been treated. She has "dressed up" her person prejudice as acceptable professional practice and I know she isn't the only one who does this. I was once thoroughly told off by a (now retired) practice nurse for having normal blood pressure - apparently I should not have had normal blood pressure because I was overweight.

Option 1 - You can talk to the Practice Manager, who can investigate this for you and will look at what needs to be done to put things right. In my experience, the general attitudes of people who behave in this kind of way are usually well known to their colleagues. I suspect that the nurses comments will not be a surprise to others at the surgery. They get away with it because people don't complain.

Option 2 - Talk to the Patient Advice and Liasion Service (PALS), usually based in your local hospital (number in the phone book or by calling your local hospital and asking to be put through). PALS deals with all aspects of health care including community based servces, dentistry, health centres, as well as hospital based care. Their approach is about what can be done to put something right and keep everyone talking to each other.

Option 3 - making a formal complain. My own personal experience of doing this is that when you make a complaint they go through a long-winded complaints procedure, which does not necessarily give you the outcome you want. I have had much better results from PALS and talking to the practice manager.

I'd just like to point out that I'm not a stroppy patient who makes lots of complaints! I have had a couple of issues with the care of a family member recently and I work with disabled adults who sometimes get their wires crossed with the medical people they work with and I spend time sorting out these misunderstandings so that communication goes smoothly and hopefully everyone gets what they need.

Regarding the "collapse" in the supermarket... could you have had an anxiety attack (hyperventilation/over breathing)? That can have very physical symptoms and I can imagine you'd have been in quite a state after an encounter like that.

MrsPugwash

The other option you have is to ask to be referred to your nearest hospital based diabetes clinic for your ongoing diabetes care, then you would only have to see your GP for other matters and hopefully, not have contact with the nurse.

What a disgraceful way to treat you.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Up until November 30th 2007 I can honestly say I probably had the worst diet (due to circumstances that do not require explanation) After this date my diet had a radical change. Fresh fruit and vegetables better cuts of meat and fish which I adore added. Started walking cycling and the gym weight started to drop off so much so I have had to buy new clothes (I never had new clothes) At my last review she brought up my former diet as if this was still my regime and wouldnt accept my saying that this was no longer the case but she has got it fixated that I dont know what I am talking about when I disagree.

Am soon going on the Xpert coarse ..... will take further steps after that.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I suggest doing a food diary and next time take it in to show them!!Some people need a little more convincing than others!! :D

Jay3109

Absolutely dreadful! The only other thing I will say is that in some health authorities, they are 'chucking people out' of the hospital oversight process and returning primary health care to the GP surgery. This has happened to both my mother and myself. They did say that if things deteriorated we may be referred back but as an obvious cost cutting measure, we no longer have the choice. Grrrr :evil:

Spiral

sugarless sue said:
I suggest doing a food diary and next time take it in to show them!!Some people need a little more convincing than others!! :D

Prejudice doesn't necessarily respond to evidence. Some people, however much evidence you produce, will just not budge from their position. When I have found myself in this kind of position I tend to withdraw or avoid, producing further evidence to validate my position to this kind of person simply adds to my feelings of humiliation... Now, I try not to dignify this kind of behaviour by engaging with it and I aim to have an assertive response when I feel Ihave been unjustly treated, sometimes easier said than done :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Spiral.

You said : When I have found myself in this kind of position I tend to withdraw or avoid, producing further evidence to validate my position to this kind of person simply adds to my feelings of humiliation

Humiliation ? Somebody rejects your view and you feel humiliated ? Why ? I have had many people reject my views on a number of things - makes me even more determined to prove them wrong !!

Ken.

Spiral

I can hold my own, Ken. But we all have our weaknesses, especially if it is very personal. Perhaps I could have used the word "embarrassed" rather than humilated... Whatever, all on the same spectrum, I think, it is personal and makes us feel bad... I tend to be a lot choosier these days about which battles I fight, but I still have feelings for the ones I don't pick. The original poster said she wouldn't be going back as she's passed her check-up...

Trinkwasser

cugila said:
Anybody can suffer from low blood glucose levels - Diabetic or not. The treatment is the same as you used. I think your nurse is in serious need of retraining ?

As for complaining just go and see your GP instead and tell him what was said. Then take it from there. Do not be afraid to complain, sometimes it's the only way to get things changed.

Ken.

Agreed! The nurse sounds terminally clueless, unfortunately not uncommon BUT not all medical professionals are like that. See if your GP will take over your care or give you a different nurse, or ask around and see if another practice comes recommended by friends, your pharmacist etc.

I just bet you were told to eat starchy carbs with every meal and cut your fats. Lack of weight loss and dreadful BG numbers are a natural consequence of such a diet.

Maskedman

i feel for you :( i had a similar experience recently and felt the nurse should have been a bit more"friendly" and helpful as it was my 1st experience of the diabetic nurse. i wasnt told to fast or bring a sample - luckly i did fast.

the trouble is people stick to their first impressions and its hard to get people to change. my daughter (whos 7) has a terrible temper and causes us all to get upset regularly - but as she is fine at school - they wont believe she is like this. it always comes back to the same thing - just do a sticker chart. even though a few days ago she smashed my printer - i'm expected to give her treats from being good...! stupid people wish they could walk a mile in our shoes! :D

hope you get it sorted - complain till your blue in the face! oh and any one can get low blood sugar - what a silly thing to be told :(

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
This is terrible. Just don't sit back and take the knocks, complain. If that doesn't work, complain again. Be a pest, dont let anybody try to ride over you.

D