Unopened & unused insulin

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anybody know if unopened & unused insulin can be returned to a pharmacy/hospital?

I currently have a box of unopened Levemir insulin. It has been kept in my fridge from the day I collected my prescription.

From next week, I’m starting on Tresiba long-acting insulin. So it seems such a waste to just dispose of the unused box.

Ideally, I’d like to return it to a pharmacy but in reality I don’t think that will be possible.

If the nhs had a system of accepting unused medication, I’m sure it would save huge amounts of money.
Obviously, there would need to be set criteria for the medication returned.

Thanks all in advance for your responses

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I faced a similar situation when I switched from levimir to tresiba. Although you may have treated the insulin with care (refrigerated as required), there is no way the pharmacy can verify it. Nobody is going to be happy receiving insulin that potentially may have been compromised.

Reactions: JudyLee

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just returned unused medication my late father had accumulated to the pharmacy. Unfortunately it’s not reused but needs to be disposed of correctly by them so it doesn’t end up falling into the wrong hands by putting it in your bin.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just returned unused medication my late father had accumulated to the pharmacy. Unfortunately it’s not reused but needs to be disposed of correctly by them so it doesn’t end up falling into the wrong hands by putting it in your bin.
I did the same when I came off drugs and for my late parents. The amount I gave back was staggering. My pharmacy had the bad habit of repeat ordering even when I had excess, used to really annoy me

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Terrible shame it all gets wasted when there are, I’m sure folks all over the world that would be very glad of it, but it just happens.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Copy of reply from IDDT (InDependent Diabetes Trust). Received May 2021.

Looking at their website, looks like nothing has changed since I got this reply.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Hello Chris,

Thank you for getting in touch about your unwanted insulin.

Under normal circumstances we do collect unused, in-date unwanted diabetes items to send to help people in developing countries but I am afraid that due to the pandemic, we have had to stop doing this because the parcels we tried to continue to send simply did not reach their destination. I am afraid that I cannot see this changing in the foreseeable future.

So while we are very grateful for the offer, I am afraid that we are unable to accept your items. If/when we are able to start sending abroad again, we will put it on our website.

Best wishes
Jenny"