Unresolved Gestational diabetes

Shellbelle

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some thoughts on my diabetes and what to expect going forward.

I had gestational diabetes, initially responded very well to changes in diet and exercise, I was on metformin for the last few weeks of the pregnancy.

After delivery I checked fasting sugars for a few mornings and they were fine.

Baby is now 6 months old and I had my bloods checked (should obviously have gone sooner).

The results were not good and indicate that I still have diabetes. Fasting BG was 7, hba1c was 67 and my 2 hour glucose test reading was 20.6.

These readings are all much higher than my readings when I was diagnosed in pregnancy.
Since I received these results yesterday I’ve been testing my bloods before eating and the readings have all been very high, even though I have been watching what I’m eating.

readings so far 11.1, 13.9, 13.9, 10.8, 12.8

10.8 was after fasting this morning, I had two boiled eggs and 2 cups of tea for breakfast and 3 and a half hours later it was 12.8.

Any ideas to get the readings down and any ideas why they would now be so much higher than in pregnancy?

I’m 38 and not overweight in case that makes any difference. I will be meeting my GP tomorrow.

TIA x

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-27_11-56-14.png
    upload_2021-4-27_11-56-14.png
    106 KB · Views: 91

philt68

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some thoughts on my diabetes and what to expect going forward.

I had gestational diabetes, initially responded very well to changes in diet and exercise, I was on metformin for the last few weeks of the pregnancy.

After delivery I checked fasting sugars for a few mornings and they were fine.

Baby is now 6 months old and I had my bloods checked (should obviously have gone sooner).

The results were not good and indicate that I still have diabetes. Fasting BG was 7, hba1c was 67 and my 2 hour glucose test reading was 20.6.

These readings are all much higher than my readings when I was diagnosed in pregnancy.
Since I received these results yesterday I’ve been testing my bloods before eating and the readings have all been very high, even though I have been watching what I’m eating.

readings so far 11.1, 13.9, 13.9, 10.8, 12.8

10.8 was after fasting this morning, I had two boiled eggs and 2 cups of tea for breakfast and 3 and a half hours later it was 12.8.

Any ideas to get the readings down and any ideas why they would now be so much higher than in pregnancy?

I’m 38 and not overweight in case that makes any difference. I will be meeting my GP tomorrow.

TIA x
It might be stress related

*Edited by a moderator to remove comments not relevant to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Shellbelle

Welcome to the forum.

I had gestational which went after birth but came back as type 1 around 3 years later. I am obviously not a doctor and of course cannot diagnose so only speak from experience but if I was in your situation I would be pressing my GP for further tests including a GAD test which checks autoantibodies relevant for a type 1 diagnosis, if this is indeed type 1 then you could be slow onset which is why your levels are higher now, but you do need to push hard on your GP to find out soon as it would only get worse the longer it is left.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be stress related

*Edited by a moderator to remove comments not relevant to this thread.

That would be some stress to get it up to 20 if you were not diabetic!