unsure readings

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Carlos.
Have checked the dosage etc for the slow/modified release of the tablets you are taking.

Details: Dose Initially 500 mg once daily, increased every 10–15 days, max. 2 g once daily with evening meal; if control not achieved, use 1 g twice daily with meals, and if control still not achieved change to standard-release tablets

Did your GP/DN say to take them last thing at night ? OR with your evening meal ? This makes a big difference to absorption and effects.

Ken.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
thanks ken am taking them with evening meal but somebody said take them a hour before tried this once and didnt seem to spike at all with meal might try this again

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
carlos said:
thanks ken am taking them with evening meal but somebody said take them a hour before tried this once and didnt seem to spike at all with meal might try this again

carlos
They should always be taken WITH or AFTER a meal, not before. I have been on them for a very long time.
Ken

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
yes thanks ken will keep taking them with my main meal

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
hi to everyone again and like i have said before a big thankyou to everybody for there advice when i needed it just a update really to let you know how im going on have had my latest hlbc this week although my appointment is not till next week with my doctor to discuss the meds etc have had results back and was told my bs were 5.8 evn though this is only the start i feel very happy cant really say more till seen the doctor but thankyou to all again for your advice as i dread to think were i wouldhave been now thankyou

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
yes thanks a long long way to go yet though hoped it would have been lower though

aLATHEA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Guys,

Hijacking the thread a bit but my question is in the same bracket. I have been testing before meals and 2 hours after. Pre meal BG's are between 4-6. Post meal at 2 hrs no higher than 7.2. My question is, if I am checking at 1 hr to get an idea of the peak level response to food, what is an acceptable BG at this time? I am following low carb diet and it seems to be working!

Kind regards
Jen
BTW, Well done Carlos on the progress, great site this is!

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
hi althea i am very new to this and dont feel no were near as to give really good solid advice as more of the experienced members who have been at this for years my own personal goal is under seven but depending on what i eat im happy if its under 8 as long as its back under 7 within 2 hours but like i said this is only what i aim for

cugila

Master
Dislikes
The Feb 2009 guideline figures for a T2 Diabetic Bg levels are as follows:

Fasting (waking)..................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after food ...................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

If you try to remain within those figures you won't go far wrong.

Ken.

Trinkwasser

cugila said:
The Feb 2009 guideline figures for a T2 Diabetic Bg levels are as follows:

Fasting (waking)..................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after food ...................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

If you try to remain within those figures you won't go far wrong.

Ken.

Well IMO that's a start but if you can get lower go for it! I am very seldom over 7 at 1 hour postprandial and often under 6 (5.9 after breakfast today!) but then I've been doing this for a fair while now and didn't get there overnight.

IMO the nearer you can approach "normal" numbers the nearer you can approach "nondiabetic" levels of diabetic complications.

For more details

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

she references some of the original studies such as the DCCT and UKPDS

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
just got back from doctors and have been told to lower my tablets to one 500mg a day and to go back in 3 to 4 months then we will see if its gone up or down hopefully if it stays down they will switch me to one standard meterformin with a view to coming of them altogether (see what happens) am very happy with this has was only told three month ago option was insulin although it is bitter sweet as he as refused to issue me any more test strips does anyone know which machine sells the cheapest test strips any info would be gratefully apreciated thankyou

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Carlos.

The cheapest strips to the NHS at the moment is the Hypoguard® Supreme (Hypoguard)
Reagent strips, for blood glucose monitoring, range 2.2-27.7 mmol/litre, for use with Hypoguard® Supreme Plus meters. Net price 50-strip pack = £12.00 This price would obviously be more over the counter at your local Pharmacy.

Here is a link to the website for details of the meter that uses these strips.
The Hypoguard Supreme Plus.

Link: http://www.arcticmedical.co.uk/html/supreme_plus.html

Ken.