DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Health issues, uneducated doctors, and reality TV
Hello everyone,

I have been monitoring my BG for about 2 weeks now, and for the most part it has been fairly steady. But this past weekend I was quite baffled to see my BG levels higher than normal, even though I was eating the same diet. Usually my BG, 1 hour after eating will be around 112, and after 2 hours it will be back down to around 100, but not this past weekend. My 1 hour BG was ~124 and my 2 hour BG was ~115. I even started taking a BG reading 3 hours after and it still was above 105.

My waking BG was also a bit higher over the weekend, than normal, but this morning it is back to 97.

Any ideas?

DanteNXS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If my calculations are right, then you are just above normal or in normal range on those readings. Nothing to worry about.
Because of the discrepancy in those numbers, there is very little in difference in those numbers. Normal range can be between 63 and 130. (3.5 & 7.0 mmols) That is a wide margin!
It looks good control and carry on. Your body is still adjusting to low carb eating.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those are such small variations that it's hard to label them "Unusual."

One day of higher carbohydrate or even protein intake could contribute to those hardly noticeable increases in your readings.

Heck, those variations are so small that it could just be a case of meter inaccuracy.

I'd see if the situation correct itself and if it continues the next stop would probably be to assess your diet.

If you're worried beyond that, you should see a doctor.

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If my calculations are right, then you are just above normal or in normal range on those readings. Nothing to worry about.
Because of the discrepancy in those numbers, there is very little in difference in those numbers. Normal range can be between 63 and 130. (3.5 & 7.0 mmols) That is a wide margin!
It looks good control and carry on. Your body is still adjusting to low carb eating.

Thanks nosher, being new to all this, the jump in BG had me worried. It seems to happen more when I eat protein, versus just veggies, and also when I add spirulina to my veggie blend, which makes no sense. Last week, protein made the BG go down, hence my concern.

The range for pre-diabetes is 100-130, I am really trying to keep my waking BG below 100.

I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Those are such small variations that it's hard to label them "Unusual."

One day of higher carbohydrate or even protein intake could contribute to those hardly noticeable increases in your readings.

Heck, those variations are so small that it could just be a case of meter inaccuracy.

I'd see if the situation correct itself and if it continues the next stop would probably be to assess your diet.

If you're worried beyond that, you should see a doctor.

TorqPenderloin, I have wondered about the accuracy of the meter. I actually have 2 of them and take my BG with both, sometimes they are similar and sometimes they are 15-25 points different. I usually avg them out when this happens. Crazy huh? Why can't they make a meter that reads correctly 100% of the time?

My diet hasn't really changed much since last week, and my readings were very consistent, but I have been paying attention too it and can't quite figure out what would cause the change.

I contacted my doctor, and he said "as long as the spikes are under 140, don't worry too much". I am a worrier I guess.

DanteNXS

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
TorqPenderloin, I have wondered about the accuracy of the meter. I actually have 2 of them and take my BG with both, sometime that are similar and sometimes they are 15-25 points different. I usually ave them out when this happens. Crazy huh? Why can't they make a meter that reads correctly 100% of the time?

My diet hasn't really changed much since last week, and my readings were very consistent, but I have been paying attention too it and can't quite figure out what would cause the change.

I contacted my doctor, and he said "as long as the spikes are under 140, don't worry too much". I am a worrier I guess.

DanteNXS
You have every right to be a worried!
Until you find out your normal levels, how will you know how to really control your condition.
There's always a reason to ask questions.
Keep asking!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why can't they make a meter that reads correctly 100% of the time?
Even if they could, you'd still get variations in your readings.

Our blood isn't homogeneous so two drops of blood won't yield the same reading.

Plus, you have to realize how microscopic these measurements really are. 100 mg/dL equates to 1g/L. If you figure there's about 5liters of blood in the human body a reading of 100 vs 115 would be the difference between 5g and 5.75g.

If you figure that there are about 20,000 drops in a liter (and if I'm doing the match right). You're talking about the difference between 5g/100,000drops of blood in the human body and 5.75/100,000

When you consider that modern glucometers only need a small droplet of blood as a sample, I personally think it's amazing that they're as accurate as they are.

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Even if they could, you'd still get variations in your readings.

Our blood isn't homogeneous so two drops of blood won't yield the same reading.

Plus, you have to realize how microscopic these measurements really are. 100 mg/dL equates to 1g/L. If you figure there's about 5liters of blood in the human body a reading of 100 vs 115 would be the difference between 5g and 5.75g.

If you figure that there are about 20,000 drops in a liter (and if I'm doing the match right). You're talking about the difference between 5g/100,000drops of blood in the human body and 5.75/100,000

When you consider that modern glucometers only need a small droplet of blood as a sample, I personally think it's amazing that they're as accurate as they are.

Well, when you put it in those terms, I see your point. Nothing is easy :)