Unusual blood sugar data today

Martin100

Hi

having a weird set of results today.

Type 2 using only diet and an Abbot Freestyle to maintain control quite successfully but today I’ve had some very anomalous results.

I’ve been fasting from around 8pm and having lunch around 1/2 and my typical level all morning is anything between 7/8 when I waken to 5/6 just before lunch.

I normally have a low carb lunch and no spikes. I usually have some carbs at dinner, but not much, and might get a gradual rise to about 9/9.5.

Today I had one slice of home made Soda Bread with fresh crabmeat. My BS rocketed. I expected a rise obviously but it quickly went to 12.2!

2 hours later it was back to my “normal” but kept dropping all the way to 4.1.

I have NEVER recorded such a low level.

I decided to eat a small Freddo chocolate bar and it fairly quickly returned to 7.2

This is really low for me and I was worried how low it was going to go.

In my entire life I’ve never had a hypo or a hyper though today I did feel light headed.

Any advice or comment gratefully received.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi

having a weird set of results today.

Type 2 using only diet and an Abbot Freestyle to maintain control quite successfully but today I’ve had some very anomalous results.

I’ve been fasting from around 8pm and having lunch around 1/2 and my typical level all morning is anything between 7/8 when I waken to 5/6 just before lunch.

I normally have a low carb lunch and no spikes. I usually have some carbs at dinner, but not much, and might get a gradual rise to about 9/9.5.

Today I had one slice of home made Soda Bread with fresh crabmeat. My BS rocketed. I expected a rise obviously but it quickly went to 12.2!

2 hours later it was back to my “normal” but kept dropping all the way to 4.1.

I have NEVER recorded such a low level.

I decided to eat a small Freddo chocolate bar and it fairly quickly returned to 7.2

This is really low for me and I was worried how low it was going to go.

In my entire life I’ve never had a hypo or a hyper though today I did feel light headed.

Any advice or comment gratefully received.

Whilst your numbers are not extreme, the Libre can sometimes be a little flaky at the limits of the 'normal' range of glucose levels. It would be interesting to know if your Libre readings can be verified with a blood glucose finger prick test.

Martin100

Whilst your numbers are not extreme, the Libre can sometimes be a little flaky at the limits of the 'normal' range of glucose levels. It would be interesting to know if your Libre readings can be verified with a blood glucose finger prick test.
Thanks for your response.

I checked the low level with the finger prick test on the same meter. 4.2 on scan, 4.1 on prick test. Unfortunately I didn't check the high level similarly. I have attached my data

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 20.10.55.png

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Question, is it correct that T2s not on medications, don’t really need to worry about lows? I hit the 4s daily, I never worried about it, I feel fine. I smile because I know my average is coming down, and my body is in fat burning mode... I know everyone is different though..,

Martin100

Question, is it correct that T2s not on medications, don’t really need to worry about lows? I hit the 4s daily, I never worried about it, I feel fine. I smile because I know my average is coming down, and my body is in fat burning mode... I know everyone is different though..,
Thanks for your reply. That puts a different slant on this altogether.

Maybe I should see this as an improvement. The low reading caught me totally by surprise as I have never been there before as long as I have monitored my blood.

Thank you

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Maybe I should see this as an improvement. The low reading caught me totally by surprise as I have never been there before as long as I have monitored my blood.

Thank you
It actually a low in the 4’s. Just lower than you are used to seeing or experiencing.
Was the bread something new? I’d see numbers like that if I ate bread. And on the odd occasion I’ve eaten or drunk some that’s taken my higher than normal I seem to get a lower than normal response afterwards. Kind of an overshoot in shock reaction to the extra carbs. I’d like the lower ones (4’s) without the higher ones first though.

Martin100

It actually a low in the 4’s. Just lower than you are used to seeing or experiencing.
Was the bread something new? I’d see numbers like that if I ate bread. And on the odd occasion I’ve eaten or drunk some that’s taken my higher than normal I seem to get a lower than normal response afterwards. Kind of an overshoot in shock reaction to the extra carbs. I’d like the lower ones (4’s) without the higher ones first though.
Thanks for your response

The bread was home made Soda bread which we made to see if it was any better than others. Obviously not.

Definitely a reaction I’m not used to seeing and as I said, it took me lower than I’ve ever seen, and I think it was quite a sharp peak and drop for me.

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you

I aim to be in the 4's as much as possible on my diet control.

Edit also if you haven't been eating bread for a while the sudden carb influx could well be the cause of an excessive spike.

Martin100

True I’ve not had bread for some time. Your profile regarding your stats progress is impressive @bulkbiker

I myself started at 96kg a few years ago with Hba1c at 69 and currently 83kg and 52 Hba1c

I put on a couple of kilos over Christmas but even before that I’ve been plateaued for 9 months. Can’t lose a single pound even if i ramp it up to full carnivore for a few weeks

Very keen to get it into remission but struggling at the last part of the journey.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True I’ve not had bread for some time. Your profile regarding your stats progress is impressive @bulkbiker

I myself started at 96kg a few years ago with Hba1c at 69 and currently 83kg and 52 Hba1c

I put on a couple of kilos over Christmas but even before that I’ve been plateaued for 9 months. Can’t lose a single pound even if i ramp it up to full carnivore for a few weeks

Very keen to get it into remission but struggling at the last part of the journey.

How were your blood sugars when on full carnivore? Your levels still seem quite high some I'm guessing the few carbs you are still having aren't doing you any favours?

Next time you have a check up maybe ask for a c-peptide test to see what your endogenous insulin production is like.

Martin100

How were your blood sugars when on full carnivore? Your levels still seem quite high some I'm guessing the few carbs you are still having aren't doing you any favours?

Next time you have a check up maybe ask for a c-peptide test to see what your endogenous insulin production is like.
Generally I’ve never been below about the mid 5’s