Up and running!

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Just to share the happy news that I have finally had the 24 hr blood glucose monitor fitted today. Had a tuna, salad lunch with a chunk of 90% choc to follow. Was alright for a couple of hours then plummeted to 3.1 in less than half an hour with all the symptoms starting at 4.4! Just rallied for a while and now heading down again. Any suggestions to what to eat as the low carb high fat doesn’t seem to be holding me up there for long?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just to share the happy news that I have finally had the 24 hr blood glucose monitor fitted today. Had a tuna, salad lunch with a chunk of 90% choc to follow. Was alright for a couple of hours then plummeted to 3.1 in less than half an hour with all the symptoms starting at 4.4! Just rallied for a while and now heading down again. Any suggestions to what to eat as the low carb high fat doesn’t seem to be holding me up there for long?
Just eat a few bites to stop the lows, eating frequently will help you avoid the lows, bear in mind that I think you will go low if you don't eat after a couple of hours.
I think that sticking to a low carb high fat will see you through this period, but eat little and often to offset the lows. Once you find yourself constantly in or near normal blood levels for some time the body will adjust to ketones instead of carbs for energy glucose. You just need to give it time.
How did you do overnight?

Best wishes

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks I will try that. To my absolute surprise I was around 5 something all night, just dipped a few times but came back up and then about 5am I went down to 4 and that’s when I got worse symptoms,although I woke a few times through the night sweating but levels were normal. Got up and ate as normal with a few sweats through the morning and just went up to 7.3 after my evening meal of lamb and veg (5g carb approx)

Reactions: Lamont D

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you get a fasting insulin test done, I am thinking that if you can prove you have high insulin resistance, then metformin may help.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you get a fasting insulin test done, I am thinking that if you can prove you have high insulin resistance, then metformin may help.

That is one of the reasons why insulin should be tested, as well as glucose, because high circulating insulin and insulin resistance will hamper how the insulin response will be effective with diet.
This is why it can take some time for good levels to be the norm and health issues to improve.
Metformin may help but the side effects could also an issue, if you can tolerate it!

Best wishes

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I did have my insulin levels checked in August and he was happy with them. I wonder if it’s the damage to the pancreatitis? I am beginning to understand that people behave differently by reading some other threads. I’m keen to get there without meds if I can as I react to so many things. Thanks though.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did have my insulin levels checked in August and he was happy with them. I wonder if it’s the damage to the pancreatitis? I am beginning to understand that people behave differently by reading some other threads. I’m keen to get there without meds if I can as I react to so many things. Thanks though.
Everyone reacts differently for so many reasons. You have cysts, which causes different problems, one of them, hypos.
It would be a good idea if you keep learning and do some of your own experimenting to see what you can tolerate.
I agree that if it's possible to do without meds, but if a drug improves your health, and no side effects, then, there is a positive.
Do read other forums, I enjoy reading the success stories forum and I keep in touch with the Keto threads. You will find plenty of ideas and recipes on the low carb forum.

Best wishes

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I finish the week of the Dexcom. CGM today. How do they process the information? I was advised to take it all back when I go to my clinic appointment but then is the consultant just able to plug it in and see the results or does someone have to print them off first etc? Any advice please. I am desperate to know what it reveals at my next appointment and not have to wait another 3 months! Thanks.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not sure how it works.
But the information should be available for you on your medical history, which you should be able to view if you ask your surgery.
Or get in touch with your endo or his secretary.
Or ask your GP!