Update July 2021

Paulyw74

Hi to all.

I have posted on the forum previously but just wanted to give an update on my latest hba1c results and overall health.

I started off really high in Jan 2020 at 107. Totally unexpected. I was not obese but was overweight and eating all the wrong things. I needed to inject insulin for the first 6 months as my levels were so high, then started to get a bit of a grip! My last 2 hba1c results have been 40 & 41, still taking 1 metformin tablet each day. I didn't want to write a long post but just wanted to make everyone aware of the changes that I made to my lifestyle to achieve these results.

Basically my new lifestyle is:

Intermittent fasting (sort of) - Mon to Fri. No breakfast. Just coffee with cream until lunch, around 11:30-12:00. Lunch no longer consists of a sandwich, crisps, coke, chocolate bars etc. Just rivita or similar with different toppings; cheese spread, ham, etc. All low carb, full fat.

Tea/dinner is all cooked fresh or reheated from previously made fresh. I do allow some rice, potatoes but only small amounts. I've come to enjoy vegetables in ways I never expected!

Deserts are nut bars and dark chocolate. One offs specials are allowed, but are very rare.

Nothing after 8pm. EVER.

I have not gone full keto. Too hard with kids, wife etc.

Other changes to my life: beer/lager are gone. Red wine is my drink of choice but love a brandy or rum mixer.

Exercice: I walk everywhere I can. I also have a 30min walk every lunchtime. I have now actually started running some mornings but only small distances at the moment. I go for early morning bike rides (around 20km) on weekends.

I have lost around 2.5 stone. My waist size has gone from 36 to 30.

I just wanted to put something on here for anyone who wants to know that changes are possible. Be patient, stick with it. Find what works for you. The more I do, the more I feel like doing.

I don't know if the changes I have made will undo the damage I have already done but it doesn't matter. I feel better now than I have for 20 years. I have previously posted that I have a form of arthritis that I assumed meant my fitness was forever restricted but now I am genuinely starting to question what I can achieve.

Thank you to the many people who post on this forum for helping me to achieve these results. Keep posting, it does help.

Last edited:

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi to all.

I have posted on the forum previously but just wanted to give an update on my latest hba1c results and overall health.

I started off really high in Jan 2020 at 107. Totally unexpected. I was not obese but was overweight and eating all the wrong things. I needed to inject insulin for the first 6 months as my levels were so high, then started to get a bit of a grip! My last 2 hba1c results have been 40 & 41, still taking 1 metformin tablet each day. I didn't want to write a long post but just wanted to make everyone aware of the changes that I made to my lifestyle to achieve these results.

Basically my new lifestyle is:

Intermittent fasting (sort of) - Mon to Fri. No breakfast. Just coffee with cream until lunch, around 11:30-12:00. Lunch no longer consists of a sandwich, crisps, coke, chocolate bars etc. Just rivita or similar with different toppings; cheese spread, ham, etc. All low carb, full fat.

Tea/dinner is all cooked fresh or reheated from previously made fresh. I do allow some rice, potatoes but only small amounts. I've come to enjoy vegetables in ways I never expected!

Deserts are nut bars and dark chocolate. One offs specials are allowed, but are very rare.

Nothing after 8pm. EVER.

I have not gone full keto. Too hard with kids, wife etc.

Other changes to my life: beer/lager are gone. Red wine is my drink of choice but love a brandy or rum mixer.

Exercice: I walk everywhere I can. I also have a 30min walk every lunchtime. I have now actually started running some mornings but only small distances at the moment. I go for early morning bike rides (around 20km) on weekends.

I have lost around 2.5 stone. My waist size has gone from 36 to 30.

I just wanted to put something on here for anyone who wants to know that changes are possible. Be patient, stick with it. Find what works for you. The more I do, the more I feel like doing.

I don't know if the changes I have made will undo the damage I have already done but it doesn't matter. I feel better now than I have for 20 years. I have previously posted that I have a form of arthritis that I assumed meant my fitness was forever restricted but now I am genuinely starting to question what I can achieve.

Thank you to the many people who post on this forum for helping me to achieve these results. Keep posting, it does help.
Hi Paul. Thank you so much for your post as it helps me to see that I am doing the right thing. I've struggled with it as I've never reduced carbs or skipped breakfast until the beginning of this week, and had zero confidence. Like yourself. I don't eat now until 11.30/12ish although have extra drinks. You have actually made my day :)

Reactions: Paulyw74

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Paul. It's heartening to know it can fit with a normal life and doesn't need to be extreme or fanatical.
Well done

Reactions: Paulyw74