• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Upset stomach with blood sugar highs

Glink

Well-Known Member
Messages
252
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know anything about this? I had some tummy issues before I got diagnosed, but when I went on a LCHF diet then they seemed to clear up and I wasn't sure why. (It definitively wasn't gluten; that would be too simple.)

Now when I eat something I "shouldn't" and my sugars spike, I inevitably have to stay near the toilet the rest of the day, as things rapidly pass through me. Today I had delicious Ethiopian food with too much injira for me, hit at least 9.8 an hour or so later, and am now stuck at home with stomach cramps and diarrhea.

This doesn't seem to be a typical diabetes issue. Anyone else experience this or know more about it?
 
Did you consider food poisoning?
 
There are a lot of tummy bugs around at the moment. So I wouldn't assume it was a particular food, unless the symptoms are identical to your previous experience?

Nevertheless, hope you feel better soon! It is a miserable experience, whatever the cause, and I hope you aren't kept up all night with it!
 
On Christmas Day I had lots of food that would normally be verboten for me, no pain but a bit of discomfort and needing loo for at least 48 hours afterwards. What I did notice and found slightly alarming was that the right side (lower rib area) pain came back. This pain had eased and eventually disappeared within roughly three months on LCHF. My feeling is that our bodys can be made to take one step backwards when we eat things that perhaps we know we shouldn't or at least we learn this.
 
Are you still taking medication for diabetes?

You are right it could be nothing to do with diabetes but if you are seeing a pattern when you indulge then these are two suggestions

Gluten sorry, but there seems to be a link with type 1 and coeliac
or metformin, I'm sure I read on the forum that the well known side effects are less on a low carb diet.

Hope you feel better soon.
 
I take metformin. But I'm usually pretty okay on it. I seem to have these problems whenever I eat too many carbs/when my blood sugar goes too high (not sure if there's a way to detangle those)--it's enough of a pattern that I'm fairly sure it's not just a momentary virus.

Also, I'm confident it's not celiac, as I've done elimination diets before but more recently I was specifically tested for celiac (weight fluctuations & vitamin deficiency when first diagnosed with diabetes). The test was after I had already started the very low carb life, so I had to eat balls of pure gluten every day for I don't recall how long, but however long I had to for the test to be accurate--pretty disgusting! All the good commercial seitan I could find had other things I can't eat in it, so I have to just wing it with homemade balls of bulk-bought gluten. :spitoutdummy:
 
Back
Top