Type 2 Urgent changes post Vitamin B12 injection (post bariatric surgery Type 2 diabetic)

adrianhh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, the title says it all: this is part of the letter I sent in to my manager after getting the Fit Note from my GP:
Here is the timetable of events leading up to this latest absence – I was in the Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th as normal, with the B12 injection scheduled for Friday 9th September at 8.30 am at Health Centre, my GP practise.

I attended the Practice and was seen by the Nurse, who administered the B12 injection into my right upper arm. This was just after 8.30 am. I went back to the waiting room to wait for the Pharmacy to open at 9 am to collect my pre-ordered months prescription medications. I ordered a taxi to collect me from the Health Centre and take me home, this arrived at 9.15 am approx. We arrived home at 9.30 am approx. where the driver had to wake me up?

I got into our home, went into the lounge to take off my shoes, sat on the settee, took shoes off, approx. 9.40 am – the next thing I knew it was just after 2 pm in the afternoon and I’d been spark out on the settee! I got a drink and a bit to eat, felt very tired so went to lie on the bed, next thing I know its 8 pm and K is waking me as she has just got home from work.

We had some food and drink then I had my pills and I went to bed about 10 pm and slept till 6 am! This was unusual as my normal sleeping pattern is 4-5 hours per night.

Saturday we were out in York, K was at a Christian Prayer event and I was sight-seeing as I didn’t feel up to the intense activity. I frequented a few coffee shops in York, falling asleep in most of them!

When we got the train out and back, as soon as I got into a seat, I fell asleep and K had to wake me at York on the outward journey and at Huddersfield on the return.

Saturday night got to bed about 11 pm and was awake about 7am. Got taxi into work, in for about 9.30 am., worked on phones as normal, very tired but thought nothing of that as have been exhausted this way now for several months.

Colleagues started noticing me drifting off between calls, I think this was about 4 pm. By 6 pm I was drifting off in the calls, and I spoke with both of them at 6.30 pm and admitted defeat and how upset I was with the whole thing about falling asleep – and that the only thing that had been different was the B12 injection Friday and told them about what happened then. I told them I would contact my GP and get an appointment asap.

I signed out of my pc and phone, booked a taxi and went home. When I got there, I went straight to bed as I could hardly keep my eyes open.

I was asleep when K came in from Church and she was very worried she worked from home on Monday to be with me. I rang the Surgery but was unable to get an appointment for the Monday, not even an emergency one. However I got on for Tuesday at 3.50 pm with a Dr. He thought it could be my depression but ordered a set of blood tests. I was too late to get the tests done on the Tuesday but went early on the Wednesday. I rang the Absence line.

On Thursday, feeling no better, rang in again, and rang Surgery, found that blood test results were back – got appointment with another Dr to discuss results and what actions needed to be taken. I had also been in contact with the Bariatric Dietitian and Bariatric Nurse Practitioner, about the weird side effects I was having.

I was also asking on the Support Group Facebook page, and found at least one other person with recent experience of the same problem, being a bypass patient who had been put on B12 post-op but a few years post-op like me. She had her injection approx. a month ago and was experiencing similar problems to me

Dr has given me the enclosed Fit Note covering up to 29/09/16. We are waiting for the results of a second set of blood tests and I expect to be called to see her early next week. Kathy has been frantically searching the web for any help with this issue but apart from the ‘trolls’ there is very little out there about this particular problem.

So, my issue is that the blood tests so far only show a high hba1c - but the fatigue and exhaustion have been going on for the previous 6-8 months, with a slow recovery from infection too. Looks like poor control by me has been changed by the B12 injection

However, I have contacted one of the Bariatric Support group I am a member of who has had the same issue with starting the B12 injection - so what do I do - I am waiting for further blood tests and seeing GP on 29/09/16.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @adrianhh

Sorry you've been feeling so out of sorts. I'm moving this to Ask A Question in the hope you'll get some replies, but in the meantime can I ask if you tested your blood sugar when you were feeling so tired? Both high and low sugars can make you tired, and I wonder whether that may have been a factor or not?