Type 1 URGENT help/advise needed

WarDoctor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Inconsiderateness
many thanks
Not sure if you have had the op yet. However my own understanding is that diabetics should usually be first on the list , ideally mornings but certainly first on the afternoon list.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The trouble is, some hospitals take insulin dependents in saying you will be first on the list and they dont tell patients when that list starts... ie I know 700 ladies who've had mastectomies. The vast majority are operated on in the afternoon.
Making assumptions because you are going in at 7.30am is wrong as in so many hospitals they have a mass intake at set times in the mornings.
I've had two ops and now will be having another two under general anaesthetic before end of year..

The top things to ask are:

1) am I having a sliding scale?
2) what time are you taking me in?
3) what time is the operation planned for?
4) what do they want done regarding insulin doses you take pre going in?
5) what are you allowed to take if you go hypo?
6) what levels would they refuse to operate?

There are differences for certain operations.. stomach / bowel investigations are generally local anaeshetic. Ops are generally done in mornings.

Ceertainly mastectomies appear to be mainly afternoon ops but depending upon hosp can be taken in anytime from 7.30 to midday even for a planned 2.30 op.

Reactions: Struma

Ewan1

Well I will know for next time, I did have a plan that if my bloods fell low, I would of used glucose jell, and did use my actrapid, taking into consideration it seems to reach its full potential after 4 hours. So now know for next time.

Thanks for all your help and support

Reactions: donnellysdogs