Urgent query

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please can someone clarify whether a Blood Sugar level of 3.7 dangerously Low?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that a reaction to taking insulin or some other glucose reducing medication?
If it is I'd suggest phoning 111 for further advice - or your local information service - if not in the UK

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Did you retest to confirm?

Remember our glucometers can have a variance of up 15%. I suggest that you retest and if it is lower then contact 111.

Reactions: kitedoc

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, not sure why calling anyone is necessary, if you take blood sugar lowering drugs then eat a biscuit and monitor, if for example you take metformin only, rejoice in having a great number and monitor.

I am not a medical person, feel free to ignor me, best wishes

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i would've advised another test, If you are on hypo causing medications then treat it with glucose, if on metformin take a biscuit, did you feel low? There wouldn't be a need to call anyone for a reading of 3.7, if I were to do that it would cost the NHS a lot of money, only ever call for help if someone is unresponsive due to lows or fitting etc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Please can someone clarify whether a Blood Sugar level of 3.7 dangerously Low?

Hi there, 3.7 is classed as a hypo, but not dangerously low, so you need to eat a biscuit or sweets, or a drink like Lucozade or coke, or something else similar, to bring your BG back up.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there, 3.7 is classed as a hypo, but not dangerously low, so you need to eat a biscuit or sweets, or a drink like Lucozade or coke, or something else similar, to bring your BG back up.
( this is what I do as I am type 1)
Can you confirm what meds you take please. tablets or Insulin, or both ?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what everyone has posted here.

I am not on insulin anymore or any meds and love getting readings the 3s. I never correct a 3 but do monitor my BS after a 3 just to check it doesn't drop into the 2s. It never does - and even without food it will climb back into the 4s and 5s - even If I am quite active.

If I was still injecting insulin - readings in the 3s could be really dangerous because injecting insulin is not an exact science and I could easily have injected too much and end up in the 2s or even lower and ended up in a coma. So I would immediately correct a 3 with glucose tablets which I carried with me all the time.

Metformin is not like insulin and doesn't drop you BS in such a dramatic way but maybe your health practitioner will want you to lower the dose. So would definitely make an an appointment with your DN.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me 3.7 would be uncomfortable but not dangerous I would just have some carbs to bring my blood sugar back up to where I feel OK with.

I have been as low as 2.2 in the past which did have a bad effect on me but in the upper threes I would not be too concerned.

I only take Metformin for diabetes.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @SZB2357 if your profile information is correct and you’re taking only metformin, then my answer to your question would be ‘almost certainly not’. However, if you are taking blood glucose lowering medication or insulin then you could be in hypo territory.

What prompted you to mark the query as urgent? Were you feeling ill or uncomfortable at 3.7? If so, I’d suggest eating something and then testing again.

Pam R

I have T1D and have new told not to let my BG level drop below 4. If it does then to take some fast acting glucose and test again.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SZB2357 if your profile information is correct and you’re taking only metformin, then my answer to your question would be ‘almost certainly not’. However, if you are taking blood glucose lowering medication or insulin then you could be in hypo territory.

What prompted you to mark the query as urgent? Were you feeling ill or uncomfortable at 3.7? If so, I’d suggest eating something and then testing again.
Thanks am relieved. Yes I am only on Metformin 1250 mg. per day and was not feeling uncomfortable but since it was a reading post 2 hours after a meal I felt I should check with others on the forum. Also hadn't seen any reading as low as this since diagnosed.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is unusual to go this low on just metformin. I would have guessed that you had skipped a meal and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. But in your case this is a post prandial count, making it more unusual.
At such a level I would not be feeling comfortable but as others have said it should not be dangerous. Even if you do nothing your liver should release glucose to compensate. But do monitor your level just to be on the safe side and maybe help your levels up a bit by a small forbiden treat such as a biscuit or fruit.
Thanks am relieved. Yes I am only on Metformin 1250 mg. per day and was not feeling uncomfortable but since it was a reading post 2 hours after a meal I felt I should check with others on the forum. Also hadn't seen any reading as low as this since diagnosed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent well done.. sounds like a great Post Prandial result.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Very glad to hear it and sounds like you’re managing great.