Urinalysis

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again . I am so sorry to keep bombarding you all with questions you must have been asked a bejillion times before . Last night I wasn't feeling myself so after much debating with myself I wee'd on a urinalysis stick that are scripted to me for kidney failure .....anyway the result on the stick was glucose +++++ the brown square. I know I was told I have prediabetes but isn't that a little bit high for prediabetes?
I felt sick this morning had a sip of water to take my medication and vomited! I wee'd on a stick just now and it is glucose +++.
I am confused

Soo

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in thinking you don't test your own blood sugars?

This is one situation where you really should have your own meter. You would then know how your blood glucose is doing, and whether it is trending upwards.

I can't help with the urinalysis stick as I've no knowledge of them and don't have kidney disease, but maybe you should see your doctor?

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't test @Bluetit1802 but I am going to get the free style libre and hopefully I will have a clearer idea of what is happening

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't test @Bluetit1802 but I am going to get the free style libre and hopefully I will have a clearer idea of what is happening

To be quite frank, you need a finger pricker more than a Libre at your stage in this journey, and if you do buy a Libre you also need a finger pricker. The Libre isn't measuring blood glucose, it is measuring the glucose in the interstitial fluid. Two different things. Libres either read a low or high, and to know which of these your Libre is doing, you need to do some comparison tests with a finger pricker so you can make metal adjustments. The Libre graphs are excellent for showing you all the high bumps in your glucose and the length of time those bumps last, but the actual mmol/ls it shows can be way off.

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh noooo @Bluetit1802 !! I don't want to prick anything . Well not of mine !

I am a wimp

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh noooo @Bluetit1802 !! I don't want to prick anything . Well not of mine !

I am a wimp

It's up to you of course, but if you are concerned about the glucose in your urine, or of any other high/low sugar symptoms you may have, you need to bite the bullet and try one. No-one likes the thought of self stabbing, but after the first two or three tries it barely hurts. The Accu Chek Fastclix lancet pen is the kindest.

Reactions: Soo2

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesnt hurt when you get used to it and you do in about a week the accu tjek fast clic finger pricker isthe best and you font even se a needle

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Freema

It's the thought of me doing it to myself I don't like. An the pain!

The thought makes me feel dizzy

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahahahahahahaha!! Ok ok I will consider the barbaric act of thumb pricking !!

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The thought makes me feel dizzy
The fear/thoughts are the worst part of diabetes treatment!! I had severe panic attacks the first two days of injecting insulin before my brain realized "this is nothing, what the heck are you fussing over?". It took months before my fear of fingerpricks went away too. In the end, it really is nothing at all, especially when you're doing it more often.

Also remember this: fingerpricks only hurt for half a second, but can save many years of your life in the long run. ;)

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Once you do your first test you will get over your fear pretty quick. I do multiple tests and injections daily. I do recall being apprehensive about doing injections at first and it was a mind hurdle to get past the first injection.... once I did I wondered why I was so nervous in the first place. If it has to be done, it has to be done... it's about taking care of your health. I wish you the best. :)

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DaftThoughts @Bluetit1802

Well I bought a machine !! My palms was sticky and sweaty ....I was gaspImg for air.....my head throbbed...... my heart pounded ......my mouth was dryad all I was doing was reading instructions!!!!

I did it ....my blood glucose was 5.9 . Is that level good??

Reactions: Alison Campbell