Anonymous Question Urinating keeping me awake, advice needed.

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had my blood and urine test done and everything was normal, Am on 41. But I haven't had any joy since 14th of February. I have been urinating frequently especially at night, am currently awake because of this issue. I have had a pregnancy test which is negative. My doctor seem confused too.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Welcome to the forum.

Did you doctor do a specific diagnostic test for diabetes? If not then perhaps you should return to him and ask for one.

If he did and it showed you don't have it then, again, you should go back to him (or her) and say that you aren't happy with the outcome and can you see a Urologist.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
after I started to take metformin which I still do, I started having to go to the toilet many times every night, which is why I take all my metformin dose in the morning now it helps a little, I sometimes am up to the toilet 4-5 times in a night... just wonder if you also are on metformin... you write very little of yourself like what kind of diabetic are you type 1 or type 2.. there is a lot of difference, 41 that is close to prediabetic isn´t it ... prediabetes is also to be taken seriously... if not it can devellop into fullblown non reversible diabetes type 2..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently had my blood and urine test done and everything was normal, Am on 41. But I haven't had any joy since 14th of February. I have been urinating frequently especially at night, am currently awake because of this issue. I have had a pregnancy test which is negative. My doctor seem confused too.

Are you testing your blood sugar during the night?

Could it be irritation/cystitis if not your blood sugar? Are you drinking enough as concentrated urine can irritate sometimes.

Did your doctor do any other tests apart from the pregnancy one?

Reactions: Freema

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am up several times every night to drink and to pass water. I consume and excrete between 5 and 8 litres of fluid a day.

Three possible reasons in my case:
  • I exercise a lot
  • I eat LCHF
  • I am currently consulting an endocrinologist who suspects diabetes insipidus (so-called 'water diabetes') - I don't think it is this, because I think it's just that I like to drink lots!
I asked my consultant what the typical reasons for increased urination are, and was told that the main three physical causes are untreated diabetes mellitus, untreated diabetes insipidus, and habitual overconsumption of alcohol. He added that some people just habitually like to drink a great deal of fluid (and I consider this to be the most likely reason for me being up and down in the night like a fiddler's elbow).

If your GP is stumped I'd perhaps request a referral to either urology or endocrinology.

:)

Reactions: janezara_

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have found in the past that the more water I drink the more water I want to drink. Then, of course, there are plenty of trips to the bathroom both night and day.

In the lead up to being diagnosed with diabetes and also when my diabetes got out of control I was drinking far too much. Once, at work, someone I worked with pointed out to me that I had drunk five litre bottles of water in a seven hour shift, plus big mugs of tea - and lots of orange or pineapple juice. Quite scary.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well this has given me pause for thought looking around me at the moment on my desk there are 6 empty diet Pepsi cans and three empty coffee cups even though my blood sugars are for the most part OK I do have to go to the loo often through the night think maybe just maybe I better cut down a bit.

janezara_

Thanks to everyone for all your reply I truly appreciate. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic since October 2015 and have been on metformin. i was urinating frequently and drinking frequently as well. this case has been different, i am urinating frequently and not thirsty. My doctor has requested that I have a scan in my pelvic area before she decides on what next we do. I occasionally drink alcohol but not in the last two months. does anyone have any advice or have experienced same issue?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In winter time here in nothern Europe 2 liters is usually enough to drink in a day if one does not do excessive excercising .... if one drink too much it will also flush out essential Minerals and nutrients and get the whole body put of balance that way

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone for all your reply I truly appreciate. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic since October 2015 and have been on metformin. i was urinating frequently and drinking frequently as well. this case has been different, i am urinating frequently and not thirsty. My doctor has requested that I have a scan in my pelvic area before she decides on what next we do. I occasionally drink alcohol but not in the last two months. does anyone have any advice or have experienced same issue?

Remember to tell her that in rare occations People on metformin can get a problem of frequent urination as if the kidneys want to pee put This body forreign chemical

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After taking Metformin I found it made me feel dehydrated and I had to get up in the night to pee. I have since dropped down to taking Metformin only once a day and find I don't have so many broken sleeps.