use quick and slow or just slow?

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my brother is 72, has been Type 1 for 25 years and has good HbA1C control. He ONLY injects slow insulin. I am 75 and been Type 1 for 21 years. I have to do the "normal" daily quick and slow insulin injections and my control is not as good as my brother's. Any ideas why please? It would be good for me to just use slow insulin.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
my brother is 72, has been Type 1 for 25 years and has good HbA1C control. He ONLY injects slow insulin. I am 75 and been Type 1 for 21 years. I have to do the "normal" daily quick and slow insulin injections and my control is not as good as my brother's. Any ideas why please? It would be good for me to just use slow insulin.

That's an interesting question. Do you have similar diets and eating habits?

For example, 3 meals per day as opposed to continually eating tiny amounts. Is your brother maybe on a keto diet?

For most people, basal insulin does not iron out glucose spikes that come from an average meal. It might cope with a biscuit (usually 7 to 10g of carbs) but that's about all.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time I've heard of someone with long standing T1 who only needs slow insulin. Are you very sure he is T1? Or can it be he's on a mixed insulin with slow and quick together?

Reactions: urbanracer

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time I've heard of someone with long standing T1 who only needs slow insulin. Are you very sure he is T1? Or can it be he's on a mixed insulin with slow and quick together?
My younger [second of three brothers; I am the eldest] brother is Type 1 for over 20 years. He eats the same food at the same time every day. I don't think he snacks [I do, lots]. He just injects slow insulin once a day. He has very good HbA1C figures. He does no exercise. I shall check back with him now.

Reactions: Antje77

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess as an amateur is your brother may not actually be T1 but a T2? How was he diagnosed that many years ago? Did he have a GAD and or C-Peptide test? Very few if any T1s/LADAs could maintain good blood sugar without fast acting insulin.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess as an amateur is your brother may not actually be T1 but a T2? How was he diagnosed that many years ago? Did he have a GAD and or C-Peptide test? Very few if any T1s/LADAs could maintain good blood sugar without fast acting insulin.
I have the answer folks. My brother is not "just" on a slow-acting insulin but Insulatard, which is a mixed intermediate-acting insulin. Thank you for your inputs. Brian