Useful

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
5mths in and i still consider being newly diagnosed.

Well tit bits of what I think is very important info, have filtered through, but not from medical professionals.

For instance, I found out this week when injecting stomach, we all know to alternate sides, but did you know it's because fatty tissue builds up and it's hard for the insulin to get into system!!

Also found out diabetics cannot have massages!! my all time favourite thing to have... it's even on my bday list lol.

Anyone else have anything to share that would be useful to a newbie?

Thanks

Thanks

Reactions: DavidK59

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Also found out diabetics cannot have massages!! my all time favourite thing to have... it's even on my bday list lol.

Thanks

I didn't know that, and I was diagnosed in 2005. Why on earth not? I need to live my life as normally as possible, apart from that food thing, of course. I need my quality of life to be the best it can be. I will pay extra attention to my feet, but I will not wear closed shoes in the summer, like my chiropodist tells me to. I love wearing my sturdy trekking sandals and no socks in the summer. It's part of life quality, and finally she's stopped admonishing me. There's nothing I hate more than being told that I'm worse off than I really am, or believe myself to be.
Sorry, that turned into a rant, didn't it? Seriously, I'd really like to know why you can't have a massage on your birthday, and I'm sorry you weren't better informed about your condition. I wasn't either, so good thing we found this great forum :)

Reactions: Mags H and dbr10

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree with you and second that diabetic philosophy of life... I don't know much except to say it's very harmful to the blood circulation which can be fatal, only found out yesterday so haven't looked into it.

Reactions: briped

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree with you and second that diabetic philosophy of life... I don't know much except to say it's very harmful to the blood circulation which can be fatal, only found out yesterday so haven't looked into it.

Diabetics can die from a massage? Surely not.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Mags H and briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I don't know much except to say it's very harmful to the blood circulation which can be fatal, only found out yesterday so haven't looked into it.

But surely all kinds of physical activity have an effect on blood circulation, and all we ever hear is that it's good to keep the circulation going, so I'm a little baffled. I'd really check up on the info if I were you, because waving goodbye to something that you enjoy so much can't be good for you either :)

Reactions: Mags H

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Um, I have massages and I appear to be alive.
Can you send a link or source?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had massages and I'm still here! They were wonderful . . . Mmmmm that's just put me in the mood for another.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetics can have massages absolutely can. And tattoos. And drink alcomahol ;)

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But surely all kinds of physical activity have an effect on blood circulation, and all we ever hear is that it's good to keep the circulation going, so I'm a little baffled. I'd really check up on the info if I were you, because waving goodbye to something that you enjoy so much can't be good for you either :)
Lol too true!

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Um, I have massages and I appear to be alive.
Can you send a link or source?
Well I for one am glad it's being debunked... will try to ascertain written source. Info given by massage therapist

Reactions: briped

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
When my daughter did beauty therapy she was told that diabetics were contra-indicated for massage - think it is to cover them on insurance. It can affect blood glucose levels leading to hypo in rare circumstances. Things may have changed since then, but you need to declare that you have diabetes and with an experienced masseur they may be able adapt the depth of the massage so as not to cause tissue damage. As with most therapies they don't want to touch you with a barge pole if you mention any health conditions!

Last edited:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
- think it is to cover them on insurance.

That could be a likely explanation. Personally I'd not think twice about having a massage. Not that I've encountered massage therapists frequently, but I've never heard of any that ask their clients for a clean bill of health before going ahead ...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When my daughter did beauty therapy she was told that diabetics were contra-indicated for massage - think it is to cover them on insurance.
Massages are in the same category as hot wax. Greater heat increases the action of insulin.
I love massages so have them without issue and do not have to lie about being type 1! Hate waxing so that is a good excuse. Also never wanted to be a chimney sweep or fly a plane. Was a bit disappointed to find that I cannot get piercing/tattoos! Something to do with the risk of infection. I am sure thre are many other prohibitions which we may safely ignore provided we understand the reason for them and therefore how to manage the risk.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I have massages, facials, waxing, fake nails and I live to tell the tale! never been told no because of my diabetes- I have been going to the same place for 15 years - I find having psoriasis is more of an issue than diabetes- e.g. Creams etc