Using 2 vials of NovoRapid per day!

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum in the sense of asking a question but have been perusing for some time, it's a wonderful source of knowledge, wisdom and hope.

I've recently been needing to use 2 vials of NovoRapid (Penfill 3ml each) almost daily to keep my BG down. My Doctor said this can be normal, but my Diabetic advisor said it isn't, so at a T junction as to what. I've been a T2 for over 10 years now.

I'm overweight, but healthy (is that an oxymoron or hypocritical?) as run 5km per day and try to eat healthily. I try and keep to lower than 120g of carbo's per day and don't smoke or drink fizzy drinks.

If I take a few units there is no reduction or simple slight, then I started to slowly administer more, whilst keeping an eye on things, but still nothing. Then one time a whole vial and my BG dropped less than 4 points! I waited until evening and needed another vial. By morning my BG had reduced.

I don't use a Basal anymore (stopped a few years back) as Levemir gave me large bruised areas and adverse effects and thus was advised to stop.

Has anyone experienced this before?

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Before I was on basal, I was using 1 unit of NovoRapid for every 2g of carbs. I skipped dinner everyday to avoid a morning high. I even bolused for salad.

The only thing that fixed it for me was to go on basal. My ratio is still high Compared to what others use, but it's just a matter of getting the basal units right.

Were you using basal on a pen like NovoRapid? I'm on Lantus for basal, and honestly, it's so different from the NovoRapid pen, but I split the load into 2 injections so the pen doesn't clog, and I don't bruise that way. If you were using the same size needles, I'm not sure why you'd be bruising

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @APACJoe have you been tested for type 1? it really sounds like you need background insulin or a pump. have you seen a diabeic consultant? I would suggest that might be the next step in this case... Good luck!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum in the sense of asking a question but have been perusing for some time, it's a wonderful source of knowledge, wisdom and hope.

I've recently been needing to use 2 vials of NovoRapid (Penfill 3ml each) almost daily to keep my BG down. My Doctor said this can be normal, but my Diabetic advisor said it isn't, so at a T junction as to what. I've been a T2 for over 10 years now.

I'm overweight, but healthy (is that an oxymoron or hypocritical?) as run 5km per day and try to eat healthily. I try and keep to lower than 120g of carbo's per day and don't smoke or drink fizzy drinks.

If I take a few units there is no reduction or simple slight, then I started to slowly administer more, whilst keeping an eye on things, but still nothing. Then one time a whole vial and my BG dropped less than 4 points! I waited until evening and needed another vial. By morning my BG had reduced.

I don't use a Basal anymore (stopped a few years back) as Levemir gave me large bruised areas and adverse effects and thus was advised to stop.

Has anyone experienced this before?

It sounds to me like the Novorapid might be doing the job of a basal insulin. You may be better off going back onto a basal insulin in addition to the Novorapid. If Levemir doesn't suit you then there are other basal insulins to try.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@APACJoe - welcome :) The first question I'd like to ask is do you know what your pancreas is doing? Have you had the diagnostic tests (GAD test and c-peptide test) done again recently? I think it's important to know this so that you can get the right treatment.

My last diagnostic tests were done in February 2010 (after having T2 for 12 years) and my c-peptide result showed I hardly produce any insulin. As a result I was placed on both basal and bolus insulins. I've been on that ever since. My endocrinologist has only changed my basal insulin from protophane to lantus. I should point out that I probably should've been on insulin a lot sooner than that... I'd say 2008 as that is when my oral meds stopped working and I had high sugar for a good couple of years before they agreed to check what my body was doing. The outcome of these tests for me basically showed I was still T2 as I had no antibodies, but I was insulin deficient and needed to be treated with insulin.

It sounds like your insulin isn't working for you though... probably best to seek answers and then get the right insulin for you.

I wish you the best. :)

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Engineer88, many thanks for your reply and I do apologise for the late response as was traveling last week. Noted with thanks. I am organising an appointment this week to run a GAD and c-peptide, as also advised by another poster. I'll update you all once I have the results. Thanks again, have a great week ahead. Joe

Reactions: 2 people

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @tpaz, thank you for your response, I do apologise for the delay in my response due to travelling last week. Your information was informative, thank you. I used to use Levemir, split twice morning and night, but had an allergic reaction to this, I understood from my Dr that this is a common case, in some situations. He did not prescribe me Lantus. I did indeed use the same needles as NovoRapid, interesting point taken. I am going to make an appointment this week to have a set of tests to determine the issues and will certainly raise the Lantus (or other basal) questions. Thank you again. Joe

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @azure, many thanks for your response. I do apologise for the delay in my response to you as was travelling last week. Noted. Indeed, yours and others responses have been very on the point. I am making an appointment this week for tests and will bring these useful points up with him. Thanks again. Joe

Reactions: 2 people

APACJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Mep. Thank you ever so much for your informative and helpful post. I do apologise for the my late response as was travelling last week.

I have sprung to action on you points and from other helpful posters to my original question. This is most certainly helpful.

I am making an appointment this week and have requested the GAD and c-peptide tests.

I shall explore all available avenues with my Dr and team and get back to you all on the results/next steps.

Thank you again for your informative and helpful post.

Joe

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @APACJoe how did your test results fare?
Are you on a basal insulin too now?

Reactions: Mep