Utterly Normal Blood Sugars

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks,

I have just joined the Noakes study into LCHF. Given how well it worked for me and the fact that I've kept detailed records of everything I ate, hopefully they can use some of it for the study !
You've done rather well yourself using the very same strategy !

Email this guy to join in !
[email protected]

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the following things work

Low carb (( under 30g) Moderate protein ( under 70 g) balance fats - no restriction on saturated
Being in a state of ketosis or 0.5 or above during the day (0.2 on waking)
having a calorie deficit of around 1000 calories
eating only 2 meals a day with a fairly narrow eating window
eating before 7pm without alcohol
eating after 7pm needs to be coupled with some alcohol - whisky /wine in moderate quantities
No late night snacking
My enhanced bullet proof coffee to stave off hunger pangs where necessary ( the recipe has been posted on here )

using this approach my fasting blood sugars say under around 5.5 , my morning liver dump still keeps me within normal range and after about 2 pm I'm back to around 5.5 or below for the rest of the day.

My goal is to try to get to under 5.5 before bed the previous night , which gives me a good starting point the next day.

You are really Amazing CherryAA so well planed and fully thought through inspirering and you really know What is going on in your body !!!!! Well done so far dear

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are really Amazing CherryAA so well planed and fully thought through inspirering and you really know What is going on in your body !!!!! Well done so far dear

Thank you Freema,

I am lucky that I'm retired, youngish and an accountant used to detail by training, so this entire thing has become somewhat of a military exercise. I guess its helped by the fact that after so many years on the planet I finally understand why I am like I am. I don't want to waste another day if I can help it. I also think that given I'm lucky, providing some real detail for others trying to figure it all out, might be helpful. Hence enrolling in the Noakes study .

Its actually remarkable that I can be sitting here a bit depressed if my pre-bed reading is above 5.0 considering where I started just six months ago which was with zero knowledge of LCHF and BS of 18

At least that should give the anyone new newbies at least some hope for the future and a sense that " trusting" what people are saying on here really can work for very many of us.

Your diet is actually going better than mine - I've been stalled around 56 lbs for weeks,though even that is a good thing comped to any previous diets...

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so another three months on , still not really losing any weight BUT - blood sugars have stayed pretty normal for the last three months. Last night I had a very late chinese meal - lots of carbs and actually food I didn't actually " need" at all- so basically a complete indulgence.
Interestingly blood sugars responded by rising to 6.7 for a while , to 7.8 for a short period with a peak of 8.3 for a few minutes, before dropping back into the 5's again . It also gave me a higher dp this morning, but again very similar patter, one can almost see the figures 7.8 and 6.7 showing up as " stress" points.
I probably ate 200 g carbs compared to my normal 30 g. so it seems that yes I am becoming " less diabetic" even if I wouldn't count anything as a cure and I still do need to get the weight down further.
All in all very encouraging !

Reactions: Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been away for a couple of days and eaten holiday indulgences.'

day 1 - dinner smoked salmon, grilled tuna but followed by a huge berry Eton mess. (meringue and sugar ) producing a high of 7.8 but overnight fasting blood sugars of 5.5 according to libre freestyle ,
Day 2 - bacon and egg breakfast, crab prawns and oyster plus lots of mayonaise for lunch - 13,000 pace walk, and for dinner . a west cornwall large sausage roll followed by a street vendor beefburger with cheese onions and tomato ketchup eaten around 9.30 pm . The result was a precipitous climb to 9.7 by about 11.00 pm but 2 and a half hours later back to 6.1 and overnight fasting blood sugar of 4.9 .

These seem once again to be pretty normal reactions
Whilst these foods are NOT going to be forming an everyday part of my diet and I did severely restrict carbs other than the actual indulgences I am so pleased that my reactions to carbohydrates now seems to be pretty much working again.

This morning still in ketosis and weight the same as when I left !

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've just been on a five day holiday to Madrid . I relaxed my diet totally, eating something like 150g -200g of carbs per day compared to my normal under 30g.

I have put on about 3 kg, which was entirely expected given the volume of food consumed. I wore my freestyle libre.
My blood sugars per the freestyle have averaged under 6. 0. Generally speaking they stayed under 7.8 even after a carb heavy meal. I had one spike to 11.1 which was back under 6 within an hour. That was from consuming a massive ( about a pint) of virgin pina colada- which tasted glorious .

As importantly my morning liver dump seems to have gone - in that I have not seen any discernible difference in the mornings for the last week.

so either I appear to be well on the way to having beaten diabetes, or my libre is reading rubbish ! I will check with a hab1C test at the end of this run of the libre and see what it did to the averages. Overall though this is very encouraging!

In terms of changing habits - I did make sure to choose the "lower" carb options at least some of the time, I did walk everywhere and go for a run twice ( which is not easy in 30+ degrees) and I did use the stairs ( 7th floor ) every time - which rather amazed my 7 companions each of whom was 25 years younger than me . ( they used the lift !)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That all sounds very positive.
:D

I've learned that the extra holiday activity (I have a sedentary desk job) makes a significant difference to my carb tolerances. So I milk that to the full when on holiday. :)

Reactions: leslie10152

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That does sound very positive. I wish you well with your HbA1c. :)

I normally wear a Libre on holiday but last week when we were away, I didn't, and I so missed it! Note to self, order some more very soon.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Thanks,

I have just joined the Noakes study into LCHF. Given how well it worked for me and the fact that I've kept detailed records of everything I ate, hopefully they can use some of it for the study !
You've done rather well yourself using the very same strategy !

Email this guy to join in !
[email protected]
Keeping records is good as it adds to the pool of knowledge.