Vape pens

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi guys, just a question about vaping, I stopped smoking a couple of weeks ago and have used a vape. I don’t test my blood sugar but have the past couple of days and my sugars are in the 8 and 9’s, safe to say that’s now in the bin and I’m on the lozenges only now and going to see how I get on blood sugar wise. Just wondered if anyone else experienced this.
Thanks

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi Dudette 1
I used the sugar free lozenges for some time to great success, I gave up smoking 11 years ago, but found the lozenges a new crutch! Anyway I now have the occasional sugar free polo to fill the void left by the lozenges.
I don't believe the sugar free lozenges had any impact on my blood sugar? but the sugar free polos certainly contain carbs! And all sugar free stuff has lots of other ingredients that probably aren't great for you long term.
I saw it as the lesser of 2 evils, and eventually I was nicotine free! And I think that is the most important thing, finding something that works for you.
Make sure you get a good supply, my local Sainsbury's ran out quite regularly, Panic!

Good luck with it

Reactions: Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi Dudette 1
I used the sugar free lozenges for some time to great success, I gave up smoking 11 years ago, but found the lozenges a new crutch! Anyway I now have the occasional sugar free polo to fill the void left by the lozenges.
I don't believe the sugar free lozenges had any impact on my blood sugar? but the sugar free polos certainly contain carbs! And all sugar free stuff has lots of other ingredients that probably aren't great for you long term.
I saw it as the lesser of 2 evils, and eventually I was nicotine free! And I think that is the most important thing, finding something that works for you.
Make sure you get a good supply, my local Sainsbury's ran out quite regularly, Panic!

Good luck with it

Amazing stuff 11years I used the lozenges before when I tried to stop and my bloods were fine, didn’t raise them. I don’t usually check my sugars but felt a bit off and expected more energy since stopping and it’s not been there. I think, or should I say, I hope it’s down to the vape pen.. I feel so mad, I’ve had my bloods under control for so long, and to see these numbers I could actually cry, I don’t want to see those, it reminds me of when I was diagnosed and the battle of getting them down. Hoping it will come down now I have binned it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing stuff 11years I used the lozenges before when I tried to stop and my bloods were fine, didn’t raise them. I don’t usually check my sugars but felt a bit off and expected more energy since stopping and it’s not been there. I think, or should I say, I hope it’s down to the vape pen.. I feel so mad, I’ve had my bloods under control for so long, and to see these numbers I could actually cry, I don’t want to see those, it reminds me of when I was diagnosed and the battle of getting them down. Hoping it will come down now I have binned it.
I am find that sugar substitutes affect my blood sugar levels. I dont know why.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I am find that sugar substitutes affect my blood sugar levels. I dont know why.

I just can’t fathem why it’s going so high, I’m always in the 5’s :( it’s set backs like this that send me crazy. Thought it was supposed to be better stopping smoking, it’s making my sugars worse than when I did smoke. I’m sure my lungs feel better though

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, just a question about vaping, I stopped smoking a couple of weeks ago and have used a vape. I don’t test my blood sugar but have the past couple of days and my sugars are in the 8 and 9’s, safe to say that’s now in the bin and I’m on the lozenges only now and going to see how I get on blood sugar wise. Just wondered if anyone else experienced this.
Thanks
what are you vaping?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
another thought - your body may be stressed due to adjusting to stopping smoking, pushing your levels higher. I gave up smoking 15 years ago and, next to giving up chocolate, it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just can’t fathem why it’s going so high, I’m always in the 5’s :( it’s set backs like this that send me crazy. Thought it was supposed to be better stopping smoking, it’s making my sugars worse than when I did smoke. I’m sure my lungs feel better though
I stopped smoking for2 years this June. I vape now although I should start thinking about stopping!! I found when I stopped smoking my sugar levels were a lot higher for the first 4 or 5 months. I first when on the nicotine lozenges and thought that might be the reason so I started vaping. My sugar levels still remained high. After about 5 months they normalised which was so great. I thought the same as you, that by not smoking my sugar levels would be o.k but it took a while. I think it was the underlying stress of not smoking, I'd smoke for a long time and I think it was my body adjusting. I use menthol and it doesn't affect my sugar levels at all. Maybe give it some time and I'm sure they will stabilise. Good luck and well done.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Thanks for the response guys, I’m going to quit the pen and stick with the sugar free lozenges for a while and hopefully they will start to come down.maybe I’ve been taking too much nicotine,with the lozenges and the vape.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be so tough on yourself. Giving up is stressful, as is life generally for most of us right now.
Yes it will be interesting to see if it is the vaping, but there are several others reporting higher than usual bgs on various threads. Mines up because I've got a stinking cold for example.
Let's see how it goes in a few days, but don't berate yourself. What you are doing is ultimately good.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as yourself, hit the vape hard post diagnosis as I gave up the smokes.
One day I actually read the leaflet that comes with the vape juice, as they are based on glycerol liquid it said not suitable for diabetics.
I used my meter to make sure & it never moved my needle at all.
You are talking tiny amounts anyway, toothpaste is probably way worse.
Were you vaping nicotine flavours or fruit flavours, might be something in that.

On your recent higher numbers I know that unsettling, especially with your massive lifestyle changes.
I've read about some people who spike after eating artificial sweeteners, like in your lozenges.
Apparently your body can have a phycological response to a sweet taste instead of a physiological response to real carbs.
Might be something in it, might not.

Can't wait to hear you get back in the 5s soon.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
I found it really tough giving up smoking, and it is, but you've got this!
Like others have said, raised blood glucose could be any number of things, or a bunch of stuff. Frustrating as those readings may be you are doing the best thing for yourself.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I am find that sugar substitutes affect my blood sugar levels. I don't know why.
Well, from what I read artificial sweeteners are molecularly similar to sugar, when you consume them the pancreas secretes insulin. The problem is the insulin does not have anything to work on and decreases insulin sensitivity.