Variety?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I mostly eat canned soups at this time due to finances and no teeth.
But I'm considering a low carb diet. I'd just switch my money off of buying soups to buying different foods.
I'm wondering about the variety of foods since I have food intolerances and no teeth and a very low food budget.
Also coming off insulin I likely need less carbs.
Here are the foods I can probably get. ----
Cheese to shred on sale
Cottage cheese on sale
Smooth pb
Scrambled eggs
Protein powder to put in plant milks
Plant milks
Possible a vegetable. in season on sale.

No fruit and no veggies or fish.
Too high in carbs the fruit and too expensive even off the reduced rotting vege. racks for fruit or veges. Pork, beef, and milk intolerances.

So is that enough variety? The foods I listed that I can probably get. Or is this more of a keto list.

Last edited:

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Have you considered making your own soup? Depending on what you use, it can be ver low-carb. My favourite is mushroom. Toss a punnet of about-to-date-expire mushrooms into a pot, with a little chopped onion, seasoning such as salt, pepper and garlic, and simmer for 30 minutes or so. Liquidise with a stick blender (very cheap and can often be found at pawn shops 2nd hand), add a good knob of butter and cream if you can afford it.

Broccoli and leek is another good one - I always use the veg that needs yucky bits cut off. Good way of using up what most folk would bin. Make and liquidise as per the mushroom soup above. Add some cheese and cream for hunger-busting fat if you can.

To ring the changes with scrambled eggs, consider an omelette. Maybe with cheese or a slice of chicken chopped into it.

I note that you do not have much healthy fat in your list. Without that, I worry you will be hungry.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.toogoodtogo.com/en-ca might help? You have to download the app to see whether there are any businesses near you that partake, but it may be a way to get certain things at a decent discount? Might help with making some soups that last a while, freeze them maybe...

No idea whether there's enough variety in your list, I guess it depends on quantities.... But maybe add in some multi-vitamins if you think you might end up deficient in something? Sounds like you're all set with protein, and many plant milks have c/b/d vitamins added. It seems low carb enough...

Good luck!
Jo

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can cook your own soups it can be cheaper and healthier (you are in control of salt etc.)

And no issue with variety as you can buy whatever veggies are reduced and turning. The fact they are turning makes no difference in soup.

If you need to add calories you can add / dress with oil.

Keeps for days in the fridge. And forever portioned up in the freezer.

Batch cooking it means you can make the most of bargains when you spot them.

A cheap stick blender is a great help if you're making your own soup.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
https://www.toogoodtogo.com/en-ca might help? You have to download the app to see whether there are any businesses near you that partake, but it may be a way to get certain things at a decent discount? Might help with making some soups that last a while, freeze them maybe...

Jo

I wonder if there is a similar scheme in the UK? Sounds brilliant! I hate food waste.

• Agree
Reactions: cdpm and jessj

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about Scotland @aylalake but its certainly in England. I sometimes see people posting on another site about bargains they have picked up. I think I've seen local ones but I'm not sure. If you scroll to the bottom of @JoKalsbeek UK link the partners include places like Greggs and Morrisons so really mainstream.