VAT Exemption -Prediabetic

Katwoman

Hello, do you know if we can claim back our VAT on test strips etc when prediabetic and monitoring blood glucose levels? Or is it only if you have a diabetes diagnosis?

Apologies if its been covered elsewhere, did have a look through the threads but couldn't see anything.

Thanks in advance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you do not get VAT relief unless you have a diabetes diagnosis. Sorry.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What about "diabetes in remission" should I start paying VAT again on strips et al?

My on-line coding says Diabetes Resolved, so in my case I imagine I should be paying VAT. I intend to query this coding again next time I speak to a GP. It is against the guidelines and should be In Remission. I have no idea of the legalities of the VAT for remission people.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My on-line coding says Diabetes Resolved, so in my case I imagine I should be paying VAT. I intend to query this coding again next time I speak to a GP. It is against the guidelines and should be In Remission. I have no idea of the legalities of the VAT for remission people.
My GP's have agreed that "resolved" shouldn't be used apart from one case whereT2 had been misdiagnosed.. Turned out all the others that had been marked as "resolved" (10 I think) were wrong and have been sorted.
I wonder who would know about "remission".... I would try HMRC but have had cause to chat to them recently and I knew more about the subject I wanted advice on than their helpdesk!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP's have agreed that "resolved" shouldn't be used apart from one case whereT2 had been misdiagnosed.. Turned out all the others that had been marked as "resolved" (10 I think) were wrong and have been sorted.
I wonder who would know about "remission".... I would try HMRC but have had cause to chat to them recently and I knew more about the subject I wanted advice on than their helpdesk!

I buy my test cassettes from eBay so the VAT doesn't come in play for those, but I do buy Libre sensors and they are expensive, much more so if I have to pay VAT. It would be good to know if I qualify legally or not. However, Abbott only has a yes or no box to tick, and no official forms to fill in. As they have no idea who my doctor is and no way of checking, maybe they would never know anyway.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy my test cassettes from eBay so the VAT doesn't come in play for those, but I do buy Libre sensors and they are expensive, much more so if I have to pay VAT. It would be good to know if I qualify legally or not. However, Abbott only has a yes or no box to tick, and no official forms to fill in. As they have no idea who my doctor is and no way of checking, maybe they would never know anyway.
I have e-mailed HMRC to ask.. will let you guys know what the answer is...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say they should let you still get VAT exemption, as you might not be able to afford to test otherwise then you may become diabetic again! ;)