arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
Hello everyone...

Who do you actually give the VAT exemption form to?!? I'm confused!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
The VAT exemption form for diabetic products has two sections. The top section you fill in with what you are buying and the shop/pharmacy you are buying it from. You then give the form to the shopkeeper/pharmacist who will fill in the bottom section. The pharmacist will keep the form for their own VAT records.

Spiral

When you get to the checkout, tell the assistant you want the VAT removed. When they look at you blankly, repeat unti they find someone who knows what you are on about (oftern the pharmacist).

Very simple after that, you just fill the form in - they have supplies of the form in the shop. I think every shop has its own form. You don't need to produce ID or anything.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Sorry Spiral but not every shop does have its own forms. In fact many pharmacists are not even aware that people with diabetes qualify for VAT-free things like test strips and monitors. That is why I contacted HMRC and got them to supply a form that anyone can download from this website and take with them to the chemists. Here is the link to the form

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/vat-exemption.html

Spiral

Dennis said:
Sorry Spiral but not every shop does have its own forms. In fact many pharmacists are not even aware that people with diabetes qualify for VAT-free things like test strips and monitors. That is why I contacted HMRC and got them to supply a form that anyone can download from this website and take with them to the chemists. Here is the link to the form

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/vat-exemption.html

I'm surprised if they are selling stuff to people with disabilities, especially in these cash strapped times, anything to get the punters through the doors. So... my local pharmacy where the assistant was a bit surprised was ahead of the game by having their own form!

I have only done this once so far and I susect that many people who could have VAT removed don't.

Thanks for the link. I will download it and keep a copy on me!

terry100

Sorry, but I'm new to all of this but I thought you can get strips and lancets free on repeat prescription from the drs?!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Terry,

They are supposed to be free if you are a diabetic on medication. If you are diet controlled then they are supposed to be available on prescription but you pay the normal prescription charge.

That's the theory . . . . . BUT

For the last year PCTs have been telling GP surgeries up and down the country to stop prescribing test strips for type 2s because it's costing the NHS too much money. We are now starting to see cases where even type 1s are being denied test strips. If you are getting your test strips free on prescription then thank your lucky stars that your GP is prepared to do what is right for his/her patients instead of obeying the bean-counters. Unfortunately many GPs are following orders which is resulting in diabetics having to pay for things themselves. At least all medical equipment for diabetics is VAT-free, hence the need for VAT exemption claim forms for those having to buy their own.

terry100

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm only 2 weeks into being diabetic and need to put in a request for more test strips on Mon. Hoping I'll get them on repeat ok.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
This is only loosely linked to the above but it may be of use.
I get DLA with the higher rate mobility and was toying with the idea of using the payment to get a vehicle. I was unsure whether I could do without the monthly money for 3 years of the contract. While talking to the dealer he informed me that if I were to purchase the car either outright or on a loan he had a form that I could sign to remove the VAT from the car! So with a down payment from savings and the VAT off, a bank loan worked out about £70 per month cheaper than using the DLA. Of course the down side to this is that I pay for the upkeep of the car (tyres, insurance, servicing, etc) but I can also sell it later if I want or have to.
The VAT was worth around £3,000 off the price.

Spiral

mrburden said:
Hi,
This is only loosely linked to the above but it may be of use.
I get DLA with the higher rate mobility and was toying with the idea of using the payment to get a vehicle. I was unsure whether I could do without the monthly money for 3 years of the contract. While talking to the dealer he informed me that if I were to purchase the car either outright or on a loan he had a form that I could sign to remove the VAT from the car! So with a down payment from savings and the VAT off, a bank loan worked out about £70 per month cheaper than using the DLA. Of course the down side to this is that I pay for the upkeep of the car (tyres, insurance, servicing, etc) but I can also sell it later if I want or have to.
The VAT was worth around £3,000 off the price.

Motability is not always the best option (especially if there are clauses about how many miles you can do, a friend of mine got "fined" :shock: for being too mobile a few years back) but people don't always ask. Well done!