Vegan Product Recommendations

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
So, taking it for granted that the suggestions offered will be vegan, could I ask for recommendations for a deodorant?

At the moment I use the little pots of balm made with activated charcoal but I dig out too much per go, and it's wasteful. I absolutely don't want a spray sort (unless it's a pump).

Have any of us tried the crystal rock type and do they work?

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Toms used to make a roll on I loved but discontinued all the roll ons. but if you like sticks my husband likes the Toms lemongrass one. I like Naturally Fresh Magnesium roll on, it's by a company owned by Solaray/Nutraceutical. Harder to find though. If you take chlorophyll or a greens pill/drink (alfalfa,wheat grass, etc) your need for deodorant goes way down and it doesn't have to be as strong. The vegan ones are usually not as strong because they don't have an anti antiperspirant because that is from aluminum and not considered as healthy for you.The crystal rocks are mineral blends and lots of people really love them, but I have always shied away from them as they have some aluminum in them (Ammonium Alum). There is controversy over whether they have aluminum that actually absorbs. It's supposed to be a large enough particle it won't absorb? You just have to read about it and decide on that.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'll try the green drink thing (it sounds tasty and would go with breakfast beautifully), and maybe I could find a little scoop. A tiny dolls house shovel would do it but probably wouldn't be strong enough. (You really don't need much of the stuff - about the size of a frozen pea). Actually, I'll bet I could make something out of a kiddies lolly stick. I know my son's partner uses those when she's doing tattooing (don't know why) so maybe I could scrounge one and file it small and rounded...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried the Magnesium Oil suggestion, when I went away for a few days and took an empty deodorant with me :banghead:

I found that it worked perfectly as a deoderant.
However, it was not a comfortable experience (oily armpits anyone?) and actually seemed to chafe a little.
Of course, I may have used too much, or not enough, or whatever.

I have seen that Weleda do some wildly expensive aerosol-less sprays. I tried the rose one several years ago, but was disappointed in its effectiveness.

Lush also do a variety of different options, from powders to creams. When I tried a cream, I found it built up on the skin, and the powder version left white marks on clothing.

I suspect that all the above are vegan, but can't vouch for it - but I am sure you are very used to scrutinising the packaging with care! :)

Ed. For spelling

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I use an activate charcoal balm that smells of lemons. That sounds like it should be gritty and nasty but it isn't; it is a true balm and just dissolves, spreads out and totally soaks into the skin. I love it (and I hadn't really expected to). I used to use Sainsburys spray - a lot of their own products are vegan and they're all leaping bunny certified. I am exceptionally picky about oily stuff - hate the feeling of oily fingers with a passion.

This is the one I use:

https://amazon.co.uk/Natural-Deodorant-Activated-Charcoal-PROCOAL/dp/B07G3L8QGL/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=activated+charcoal+balm&qid=1554123830&s=gateway&sr=8-7

I use the Vegan Womble's pages a lot to tell me if something is vegan or not, or simply search Amazon for vegan whatever. Even then I search on the product myself just to be on the safe side.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't mean magnesium oil at all. There is a magnesium based roll on deodorant, but it is not magnesium oil. That would be icky! Naturally Fresh Magnesium Chloride Roll on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't mean magnesium oil at all. There is a magnesium based roll on deodorant, but it is not magnesium oil. That would be icky! Naturally Fresh Magnesium Chloride Roll on.

Yet i have seen Magnesium oil recommended as a deoderant online in several places, so some people use it.
Also in footbaths for stinky feet...

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Well the magnesium in it probably works. but I've used magnesium oil on my legs years ago to stop leg cramps and it seems a little abrasive and oily to use under your arms. I wouldn't like that either.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Well I've just bought some food grade magnesium chloride but I'm going to use it for making tofu (often called nigari when used in tofu). It takes the place of rennet in cheese made from cow's milk and turns the bean milk into curds which come together to form tofu.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Joy! Found a Foot Rescue Cream

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EY5K66K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My son's partner recommended it and I have to say it is brilliant. I get heel splits at the drop of a hat but this stuff sorts them out in a hurry. My DSN is pleased because I have always flat out refused to use Flexitol even though the urea in it is synthetic. It has lanolin in it as the oily bit. I've been using copious amounts of body butter for ages. This Rescue Cream uses organic shea butter with cold-pressed organic oils and natural vitamin E is truly excellent stuff.