Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I doubt it. There are some carbs in veg and juicing it will remove the fibre and get the carb elements into your blood stream more quickly, but shouldn't be too bad if you are juicing it yourself.

If it's shop bought, check the label for total carbs remembering about 4g to a teaspoon and that will give you an idea of total carbs content:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Vegetable juice..that is what my crew need..stops scurvy

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Yep worked for the sailing pioneers... and pirates of yesteryear:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Reactions: 2 people

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it depends on the vegetable and the quantity.For instance celery has a GI of 15 and carrot has a GI of 72. The lower the GI the lesser the spike. In any case its better to eat the vegetable(or fruit) than drink the juice (according to people in the know).
Good info at www.glycemicindex.com.
Happy hunting and juicing Alicki!

According to the link you posted except for one reference the GI for carrots is a lot lower and 72 isn't mentioned. Am I missing something?

http://www.calorieking.com/learnabouts/The-Glycemic-Index-The-Glycemic-Load_OTI2.html

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may depend on whether they are cooked or not?

If you read the link it gives you a figure for cooked which isn't 72. Anyways this type of vegetable is better eaten raw- not all veg can be - because cooking destroys some nutrients?

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked and non cooked have different indexes, that I know

fene48

According to the link you posted except for one reference the GI for carrots is a lot lower and 72 isn't mentioned. Am I missing something?

http://www.calorieking.com/learnabouts/The-Glycemic-Index-The-Glycemic-Load_OTI2.html
Duh!!!! Delete, Delete, Delete.
No bobrobert, I am the one missing something. I was putting stuff in about fruit juices, realised what I was doing, changed the typing then stuffed up royally.
It should have said the GI of vegetables is generally low as is the GL. A standard 250ml (1 cup) serving of vegetable juice has approx 9-15 g carbs and hence a spike depends on your carb sensitivity and qty you drink.
My sincerest apologies (and thanks for someone being on the ball).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it depends on which veg, and whether the juice is pasteurised or cooked or raw.

I tried carrot juice a while back and was horrified by the spike.
But a well formulated green smoothie, even including some fruit, with all the fibre of the veg too (not just the juice) doesn't spike me.

Here is a green smoothie thread, if you are interested:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/in-praise-of-green-smoothies.70800/

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/...s/green-smoothie-recipes-for-type-2-diabetes/

http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2014/03/11/low-glycemic-green-smoothie/

B

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Let me just fix that for you: "That BE what me crew are a needin', stops scurvy **** your eyes"

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I tried a green veg nutribullet smoothie (with some lime in it I think) and it blew my bloods completely off the scale. I think it's trial and error.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smoothies - whatever the content - are designed to enter the contents quickly into the bloodstream which means that spiking is inevitable??? Bad news if you are diabetic, so I don't see the need for a diabetic to consume them???

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Im pre diabetic and with huge digestive issues at the moment. The juices are the only way of absorbing veggies and fruit without pain

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smoothies - whatever the content - are designed to enter the contents quickly into the bloodstream which means that spiking is inevitable??? Bad news if you are diabetic, so I don't see the need for a diabetic to consume them???

No, spiking is not inevitable, in my experience.

It is simply a matter of testing and tailoring the recipe to your personal reactions. I have always found that juicing spikes faster than smoothieing because the veg/fruit pulp in the smoothies makes for a slower release. One of the delights of green smoothieing is that it lets me enjoy tropical fruit such as pineapple and even small amounts of mango, without spiking. This is wonderful, since by low carbing I hardly ever taste fruit any more.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No, spiking is not inevitable, in my experience.

It is simply a matter of testing and tailoring the recipe to your personal reactions. I have always found that juicing spikes faster than smoothieing because the veg/fruit pulp in the smoothies makes for a slower release. One of the delights of green smoothieing is that it lets me enjoy tropical fruit such as pineapple and even small amounts of mango, without spiking. This is wonderful, since by low carbing I hardly ever taste fruit any more.

Thanks for the anecdotal evidence... Very useful:)

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Im pre diabetic and with huge digestive issues at the moment. The juices are the only way of absorbing veggies and fruit without pain

I have been working through a pint of juice today. Celery, cucumber, ginger and lime. My bg has not been bothered by it. As with all new foods and drinks, best to test your own tolerance. Hope juicing works out for you if you decide to try it.

Reactions: 4 people

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Great feedback everyone. I find that if I have juice in the evening, (veggie), it will make my fasting bs go up by 0.5. I'm not diabetic, just got insulin resistance and hyperinsulinima

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great feedback everyone. I find that if I have juice in the evening, (veggie), it will make my fasting bs go up by 0.5. I'm not diabetic, just got insulin resistance and hyperinsulinima

Alicki, is that your own juice or shop bought?

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, no way! Home made and organic.