Vegetarian and Low Carb

peacock

Hello Friends - I am originally from India. Live in USA for 45 years. I was diagnosed T2 - in 1994 -
So far in control with Metformin - last three years A1c - under 7.0
However - last nine months - going up - 8.4, 8.7 and latest - two weeks ago was 9.4.
My doctor wants to start me on Insulin....
I have read lot about LCHF -- but hard to find food- without Meat -
I like to keep under 50 or 30 gms carb per day.
Any suggestions - comments - please advise

Reactions: Freema

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado. Salads.

Where are you getting your protein from? Do you eat eggs or fish?

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @peacock and welcome to the forum :)

I would advise to firstly cut out high carb foods such as potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and cereals. Cut our sugar obviously and tropical fruits. Eat plenty of vegetables which grow above ground level for fibre and vitamins. For proteins and fats - a mix of nuts, nut butters, oils, tofu, seitan, beans, pulses and (if applicable) eggs and cheese. Use your meter to check your personal tolerances to foods.

We have a vegetarian sub-forum here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Reactions: Brunneria

peacock

I do eat eggs - some time s- but mostly from Whey Protein shake - or fruit smoothie with whey protein --
and Boost or Ensure milk --

I think I ate too much protien - last six months have gained too much fat on stomach - I am skinny for long time
just got belly fat --mostly above navalbutton - meaning more protein ( i think)

peacock

Hi @peacock and welcome to the forum :)

I would advise to firstly cut out high carb foods such as potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and cereals. Cut our sugar obviously and tropical fruits. Eat plenty of vegetables which grow above ground level for fibre and vitamins. For proteins and fats - a mix of nuts, nut butters, oils, tofu, seitan, beans, pulses and (if applicable) eggs and cheese. Use your meter to check your personal tolerances to foods.

We have a vegetarian sub-forum here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

peacock

I do NOT eat high carbs -- less than 50 to 70 gm- carbs per day --
Quit rice and potatoes - 20 years ago - because of High Triglycerides - NO diabetes that time
I do NOT eat pasta or pizza - or soft drinks - no sugar
Fruits yes- smoothies- but limited - 1/2 banana. kiwi, 1/2 apple and four strawberries

how do I make up 800 to 1200 calories ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, olives for calories.

I'm wondering if the boost and insure shakes are causing belly fat more so than protein. Aren't they full of carbs or artificial sweeteners.? Loads of unnatural ingredients? I would also think they could be contributing to your higher A1C

We really don't need a lot of protein. Just enough for maintenance and repair. About .7-1 kg per kg of lean body mass. Excess can turn to bs.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do eat eggs - some time s- but mostly from Whey Protein shake - or fruit smoothie with whey protein --
and Boost or Ensure milk --

I think I ate too much protien - last six months have gained too much fat on stomach - I am skinny for long time
just got belly fat --mostly above navalbutton - meaning more protein ( i think)

The way you gain fat is not determined by the nutrients but genetically. Most males will gain fat around their belly region regardless of your ratio of nutrients. Though when gaining fat you're most likely in a state of caloric surplus

What is the composition of the whey shake? Most have next to no carbs but some do have some. And as has been mentioned when your intake of protein is higher than your need it does effect your BS. @Kristin251 obviously meant 0.7 grams (not Kg.)/kg which is indeed the WHO recommended daily intake for none active persons. Most whey shakes are between 30-40 g. per serving size which is allot if you're not exercising in one way or another.