1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarian Vs Carnivorous Dieting Plan?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by KatriceOrtmeier, Jun 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KatriceOrtmeier

KatriceOrtmeier Family member · Member

In last 6 months, I got some extra weight. One reason is my marriage and second is no physical activity at the workplace. Now, I have decided to shed off my weight. According to my husband, I should go with a vegetarian diet plan to get quick results, but I don't like veggies. You can also call me a carnivore. Yes, I love meat.

Actually, after two months my husband has a plan to go for vacations with me, but before this journey, he wants to look at me in perfect shape. He has already searched this vegetarian diet plan for me.

I have argued a lot with him, but he always comes with real facts and researches. Do you guys have any substantial argument in favour of a carnivorous diet? Because eating veggies and having veggies soups is just like a nightmare for me.

#1 KatriceOrtmeier, Jun 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Your settings say you are Type 1 but on diet only. Please can you confirm which is correct? They can't both be!

As for losing weight, it is neither carnivore nor vegetarian .... it means cutting carbohydrates as they are the main culprits in weight matters. Ask your husband to research that!

• Like Like x 1
  3. KatriceOrtmeier

Just fixed my info. Maybe this happened as I joined any forum first time. My dad is suffering because of diabetes, and according to doctors, I could be a diabetic, so I thought prevention is better than cure. However, this is a personal kind of question, not much related to that issue.

4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I would be a little upset if my husband suggested I needed to lose weight for a holiday - and picked a diet plan...

• Agree Agree x 11
  5. KatriceOrtmeier

He is not an obsessed man, but yes, he likes to fit women. I also love him a lot and don't make my relationship into any trouble on little things. I don't mind his dictatorship on the issue of fitness.

6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Insisting on weight loss aside (and I appreciate you’re newly married, but that’s a massive red flag from a husband), a diet that high in carbohydrates is not a great idea if your doctors tell you that you may be heading for diabetes. Have a look into a low carb, healthy fat way of eating instead, dietdoctor.com is a great site, and many people here have not only lost considerable amounts of weight on it, but eliminated their risk of diabetes too. Win:win!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. KatriceOrtmeier

That's great. Just on that site. Also texting its name to my husband.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

If that is you in your avatar, you are a gorgeous looking young lady. If you need to lose weight, and if you want to lose weight, then that is fine. If you don't enjoy vegetarian food, then why eat it? He seems to be trying to manipulate you. Being a carnivore is no more likely to be unhealthy or make you less fit than a vegetarian diet.

Low carb is the best way to tackle potential diabetes and also weight loss. There are no carbs in meat or fish. There are plenty in most vegetables and fruit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know it’s possibly a bit facetious, but I hope your husband is at the peak of physical perfection himself to be making such demands on you... just saying.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Uhh, this makes alarm-bells go off.
    And they've just got unbearably loud.
    Are you sure you're alright?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. KatriceOrtmeier

I was just saying on a lighter note. :banghead: You guys have just started criticising my husband :depressed: but I came here to get a solid point in the favour of meat diet as compared to the vegetarian diet plan.

12. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

If you want info on carnivore look on www.zerocarbzen.com lots of info there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't criticize your husband, I stated my worries about you.
    As far as meat or vegetarian, you can lose weight with both. On this forum you'll probably find many people who believe in LCHF to lose weight, regardless if doing that with or without meat.

14. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

one is not better than the other.The carb intake is the important part. Keep your carbs low, whatever you decide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

this diet is high in carbs. You may lose weight, but if you are a risk of type 2 diabetes, it is not a good idea to have so many carbs.

16. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @KatriceOrtmeier as a lifelong veggie (with lots of fat veggie friends) unless you are going to eat a meal plan full of leafy green veg and stick to low carb; a veggie diet can actually be fattening, because many new veggies eat lots of pasta, rice, noodles etc. which are high carb and easy to eat in excess.

An eating plan will only work if you can stick with it, you need foods you actually like :). I have adhered to a low carb diet for over 8 years by eating foods I enjoy (which includes salads cheese, olives, low carb pancakes :hungry:etc)

As mentioned earlier dietdoctor is a great resource.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook