Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Avocado Sevenfold

I bet your soup is fine for spikes. When I've made pea and leak, it's worked out to be about 10g carbs for a large bowl, but half was fibre.

Perhaps you can slow any spike by adding some (Alpro type) cream.

Sounds nice with the spinach and mint.
Cheers. I went for 200ml of soup without anything creamy today and tested the results. *drumroll*

4.7 - pre
5.3 - 1 hour
4.9 - 2 hours

Here is the recipe if anyone fancies it. The mint makes it taste fresh and summery. We skipped the watercress and added a full bag of spinach.

I have mostly been avoiding peas, but have learned this week that not all peas are the same. Who knew? The recipe uses petits pois which are younger and less starchy than other peas.

Tesco frozen petits pois - 5.4g carb / 5.0g protein per 100g
Tesco frozen garden peas - 9.0g carb / 5.9g protein per 100g

Reactions: Ledzeptt
A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: golden milk

L: Supergreens drink, walnuts

Pea soup trial (not guilty)

D: veg, Linda Macs and mixed bean stew thing with cauli mash

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)

I have mostly been avoiding peas, but have learned this week that not all peas are the same. Who knew? The recipe uses petits pois which are younger and less starchy than other peas.

Tesco frozen petits pois - 5.4g carb / 5.0g protein per 100g
Tesco frozen garden peas - 9.0g carb / 5.9g protein per 100g

Good BG result.

That's interesting information about peas: I would have guessed petits pois were higher carb because they taste sweeter. Learn something new everyday :)

S

Sable_Jan

That's what a sensible person would do, but our freezer is rammed. It is easier here to drink a gallon of soup than to play Freezer Tetris :bag:
What a wonderful description. Must admit there's only me, 2 freezers and they're still usually full. Having a tikka beans homemade ready meal tonight though....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Last night we had veg and chickpea curry on shredded lettuce, onion bhajis and chilli and mint Alpro yogurt dip. Leftovers tonight.

bhajis.jpg

The recipe made about 18 small bhajis at about 4 carbs each. Very easy to make and much tastier than shop-bought.

This geezer shows how to make them...

S

Sable_Jan

Last night we had veg and chickpea curry on shredded lettuce, onion bhajis and chilli and mint Alpro yogurt dip. Leftovers tonight.

bhajis.jpg

The recipe made about 18 small bhajis at about 4 carbs each. Very easy to make and much tastier than shop-bought.

This geezer shows how to make them...

Looks & sounds lovely

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vegetarian, and also low carb:

B - always the same - Quorn bacon, 80-100g baby plum tomatoes, two eggs

L - 25-30g oats with chia seeds, grated ginger, dark chocolate, cinnamon, mixed with almond butter and unsweetened soya milk

Dinner - Quorn pieces stir-fried with tomatoes, red/green peppers, broccoli, spinach, halloumi cheese and olives (picture attached - in case anyone's interested!)

Dessert - Stewed fresh rhubarb with a bit of dark chocolate melted in

Snacks - two Nature Valley peanut bars / almond butter with dark chocolate / veg with guacamole / hemp protein shake / Coyo coconut milk yoghurt

Beverages; amaretto coffee (plenty of coffee), rhubarb or turmeric tea
Soft drinks - only water

dinner.jpg

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Odin004 I could eat your lunch right now! :cat:

B: almond milk (no time for anything today)

L: blueberries, Alpro yogurt, flaked almonds, ginger. Supergreens drink

D: LM quarter pounder and salad on Lidl roll, some stolen popcorn

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: golden milk

L: supergreens drink, walnuts

D: 2 new sausages and 2 new burgers, slice of high protein toast

I have posted on the vegan thread about the new Veggie Kitchen range from Farmfoods. I tried the sausages and burgers tonight and they are soooo tasty! Great texture and herby taste. Not bad for carbs and protein. They have mince and meatballs too, but my freezer is still too packed to buy them.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
B: Muesli

L: Hummus salad sandwich & olives

D: Pumpkin ravioli & salad

Not been able to eat much recently, but today was OK. Still trying to eat lower carb; about 100g.

S

Sable_Jan

B: Muesli

L: Hummus salad sandwich & olives

D: Pumpkin ravioli & salad

Not been able to eat much recently, but today was OK. Still trying to eat lower carb; about 100g.
Glad you had a good day.
Might do Linda McCartney sausages & cauli tonight. Should've bought more than 2 boxes cos they were on offer at Sainsbury's last week.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @Sable_Jan

I ate pretty much the same as yesterday, but I've just made a lentil spaghetti bolognese (a little pasta, extra olive oil, and with a smattering of grated cheddar).

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sunday roast:

Chestnut mushrooms stuffed with tofu and cashew "ricotta" and pesto with smoked coconut sprinkles
Roast herby veg and smoked chipotle olives
Melba toast (Tesco high protein bread)
Lettuce and baby spinach leaves from the garden (got them hidden from the slugs!)

ricotta_mushrooms.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @Avocado Sevenfold

I'm generally ok, just "up and down" in terms of eating*, so not much worth posting on this thread!

I'm actually away on holiday this week (Yorkshire coast), more to give my wife a well-deserved break, although she's still stuck with me :)

*My consultant is trying to get me prioritised for the procedure I've been waiting for (to have my duodenum expanded): so that should help.

Best wishes to you/everyone x

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesterday (look away now if you're LCHF):

B: Granola and a cinnamon bagel

L: Manchester's finest cuisine: the chip butty

D: Pasta with beans/veg in tomato sauce. Strawberries & cream

Basically everything possible including chocolate biscuits, crisps & orange juice to keep my BG up for long walks on holiday :)

S

Sable_Jan

Yesterday (look away now if you're LCHF):

B: Granola and a cinnamon bagel

L: Manchester's finest cuisine: the chip butty

D: Pasta with beans/veg in tomato sauce. Strawberries & cream

Basically everything possible including chocolate biscuits, crisps & orange juice to keep my BG up for long walks on holiday :)
And why not make the most of being on holiday!!
Lots of walking, you've earned your treats...

Had some strawberry ice-cream today....home made...experimenting. just whipped cream and pureed strawberries with a bit of sweetener. I did use the recipes in book that came with ice-cream maker and they're fine eaten soon as its ready but freeze hard like an ice-cream lolly.....and I got rid of my moulds.....

Reactions: Ledzeptt and pms543