Verbal alarms on dexcom?

Mike6387

Hi Guys and Girls,

My first post on the forum so hope I’m doing it correctly!

I've been a T1D for 36 years and just over a year ago was moved on Freestyle Libre. This was a huge improvement in my life as I’m a needle phobic, I’ve never actually injected myself without an automated sprung loaded device, so not having to finger prick was an added bonus! I was moved onto Libre 2 with the alarms, but was suffering from numerous sensor failures (try again in 10mins). As I work at heights, this wasn’t very helpful so I’ve reverted back to Libre1. Im using Xdrip to send the info to my watch and this also has alarms, I currently use the verbal “ caution low glucose” alarm, thinking that somebody may hear it if I was in trouble, unlike a traditional phone alarm.

Now I’ve been approved for pump therapy and hoping to move onto the dexcom G6 so that I can use control IQ. I’m aware that dexcom have numerous alarms, but non are verbal. Does anyone have any idea how I could get a verbal alarm with this proposed system?

Many thanks

Mike

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Guys and Girls,

My first post on the forum so hope I’m doing it correctly!

I've been a T1D for 36 years and just over a year ago was moved on Freestyle Libre. This was a huge improvement in my life as I’m a needle phobic, I’ve never actually injected myself without an automated sprung loaded device, so not having to finger prick was an added bonus! I was moved onto Libre 2 with the alarms, but was suffering from numerous sensor failures (try again in 10mins). As I work at heights, this wasn’t very helpful so I’ve reverted back to Libre1. Im using Xdrip to send the info to my watch and this also has alarms, I currently use the verbal “ caution low glucose” alarm, thinking that somebody may hear it if I was in trouble, unlike a traditional phone alarm.

Now I’ve been approved for pump therapy and hoping to move onto the dexcom G6 so that I can use control IQ. I’m aware that dexcom have numerous alarms, but non are verbal. Does anyone have any idea how I could get a verbal alarm with this proposed system?

Many thanks

Mike
I thought xDrip supports Dexcom as well as Libre.
Have you looked into using it for verbal Dexcom alerts.
I understand quite a few Dexcom uses use xDrip as the number of phones supporting the Dexcom app is limited.
I used the Dexcom app when trialling Dexcom and found its functionality limited, especially when reviewing history (you have to use a different app/website). So if I migrated from Libre to Dexcom permanently, I would continue with xDrip.

Have you tried using Libre 2 with xDrip? I find xDrip is more forgiving than the Libre app so rarely see the “try again in 10 minutes” type message (xDrip reports something about faulty raw data).
There are a number of options to hijack the Libre Bluetooth signal. I use the OOP2 app.

Last edited:

Mike6387

Thank you for your replies, I’ll take a look at xDrip for the dexcom. Thought that dexcom could only be connected to two things at once, ie the pump and the dexcom app on the phone…. I had so many problems with Libre 2, on one occasion it took 6 hours to start working! When I talked to their help desk when ordering a replacement they admitted they’ve got lots of reliability problems with version 2.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As well as lots of 'try again in 10mins' messages with the Libre 2 my last two sensors failed after application. As I was in Rhodes at the time no chance of replacements. I had my Accu-Chek meter and lots of strips with me so was OK. Abbott are replacing the two faulty sensors but there must be concerns about the reliability of Libre 2.
I've also had quite a few sensors where either the high or low glucose alarms don't sound. I've always checked the set up on my Android phone and no issues there.
Although CGM is great when it works, I'm almost beginning to think the old finger pricking system is simpler and my readings are lower.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although CGM is great when it works, I'm almost beginning to think the old finger pricking system is simpler and my readings are lower.

I haven’t even tried CGM and I already think that. CGM has definite advantages in certain situations, no question. But there are a bunch ot tradeoffs versus conventional blood sugar testing and I think every patient has to make an evaluation based on their own needs and preferences.