Very blood shot eye

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I am not sure whether I should be worried about this. I have a very badly blood shot eye which is spreading upwards from the length of the bottom of my eye. I have been unwell this week with high BG and Ketones on Monday and Tuesday. I have been injecting every 2-3 hrs and yesterday thought I had turned a corner and am slightly better. I have been up in the night with my Libre alarm going off all week. Last night I injected Fiasp at midnight but then I stayed just under the high BG alarm threshold until 6 am this morning when I injected both Fiasp and Levemir. About an hour later I looked in the mirror and saw my eye.
Having googled this I am wondering if the BG of around 13 all night could be a cause? I have checked my blood pressure and it’s ok I think now 120/88 but could have been higher in the night. Now up and about the bloodshot eye seems to be getting slightly worse or is this just the burst blood vessel spreading around my eye? It’s not in my iris but all around the bottom half. Should I be worried or will it just disperse eventually anyway? Had my retinopathy test in September, completely clear. I do get blurry vision easily. Any advice please?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't blame you not wanting to sit in A&E. Hope you get sorted :)

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't blame you not wanting to sit in A&E. Hope you get sorted :)
Thanks I phoned my optician, who is a friendly independent, I emailed a couple of photos. It’s subconjunctival hemorrhage. Basically burst blood vessels. No need for treatment just wait a for it to clear. No obvious cause like excessive coughing or lifting heavy objects, so high blood sugar all night a distinct possibility. A good idea to call the optician, thank you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been unwell this week with high BG and Ketones on Monday and Tuesday.
How are your BG's now, and do you still have ketones? Have you contacted someone for advice when this happened? Please don't try to treat a possible DKA by yourself, this can deteriorate very quickly.

Hope you'll feel better soon and your eye will be fine!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Hertfordshiremum Yes i've had this about 3 times now, it's really worrying when it happens and looks shocking but it will clear in about a week. Each time it happens I get alarmed but just have to sit tight and wait for it to disappear, hope it clears soon x

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How are your BG's now, and do you still have ketones? Have you contacted someone for advice when this happened? Please don't try to treat a possible DKA by yourself, this can deteriorate very quickly.

Hope you'll feel better soon and your eye will be fine!
Hi Antje

Yes I am a bit better thanks, whenever I am ill I have such a problem with high BG and ketones. I wear the Libre and check frequently. I managed to get through it without calling 111 by injecting every 2 hours.
I have been upping my Levemir every day but still clearly not right as still going up when the Fiasp wears off. It’s difficult as when I start to feel better the Levemir is then usually too high. Managed to get into single figures this morning so feeling like I have turned a corner. Thank you for asking.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Hertfordshiremum Yes i've had this about 3 times now, it's really worrying when it happens and looks shocking but it will clear in about a week. Each time it happens I get alarmed but just have to sit tight and wait for it to disappear, hope it clears soon x
Thank you, that’s reassuring to hear.

Dark Horse

Sub-conjunctival haemorrhage looks alarming but it's generally harmless.

The Patient website says:-
'No treatment is required. They usually fade and disappear within two weeks. (Like any other bruise, the red colour will go a yellow/brown colour before it fades away.) Do mention to your doctor if:

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum