Very confused

Anders_UK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently been diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic, but I'm finding that I don't struggle with my blood sugar going high, which is what I would of thought would be the issue with a lack of insulin. Yet all I seem to be doing is trying to stop it from dropping all the time. I'm not using basal insulin after meals for correcting at all now, as it is reducing my sugar level too fast (unless I eat something really high in carbs like pizza or other takeaways). I have 15 units of Bolus insulin every night. I just imagined that, being type 1 diabetic, my sugar levels would be much higher. Does anyone else experience this?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
T2 here, but have you got Basal and Bolus the wrong way round?
I would assume you take Basal once a day and then Bolus after meals.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At a very rough guess you may just taking too much of that overnight insulin - you need to talk to your diabetic team/nurse and let them know asap and they will try and sort outa better dosage for you for the time being (as things do change) - please talk to your team before making any changes though (since I could be completely wrong)

I'm guessing you're probably still in the 'honeymoon phase' so your pancreas may well still be helping some of the time as well

But yes (like LittleGreyCat) I am also assuming the overnight insulin is the basal - ie the long-lasting one (its easy to get the names the wrong way round at the beginning)

(edited for a big fat typo - oops)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if I can be any help here ( There is a question mark around my type) as I am not on insulin, but my pancreas produces insulin in an unstable fashion. I am not producing enough insulin. I have noticed that my insulin secretion varies significantly from day to day. Nothing to do with the food as you might be thinking, I tested it. I can't think I am unusual but do we produce insulin in a stable way? I'm hoping this doesn't confuse you more. I have attached two recent cgms over two different days to demonstrate my point.
blood sugar 1.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess what I am trying to say is this, if slow adult onset Type 1 happens as a gradual attack, a slow destruction of beta cells , slow enough that replication of beta cells can still take place, small skirmishes if you will with moments of re-grouping (honeymoon period). Against an all out war and total massacre of beta cells with no replenishing taking place in child onset type 1. There is no instability as the entire kit and caboodle has been wiped out. And Type 2 which is a process failure with the eventual long term burnout of beta cells but relatively stable pancreas secretion.

In short is your pancreas, for the time being, still secreting insulin in a stable manner or, due to your body’s autoimmune responses, made your pancreas unstable in its secretion of insulin and, therefore, difficult to manage? I guess that’s my point. And I totally accept that it could just be down to insulin management.