Type 2 Very high bg after breakfast

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
T2. I observe these days that I always feel very tired, restless arms down and sleepy after breakfast and after taking my meds usually 500mg metformin and 5mg glibenclamide. I put this on a thread about 3 days ago, a member suggested I should test after my meal.
Dismayed that my bg was 16.8 was 16.8 @11: 52 am after eating and taking my meds. whereas 7.55 am, it was 5.5.
what is happening?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Olufisayo . I'm not T2 so I'm not going to suggest anything other than you let people on the forum have a bit more information.
What was breakfast? Hopefully some knowledgeable T2's will be along to offer help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
T2. I observe these days that I always feel very tired, restless arms down and sleepy after breakfast and after taking my meds usually 500mg metformin and 5mg glibenclamide. I put this on a thread about 3 days ago, a member suggested I should test after my meal.
Dismayed that my bg was 16.8 was 16.8 @11: 52 am after eating and taking my meds. whereas 7.55 am, it was 5.5.
what is happening?

It would seem there were far too many carbs in your breakfast. The glucose released from these carbs plus the glucose your liver dumped after you got up and started moving about will have caused this huge rise. I am assuming here, of course, that there were carbs in your breakfast. The tiredness etc that you felt would be down to high glucose levels.

What exactly did you eat, and what else did you do after taking your first test?

Reactions: Olufisayo

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Olufisayo . I'm not T2 so I'm not going to suggest anything other than you let people on the forum have a bit more information.
What was breakfast? Hopefully some knowledgeable T2's will be along to offer help.

Thanks! Breakfast was yam porridge. These days I have it high.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It would seem there were far too many carbs in your breakfast. The glucose released from these carbs plus the glucose your liver dumped after you got up and started moving about will have caused this huge rise. I am assuming here, of course, that there were carbs in your breakfast. The tiredness etc that you felt would be down to high glucose levels.

What exactly did you eat, and what else did you do after taking your first test?

The breakfast was mashed yam porridge cooked with palm oil and spices. After the first test, I started reading on this forum.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The breakfast was mashed yam porridge cooked with palm oil and spices. After the first test, I started reading on this forum.

I am not familiar with yam porridge, but a quick Google tells me that yams are starchy and high in carbs. Your meter has told you it is not a good food choice for you. Perhaps change it to eggs. Maybe an omelette?

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am not familiar with yam porridge, but a quick Google tells me that yams are starchy and high in carbs. Your meter has told you it is not a good food choice for you. Perhaps change it to eggs. Maybe an omelette?

Google gave the true description of yam. It is purely a big root vegetable. In west Africa, to prepare the porridge, we peel the back of the yam, wash it and cut it into small pieces. When it is almost cooked, we add spices pepper, leafy vegetables and our local palm oil. I went for it because I thought it had fibres.
But this happens with other breakfast I take too.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Olufisayo most root vegetables are very high in carbs, and I am not aware of many T2's who can keep the Blood Sugar increase to acceptable levels after eating them. If you don't have access to eggs or plain yoghurt, would you be able to miss this meal altogether and break you fast at lunchtime?

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Olufisayo most root vegetables are very high in carbs, and I am not aware of many T2's who can keep the Blood Sugar increase to acceptable levels after eating them. If you don't have access to eggs or plain yoghurt, would you be able to miss this meal altogether and break you fast at lunchtime?
Appreciation! I have access to eggs. They mix sugar with the yoghurt we have here. I only take it once in a while. I have learnt my lesson.

Reactions: hankjam

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Appreciation! I have access to eggs. They mix sugar with the yoghurt we have here. I only take it once in a while. I have learnt my lesson.

Perfect .... try eggs cooked any way you like for breakfast, but don't add anything with carbs. Let us know how you go on.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Perfect .... try eggs cooked any way you like for breakfast, but don't add anything with carbs. Let us know how you go on.

Appreciation! Diabetes is a mysterious disease. I refused to eat yesterday after my ordeal with 16.8 bg after breakfast. Around 6 45pm in the evening I had hypo but meanwhile my intended dinner of green plantain was already done. I grabbed it and I started eating it. Within 10 minutes I was alright but I still took only 500mg metformin at bed time. @ 7:45 am this morning my bg was 5.4.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yams have 48.8 grams of carbs in them.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/yam

Palm oil has 0 carbs, but destroys native animal habitat so that is bad.

Thank you very much for this information! Ignorance is one the reasons why people die in all these third world countries. Do you know that we still have another delicacy prepared by pounding cooked yam which is deadliest for diabetics. This is largely eaten by my vast tribe. Majority cannot do without eating it in a day. Too many dishes with yam!

Reactions: Incyb

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Olufisayo, I have tried to write before about the type of food that your eating. All the Eba, Poundo and Semo along with any yam is really bad due to the portion sizes that we eat. I would suggest that you look at making your swallow with cabbage and physullium husk. Also forget meat and chicken, go for the fish. The sell sugar free Greek yogurt in Shoprite. I know that the temperature is really hot at the moment but are you exercising? Good luck. PS Fresh Zobo on its own is really good for blood sugar.

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meat and chicken are fine, so I don't understand why you advise against those?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The way that we consume meat in Nigeria is very very high. Anyone that has lived in Nigeria can confirm this. I’m also a believer in the link between T2& Red meat. The same with the way we consume chicken.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The way that we consume meat in Nigeria is very very high. Anyone that has lived in Nigeria can confirm this. I’m also a believer in the link between T2& Red meat. The same with the way we consume chicken.

I don't avoid red meat, just as I don't restrict dairy (except milk). I don't like (and never have liked) any meat fat apart from bacon. I choose lean cuts and remove any visible fat once cooked. That is personal taste and not because of any health reasons. I have a lovely looking piece of fillet steak in the fridge for my evening meal today, and tomorrow we are having a roast joint of topside beef.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know of anything crispy to have for breakfast (missing my toast and butter) which is low carb. I struggle to know what to eat, dont like dairy except cheese and butter and eggs are usually for my other meals of the day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know of anything crispy to have for breakfast (missing my toast and butter) which is low carb. I struggle to know what to eat, dont like dairy except cheese and butter and eggs are usually for my other meals of the day.

Do you have a Lidl near you? If so, I recommend you try the freshly baked high protein rolls. Many of us on the forum eat these with little effect on our blood glucose. Sliced in half and toasted, then generously spread with butter are delicious. I am addicted. They have around 9 or 10g carbs per roll (9.8g per 100g) but I can't manage a whole roll - one half is enough for me as they are very filling. They are 29p each, and freeze well.

Reactions: SueJB

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google gave the true description of yam. It is purely a big root vegetable. In west Africa, to prepare the porridge, we peel the back of the yam, wash it and cut it into small pieces. When it is almost cooked, we add spices pepper, leafy vegetables and our local palm oil. I went for it because I thought it had fibres.
But this happens with other breakfast I take too.
Have you come across heba pap? In South Africa it is reccomended as a low carb alternative to maize porridge which I would guess has similar carb issues as yam porridge tho Ive no idea how closely related they are in taste etc
https://bantingblvd.co.za/products/heba