Very hungry new Diabetic

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi the info from Desmond and following NHS resources you can obtain states Hbal1c 6.5% which is under 7 especially for a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Long term over 7 is not good. Not seen the NICE guidelines but the Desmond team stated readings should be between 4-7. so conflicting info here??. going under 4 is okay for type 2 this was confirmed by the Desmond team as non diabetics also go under 4. Better with lower readings aim low stay low.

HbA1c of 6.5% equates to 7.8mmol/l. Over this level on diagnosis, and you are classed as diabetic. You are mixing up your measurement units. mmol/l is the unit used on our UK meters.

The DESMOND readings of 4 to 7 relate to fasting levels, not post meal levels. This also follows NICE guidance, which says for type 2's fasting should be 4 to 7mmol/l, post meal at 2 hours under 8.5mmol/l.

In fact, for less well controlled type 2's, the HbA1c target to aim for is an HbA1c of 7% which equates to 8.5mmol/l.

I agree, the lower the better, and once we have some sort of good control we need to aim for non-diabetic levels, but those levels may well put newly diagnosed people off initially.

Reactions: 2 people

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
Yes just clicked lol. Good thing is i have been following a 6-7 mmol/l topside post food but lately im around 5.4/5.6 post meal/snack on low carb high protien and less when doing weights and cardio. Desmond team did tell our group to be within 4-7no mention of fasting and post though but no one in my group tested themselves besides me.This i was told also by the diabetic nurse no fasting or post mentioned here either. So that's what i did, i have read the Nice page and see what your saying.

Reactions: 4 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Hi your blood sugars should be within 4 to 7 mml falling under 4 is ok for a type 2 but im afraid 8.5 little too over sorry. just to help with your eating you can eat as normal just cut you portions down try and graze more on nuts etc, remember fibre slows digestion down and so the intake of carbs to sugar! or if your able you can go for the low carb,high protein option, everyone's different in there capabilities when changing there lifestyle. Don`t forget your not on a diet but a lifestyle change. im not going to bore you with my stats but i am newly diagnosed this year not on any meds and have dropped 3st i work nights and diabetes runs in my family so have no idea of the cause as as all are culpable.if you want any advice if i know it i will gladly share Good Luck.

If i fell under 4 id be seriously concerned.and as for 8.5 id not be too concerned at that one.I was told 4 to 9 is acceptable

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speaking of the Hba1C i have to have a blood test 1st October prior to my next app with the nurse 8th Oct i forgot to ask if i have to fast for this test and if so how long for.Its sumat im not familiar with yet.

Thursday is gunna be interesting for me as ill be admitted to surgery on that day and i cant have owt to eat after 7:30am and after 11:30am i cant have any form of drink till the surgery is complete and im back on the ward.Ive made it known to the hospital that im type 2 diabetic.Good job im not on insulin or tabs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking of the Hba1C i have to have a blood test 1st October prior to my next app with the nurse 8th Oct i forgot to ask if i have to fast for this test and if so how long for.Its sumat im not familiar with yet.

Thursday is gunna be interesting for me as ill be admitted to surgery on that day and i cant have owt to eat after 7:30am and after 11:30am i cant have any form of drink till the surgery is complete and im back on the ward.Ive made it known to the hospital that im type 2 diabetic.Good job im not on insulin or tabs.

If you are anything like me, you will be too nervous to worry about being hungry. When I was in the ward waiting to be taken down the anaesthetist came to do his usual checks and gave me (and the others waiting) a small cup of water to drink. Good luck with the surgery.

As for your blood tests, if it is just an HbA1c test there is no need to fast. If it will include cholesterol tests, it is better to fast but make sure you tell the nurse doing the test that you fasted so she can use the correct labels, otherwise the print out will come back recorded as non-fasting. Fasting is usually 12 hours or longer.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Johnboy - Do you have the form for your blood tests? if you do, the fast/non-fasting aspect will be on there somewhere.

And, as Bluetit says, I wouldn't stress over hunger on Thursday. It's amazing how it disappears, "in the moment", and it's only until late morning, by your estimations.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Johnboy - Do you have the form for your blood tests? if you do, the fast/non-fasting aspect will be on there somewhere.

And, as Bluetit says, I wouldn't stress over hunger on Thursday. It's amazing how it disappears, "in the moment", and it's only until late morning, by your estimations.

Yeah i have the form.Never thought that it may be on there.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you are anything like me, you will be too nervous to worry about being hungry. When I was in the ward waiting to be taken down the anaesthetist came to do his usual checks and gave me (and the others waiting) a small cup of water to drink. Good luck with the surgery.

As for your blood tests, if it is just an HbA1c test there is no need to fast. If it will include cholesterol tests, it is better to fast but make sure you tell the nurse doing the test that you fasted so she can use the correct labels, otherwise the print out will come back recorded as non-fasting. Fasting is usually 12 hours or longer.

Yeah i sure will be and thanks

Oh right well as andbreath said it will prob have instructions on the form that she gave to me.