Very hungry new Diabetic

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Once you get the BS down, insulin resistance down, and get stable, try some.
But not yet.

You need to get your weight down, build up muscle, so your body can use glucose a lot better than it can now.
Until then, you need to avoid things that spike you.
I'm fortunate in that I have lost 4 stones, built good muscle, got my BMI down to 25, and I can cope with some carbs.
It took me a year to get the weight off with a low GI diet, portion controlled, then re-introducing some carbs, to see how well I could cope.
And a lot of testing.

Yeah loosing weight doesnt happen over night.Well not usually.Its something that has to be worked at unless you dabble with such as slim fast as some women have done.Id not wanna dabble with anything like that weight should be lost naturally

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Shame really.
Still we've others others that don't mind helping, so the op's had good advice.

I agree entirely though, you should never tell people what to eat.

Far better to simply say, like Bluetit, Jackthelad, and myself, simply what we eat, and let the poster decide their own path.
We're all different.

how will it help if i say i eat high fat foods? only for the next person to say they eat low fat, then the next moderate fat, then ill say dont eat bread, so you can say your fine with one slice, then someone will say they eat a loaf a day, how is this being helpful? you want my help?....

Dont Eat Carbs! Eat Fat!

or... if you prefere it,

I Dont Eat Carbs! I Eat Fat! decide for yourself what you eat

i cant believe you even asked for my opinion, to suggest i dont want to help someone is beyond insulting, when you talk about eating pot noodles? is that you mean by telling people what you eat and letting them decide?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought fried stuff was out ?

@johnboy412000

You need to go back to the beginning of this post (and you created another thread too, didn't you?).
Read them again, from start to finish.

People have been giving you excellent advice, over and over again.
The same advice, over and over again.

You have also been given links to websites that answer all your questions and give the same advice.

Have you read them?

Reactions: 4 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
how will it help if i say i eat high fat foods? only for the next person to say they eat low fat, then the next moderate fat, then ill say dont eat bread, so you can say your fine with one slice, then someone will say they eat a loaf a day, how is this being helpful? you want my help?....

Dont Eat Carbs! Eat Fat!

or... if you prefere it,

i cant believe you even asked for my opinion, to suggest i dont want to help someone is beyond insulting, when you talk about eating pot noodles? is that you mean by telling people what you eat and letting them decide?

Its kinda confusing isnt it

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@johnboy412000

You need to go back to the beginning of this post (and you created another thread too, didn't you?).
Read them again, from start to finish.

People have been giving you excellent advice, over and over again.
The same advice, over and over again.

You have also been given links to websites that answer all your questions and give the same advice.

Have you read them?

Yeah ive read them but what i find confusing is how one person may say fatty stuff is ok and another might chip in with that they had a bad experience with fatty stuff.I read on a doctor website thingy that its ok to eat fat and on another site its best to cut as much fat off meat etc as possible.I always cut the fat off my bacon before i cut it ive never liked eating too much fat at any time in my life.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
not really mate, not after a while, carbs are our enemy, bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, eat foods high in these groups and test your blood, then eat foods low in these groups and test your blood, your monitor will tell you all you need to ever know

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very, very, simple.

You are diabetic, so your body cannot stay healthy eating the amount of carbs you used to eat.
But if you just eat fewer carbs you will be hungry.
To avoid being hungry, you eat more veg, meat, fish, eggs, cheese and salad.
This may include some more fat.
But that is ok, because otherwise you would be hungry.

You are not going to be stuffing in grease.
You are going to be eating enough to avoid being hungry.

So, the even simpler version:
Reduce the carbs you eat A LOT
Fill up on other stuff so that you are not hungry.

Everyone has been telling you this.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK this is my advice and it's similar to lots of people, but there will be someone waiting to reply to this and tell you I'm wrong. This is what I did. I cut out all bread (white and brown) all potatoes, rice, pasta , sugar, cakes, pastries, fizzy drinks (except sparkling mineral water) The only fruit I had was berries.

Now you may be able to manage to eat some of those foods above, for instance boiled potatoes with butter may be fine for you personally. As Andy and others have said test your blood. Your monitor will tell you if you need to cut out all of these foods or not. Generally fresh, unprocessed foods are best. You can have extra fat to stop yourself from being hungry, again you will find out what level of fat is right for you personally

I am really pleased that you have taken it on board that you need to change your eating habits and wish you the best of luck with this. Low carb with enough fat is the way to go. Fat isn't bad for you (except trans fat which is bad for you). I don't have low fat products because they either have sugar or sweeteners, which may still affect your BG's

Happy Birthday.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
[QUOTE=".I always cut the fat off my bacon before i cut it ive never liked eating too much fat at any time in my life.[/QUOTE]

So how did you get so overweight?

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You're getting different advice, as it was different for all of us,
Read through our stories, read what worked for us as individuals.
You mentioned 'slim fast' - read the newcastle diet threads.

It would be nice if they was a simple formula we could give you, with a list of things to so.
There isn't. We each found our own way.

I don't low carb personally, but as others have said, it works very well for them.
As Andy has said, I went low GI, low calorie, had a good result, and yes, even manage the odd pot noodle now when I need to, if there is nothing else, as I'm not as carb intolerant as I was, and eat low GI carbs normally.
Pot noodle is not something I'd recommend, but keeping the options open suits me.

But you need to make a change, sort out the carbs, lose the weight,
But you need to do changes you can keep to for life.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a simple formula which works for me and many others - LCEF or if you like to call it its usual name LCHF

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Dont Eat Carbs! Eat Fat!

or... if you prefere it,

I guess you need to re-read it.
I said it was a shame you felt that way.
Good others did't mind chipping in though, and agreed with you we shouldn't be telling others what to eat, just recounting our experiences for others to read.

Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To put it simply, we are all different.
Where we are similar, generally, is that the majority of those of us who have had success in reducing our blood sugars have done the following:

1) Test before eating anything
2) Test again, 1 hour after, and 2 hours after.
3) Decide upon an acceptable blood sugar reading
4) If the food you eat is causing a result above your personal acceptable reading, then go to step one, changing what you eat.
5) Repeat until you know what foods cause you to spike.
6) Stop eating these foods.
7) Continue to do this over the course of a month, and you will be surprised at the results.

Your meter may tell you that the things you like are bad, when this happens, you have to decide whether:

a) I will eat these, running the risk of premature blindness, amputation, and kidney disease
or
b) that these foods are simply not worth the risk.

Reactions: 6 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well after a day like i had yesterday eating wise big breakfast for lunch and some of that Gala pie with egg in the middle and my usual 2 plums and a small handfull of grapes whilst watching telly it got to about 10:30pm and i decided to do a test brain secretly expecting to see spiked figures in fact was gobsmacked when the meter read an astonishing 6.6.I'd expected it to be in double figures after that lot.I bet the wife's readings would have been much higher than that as shes on insulin.Maybe my body is quite capable of handling things better than most.Anyway in a few hours ill be face to face with the diabetic nurse.Have an interesting chat with her.Must try and remember to ask her about an Health trainer and wether shed be happy to refer me to one.Im still waiting for Desmond to allocate me a place on a course they did say that there was a waiting list and it could be next year before i got anywhere.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[QUOTE=".I always cut the fat off my bacon before i cut it ive never liked eating too much fat at any time in my life.

So how did you get so overweight?[/QUOTE]

I dont know Jack perhaps its middle aged spread after all i am 54.Honestly i have no idea how i came to be 90kg.Through out my younger years from baby to teenager i was reasonably plumpish.Born weight 9 stone 1lb.In to my teenage years i somehow slimmed down.Through out most of my younger working life i was around 8 stones fully clothed.It wasnt untill i got in to later life prob early 40's that i started to gain what some would call a 6 pack except my drinking days were long gone by the time id entered 40's.Maybe its cos i was contented i dunno.Maybe its cos im not burning as much energy off as i used to.1 thing i am sure of is the days of eating a large plateful(mother used to pile my plate high each day throughout my 20's) have also long gone.I feel full much sooner these days.I certainly cant manage a pudding after a meal now.Maybe it runs in the family my dad gained a lot of weight when he was in his mid 40's and went to weight watchers etc.Since i gave up working to look after my disabled wife 7 years ago ive not been burning as many calories off.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

or

Never was a truer word spoken.We are all different and as the saying goes One man's meat is another mans poison.What might work well for Mr A might not be suitable for Mr B

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

a) I will eat these, running the risk of premature blindness, amputation, and kidney disease
or

Maybe my recent and ongoing Kidney/Urinal tract problems and the little stay in hospital planned for next Thursday for further tests etc are caused by diabetes or rather the onset of it and being blind to it coming on before being diagnosed as diabetic maybe if id have followed the nurses wishes way back in January and gone for the Glucose tolerance test at that point rather than leaving it so late on might have prevented the lesions from forming on my Kidneys.Sorry thats just one thought coursing through my mind.Or maybe its just an infection that has decided to manifest its ugly head (All part of what life throws at us) ill never know that answer.But i do know i have to take action to prevent owt like that happening again along with the possible premature blindness etc.My point being maybe the diabetes has been coming on for quite some time and ive been oblivious to it untill my GP picked up on something way back in January 2014 cant remember what it was i went to see him about now.

Last edited by a moderator:

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope your meeting with the diabetic nurse goes well and you get some useful answers. :)