Very low blood sugar reading

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I wish there was something I could do or say that'd make it all better. As for the cupcake, it was what was on hand and the other options wouldn't've gotten your sugars back up. Nothing pathetic about eating that. Though the sugars in there wouldnt've been fast, so I hope you drank something to go with it.

Maybe you should get your meter checked, just in case. Another member was seeing weird, downright extreme hypo numbers on a new meter and it turned out to be a dud. (Not the strips, but the meter itself. So yeah, it happens.).

I know it's a chore, and hard and everything... I really do. Just try to keep at it. Pretty please?
I will check my meter when I get home.

Its been fine so far so no reason why it should suddenly go wrong but who knows..

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will check my meter when I get home.

Its been fine so far so no reason why it should suddenly go wrong but who knows..
my son (also AS) has gone as low as 2.1 after a few days of minimal eating, despite him not being diabetic. I do have a theory that AS people use glucose in a slightly different way, just from my observations of the several AS people in my wider family, and are more prone to sudden drops when not diabetic.

But please talk to your GP as well, the hospital checked out my son thoroughly. Adapting and preparing to add carbs as and when needed to relieve a drop is not failing - its learning to control your condition and is a good thing. All the best.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my son (also AS) has gone as low as 2.1 after a few days of minimal eating, despite him not being diabetic. I do have a theory that AS people use glucose in a slightly different way, just from my observations of the several AS people in my wider family, and are more prone to sudden drops when not diabetic.

But please talk to your GP as well, the hospital checked out my son thoroughly. Adapting and preparing to add carbs as and when needed to relieve a drop is not failing - its learning to control your condition and is a good thing. All the best.
Thank you.

I know I am not eating enough. Well, not eating enough of the right stuff..and none of the wrong stuff.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Totally agree I've noticed this with my ASD son - he likes a very strict timetable for meals - on a couple of occasions when he's gone past even by an hour he has all the symptoms of hypo - a drink of juice and a biscuit sorts it. Also after a meltdown it can present as well. Don't test him though to be honest as he has a needle phobia and trying to stick a sharp in him would make the situation 100 times worse

Reactions: lucylocket61

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed about 5-6 years ago, I think.

Maximum dose of Metformin per day.

Most people are very unlikely to get a bad hypo while just taking Metformin. Many people find that if they just make themselves safe, for example sit down for a short time, their liver will do its job and increase BG. Having the cupcake to hand while doing this would be very wise, so you can eat it if your BG does not start to recover within 10 minutes.

Clearly if you can't make yourself safe, you need to go for the cupcake without delay.

The advice people gave you above was the corect advice, as they did not know you were only on Metformin.

Reactions: Patrick66

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Totally agree I've noticed this with my ASD son - he likes a very strict timetable for meals - on a couple of occasions when he's gone past even by an hour he has all the symptoms of hypo - a drink of juice and a biscuit sorts it. Also after a meltdown it can present as well. Don't test him though to be honest as he has a needle phobia and trying to stick a sharp in him would make the situation 100 times worse

The Magic Pill film has a child with ASD on it, see https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2vtsUdGVOmq7zuFODzn8zR

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most people are very unlikely to get a bad hypo while just taking Metformin. Many people find that if they just make themselves safe, for example sit down for a short time, their liver will do its job and increase BG. Having the cupcake to hand while doing this would be very wise, so you can eat it if your BG does not start to recover within 10 minutes.

Clearly if you can't make yourself safe, you need to go for the cupcake without delay.

The advice people gave you above was the corect advice, as they did not know you were only on Metformin.
I didn't say I was having a hypo.

My reading was low but, in fairness, I didn't experience the symptoms apart from feeling a touch light headed. And that could be down to anything.

I ate the cupcake out of an abundance of caution. Yes I am on Metformin for diabetes plus a plethora of other drugs for other things.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I also have a needle phobia. Testing myself is a nightmare.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your readings are accurate, you were having a hypo.

Read the side effects on your other drugs to see if there is anything that could have contributed. Do you take anything that should be taken with or after food?

This is something you really need to take seriously.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 - how far apart were the 1.7 reading and the cupcake? I'm just a bit confused.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Patrick - I think you are a bit all over the place and you need to settle yourself down. A good first step would be to sit down and write out a sensible eating plan for the week and then buy the food that you need so that it's all there when you need it. Controlling diabetes is not about starving yourself and we can't afford to mess about with it. You can sort this out but it requires a bit of thinking and planning. You can do it x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I really don't think you are taking this seriously enough. Are you aware of the dangers that hypoglycaemia can cause?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If your readings are accurate, you were having a hypo.

Read the side effects on your other drugs to see if there is anything that could have contributed. Do you take anything that should be taken with or after food?

This is something you really need to take seriously.
Wow!.

I cant see anywhere that I wrote "I am not taking this seriously". I expressed doubts based on knowing my own body and also genuinely reflected on potential causes eg what I had eaten/exercise etc.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I really don't think you are taking this seriously enough. Are you aware of the dangers that hypoglycaemia can cause?
Really ?.

I have reflected on potential causes of whatever this was and expressed a view based on knowing myself and what I have eaten or done in the last 48-72 hours.

Don't tell me I am "really not taking this seriously enough". If I hadn't thought it serious I would not have posted on here!.

But I now regret that I did!.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Really ?.

I have reflected on potential causes of whatever this was and expressed a view based on knowing myself and what I have eaten or done in the last 48-72 hours.

Don't tell me I am "really not taking this seriously enough". If I hadn't thought it serious I would not have posted on here!.

But I now regret that I did!.

A reading of 1.7 is dangerous. I have never had such a low reading but if I thought I was approaching a 3.0 I would be seeking help and it wouldn't be over the internet it would mean a 111 or if I felt unwell a 999 call.