Very low blood sugar

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed T2 on 20 Jan 17 so this is still fairly new to me. I increased Metformin on Monday to 3x500 and I also take 1x80mg Gliclazide and 1 statin. Since last night I've had very low blood sugars. I've just done one and it was 3.1! I'm feeling shaky and have just eaten a pack of dextrose sweets. I tested this morning first thing and it was 6.6. Last night I did 3 tests and they were 3.6, 4.9 then 4.6. I'm on a LCHF diet. Before all this my bs were ok at anywhere between mid 5,s and under 8.
I don't know what's causing this sudden drop but am feeling really anxious about it.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was diagnosed T2 on 20 Jan 17 so this is still fairly new to me. I increased Metformin on Monday to 3x500 and I also take 1x80mg Gliclazide and 1 statin. Since last night I've had very low blood sugars. I've just done one and it was 3.1! I'm feeling shaky and have just eaten a pack of dextrose sweets. I tested this morning first thing and it was 6.6. Last night I did 3 tests and they were 3.6, 4.9 then 4.6. I'm on a LCHF diet. Before all this my bs were ok at anywhere between mid 5,s and under 8.
I don't know what's causing this sudden drop but am feeling really anxious about it.

numbers of over 4.5 are just normal numbers as if you did not have diabetes, but can be too low when one is on insuline affecting medication.
the low one of 3.1 is far too low... you need to talk to you GP or diabetic nurse.. and maybe have your Gliclazide lowered , but that is only for your GP to decide, so phone them tomorrow morning , and do measure your number before sleep and for security don´t go to sleep with a number lower than at least 7mmol or if that was your usual night number even higher

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and Nanny_B

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, I just measured again and it was just over 8 so the dextrose sweets helped. I will call my DN tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't dip low again tonight.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thats the right thing to do.. and good that you have the meter to know where you are... you could also have some jelly beans as reserve so what you raise your blood glucose with something that taste a bit better than dextrose...

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Ring your DN.
If you have brought your blood glucose down (well done!) you may not need such strong medication any more. :)

Reactions: Nanny_B

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just over a month in was when I was seeing the numbers dipping below 8, but I was not taking Gliclazide, and only one Metformin - the LCHF was doing well - I suspect it is the Gliclazide which is pushing your numbers so low. You can have hypos with it, so keep a sugary food or drink on hand tonight, just in case.

Reactions: Freema and Nanny_B

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Definitely gliclazide is the one to stop. Hopefully your DN will agree and just tell you to stop it.

Reactions: Freema and Nanny_B

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all so much for your replies. It will be great if I can reduce the meds. I'm ringing nurse tomorrow anyway and will see what she says. Is it not the Metformin that affects the blood levels then, but the gliclazide?

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your replies. It will be great if I can reduce the men's. I'm ringing nurse tomorrow anyway and will see what she says. Is it not the Metformin that affects the blood levels then, but the gliclazide?

Gliclazide has a much stronger short term effect to drive down blood glucose (depending on dose, of course), while Metformin has a much smaller effect on blood glucose while working in a couple of other ways too, which are generally helpful to us T2s (helps reduce insulin resistance, and helps the liver)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Gliclazide works by forcing the pancreas to produce extra insulin. When eating low carbs you need less insulin, so the Glic will be keeping your insulin levels too high, making you go low.

Reactions: Nanny_B

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I spoke to my Dr today who advised me to stop taking the Gliclazide. Last one I took was yesterday morning. I'm assuming it takes a few days to be out of my system as my levels have still been on the low side today. Highest was 7.4 this morning, last two have been 4.4 and 4.7. I'm meeting with my DN next week so will take along my record of readings and will see where I go from there.