VERY politically incorrect

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am curious to find out if the majority of T2 diabetics COULD manage without medication if they chose to.
What do people think?

jopar

If a T2 could manage without medication then they wouldn't be on it in the first place!!!!!

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Personally for me no. I have something lacking and the meds replace what is missing.

C

catherinecherub

Can't get my head around this question as it is open to interpretation.

I don't think there is any Type 2 who wishes to take medication but for some there is no choice.

As you yourself take medication, then what is the relevance of the question?

People on medication are often portrayed as failures and this topic does nothing to boost their confidence.

Insulin resistance, metabolism, age, other illnesses, ability to exercise and some medications all affect people's ability on the management of diabetes.

Are you suggesting that if people follow your lead and eat a limited low carb diet then they will not need medication?

Perhaps you need to rephrase the question?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think this is best answered by repeating what is so often posted on this forum and that is that we are all different, some T2's can manage there diabetes by exercise and diet alone some need medication and a few will require insulin.

If you are hoping your hero Dr Bernstein is going to answer this thread and say that every diabetic can survive just by eating lettuce and a macadamia nut then I think you are going to be disappointed Hana

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
catherinecherub said:
People on medication are often portrayed as failures and this topic does nothing to boost their confidence.

Precisely the point I made on another thread Catherine, thank you :) - getting sick of the "holier than thou" attitude of those who do low carb - once again ---

I don't agree with low carbs but I RESPECT THE WAY OTHERS DEAL WITH THEIR DIABETES -ALL I ASK IS THE SAME RESPECT IN RETURN

For the record - no I couldn't manage - I would become ill from other condidtions I have very quickly - my all round health is my concern not just my diabetes :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Actually, ICAN manage without meds. I have tried it. I have to be very strict on the low carb, but it's possible. I choose to take minimal Metformin to give myself a little latitude on diet. After almost 7 years, I only use 2 x 500mg Metformin per day.
Istarted on medication, when first diagnosed, because Ididn't know i could do without and was never given the option.
I never suggested it would be easy, but there are so many like me who are put on to medication, without being told there's's a dietary alternative.
Nearly 7 years ago, I started on 3 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 40mg Gliclazide per day. I was told to eat "normally" and that 10 was my maximum BG. Now I know better
Hana
PS I was told my requirement for medication would gradually increase and would inevitably lead to my needing insulin. No sign of that so far
H

C

catherinecherub

So what you are actually doing is trying to flog the low carb diet.

If you don't need medication then don't waste the NHS money.

jopar

Hanna

I lost the plot when it comes to working out why you asked the question, have got several theories though.. with Due respect your thread and follow up post, comes over very condensending with a attempt to be superior etc, or should I say dam right nasty towards your fellow T2's who HAVE to take the medication they do they have little choice in the matter...

You've made your choice to how you wish to manage your diabetes, which you have the full right to... You are constantly reminding us all, whether we really want to listien to it or not, how fanstastic your wonderful diet is.. You claim that it isn't borning and can be sustained and those of us who choose not to follow your route you condem as fools or killers..

But you are allowed to use medication to provide lattitude what a laugh that phrase is, but, you use it to eat such delights as Raspberry Merinques etc... But yet you Condem other T2's who use there RIGHT of LATTITUDE to eat a 'healthy balanced' diet, one that they maintain day in and day out... And I highly suspect wouldn't dream of munching a nice Rasberry Merinque..

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black

ally5555

TBH - Jo I have lost the plot with this too.

hana - if you are happy off the meds fine but you do not sound it. If you have to eat very little then WHY? I analysed your diet and ate like a sparrow - that would make me miserable.

I do not understand wht you have to try and make those who eat more /take meds and have good control feel as if they are doing wrong.

it is kind of ironic as the low carbers think they eat better food - everyone who is sensible eats the same sort of food but maybe have a small portion of carbs with a meal too.

bufferz

Have to agree with Jopar here I'm afraid, it does come across as rather "preachy", I LC, yet still need my meds right now, maybe in the future I wont but at the moment I do, and why shouldnt I take them? I pay my taxes (Even more after today, cheers NuLabour!), so why shouldnt I have medication if it stops me getting worse illnesses later on, I for one dont really fancy losing my feet as I have become rather attached to them, nor my eyesight for the sake of it.

My meds allow me a bit of freedom with what I eat, if I fancy a 200g bar of Galaxy I can have it, I dont every day, but I would rather that than have to watch every single morsel I may or may not put into my mouth for fear of my BGs rocketing. I see your sig shows you are down to 5.1%, well done for that, but that does not give you the right to tell anyone else how they should deal with their conditions
[/rant]

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nice one CarbsRok! :lol:

Nigel

PatrickSutton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Burnt cheese, crispy bacon, avocados
I am happy to take the metformin prescribed for me as part of my own treatment plan and to supplement the beneficial effects produced by modified diet (but normal carbs) and regular exercise, effects verified by regular testing. That is what works for me. Given the potential for diabetic complications, I feel it would be unwise for me not to take the medication.

jopar

Nobblehead..

After studying Bernstein and his methods, I can safely say that nope the examples given are not included in his diet.. I can also say a lot of the foods that low carbers suggest to eat also aren't included in his diet plan...

Bernstien would likely faint at the thought of home made tomato soup, as he very clear that tomato's are idealy off the list, and if you really really must, you may have 1 or 2 small cherry tomatoes occasionally, this is also the same with onions... You may if you really must have a sliver or two of spring/salad onions, but he doesn't like it though

Cowboyjim

Phew, there's some heat developing in this thread. I couldn't resist chiming in.
As to whether MOST T2's can do without meds is a moot point. IMO I doubt it. It's too complex for a simple answer like yes or no.
On the one hand there is the argument it's the NHS having a standard regime for all newly-diagnosed. Certainly, I was not offered alternatives. Perhaps I was not trusted to eat sensibly. Perhaps they knew their official diet would not work. Perhaps they know from harsh experience it's best to be strict with patients to save them from worse later on.
I am a rational human who would have appreciated a discussion or two but no chance. I was on the books and in the system. Byee. We'll let you know, meanwhile start taking these awful pills.
Only by reading places like this forum did I discover the alternatives. Now I low carb as much as I can but I still take the pills. I self-test and I exercise. So I'm hoping it's going well. Next Hba1c time we will see. It was pretty good last time, my first. But no discussion of easing down the met a bit.
Finally, another niggle I have is a fear that my body will become inured to the met. Or that there are side-effects long-term. That said you might do yourself a mischief with the special diet. And there's no one without an axe to grind to ask so I row my own boat pending further info.

ally5555

cow boy - the NHS varies a great deal and many people on here are not given standard info.

I am a Dietitian and work with individuals - in 2 GP practices so everyone has different advice based on mod carbs -tbh most dietitians work that way - it is a pity that a few people on here state otherwise. Maybe they are the ones who are given advice by other HCP!!!

ally5555

hana - why did you start this - you must have known what would happen?

You are a very caring person and I do not like to see everyone having a go because I know you have a passion to help people so why!