1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Very thin and crispy pizza

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Yorksman, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have one of these every week in a moroccan style bar and they are excellent. Furthermore, they can be made by anyone and, for most type 2s, diabetes friendly. The secret is, to use wholegrain tortilla wraps as the base. There are two ways to cook these, either in an oven or in a skillet and then, if required, finished off under a grill.

Tortilla wraps have a glycaemic load of about 80. Compare that with 2 slices of bread in a sandwich which comes out around 260. Wholewheat tortilla wraps have a GL or 40 - 50. This page gives the GI, not GL, of a wholewheat tortilla as 30.

http://www.we-be-healthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Glycemic-Index-We-Be-Healthy.pdf

The difference between GL and GI is that GI is a measurement of the carbs relative to white sugar where sugar is 100. GL is related to portion sizes, in this case, the value of a pizza base, which you can see is considerably lower than a couple of slices of bread. Tortilla wraps make really crips and thin pizzas and if you chose your topping carefully, they taste fantastic.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

WAY too many carbs for me. I would either just eat the toppings or make it at home and use just the topping and heat

3. TinyCat33

TinyCat33 · Member

Yummy! I wanna eat this!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fathead pizza crust tasted great, no grains and very low carb.

5. mist

mist · Guest

A wrap for a pizza base? I like your style..:D

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook