Very worried

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have diabetes 2, I have not been watching what I eat, etc,ive had diabetes for 3 years, I have metformin I take, but my doctor had ne in asap after my regular blood tests were done,. As. they have come back with too many white cells.. She indicated I could have Leukemia,. So that floored me.. So I have to have another blood test tomorrow.. My blood sugars showed before a meal this eve at 11.7, I then had eaten, a while later it was 30.6, then I did it again about 30 mins, it said "Hi.". My left side has a very dull ache, I have been badly constipated for some time so I always presumed it was due to that. But its like that when I am not constipated so its something else, most likely to do with my diabetes. I am quulite scared now. Any help as in anything please.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars showed before a meal this eve at 11.7, I then had eaten, a while later it was 30.6, then I did it again about 30 mins, it said "Hi.".
If you're that high right now, please call 111 for advice, that's dangerously high.

As. they have come back with too many white cells.. She indicated I could have Leukemia,. So that floored me..
That's a very scary message you got, and I have my fingers crossed that things will turn out to be ok.

But the very high blood glucose is something that may need attention right now.

Please let us know how you are tomorrow!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
HI @swan45 I am sorry you are feeling unwell. I have no idea what is wrong with you but I wouldn't assume it is caused by your diabetes, as non diabetic illness pushes your blood sugar up (eg an infection).

And there are multiple possible causes for a high white blood cell count, so let's hope that yours is caused by something far less sinister than leukemia.

Did you ring 111 ?

• Friendly
Reactions: Lainie71

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're that high right now, please call 111 for advice, that's dangerously high.

That's a very scary message you got, and I have my fingers crossed that things will turn out to be ok.

But the very high blood glucose is something that may need attention right now.

Please let us know how you are tomorrow!
Hi i went to the gp, had the bloods taken, then i asked to see a doctor about my glucose, she booked me in this afternoon, i told him of my readings, i said about what the other dic said about my white cells, and leukaemia, si he told me not to worry, he explained alot, and it may be something different causing white cells to be high, etc, but he did a blood / glucose test, took the blood and used what ive got those little digital testers, and it came up as 7! Which was crazy, as mine was Hi. So he said looking at my diabetes history shows I am barely diabetic as its excellent?? I couldnt believe it. I have lost weight in the last few years, ive never been huge but was over weight hence getting diabetes, but ive been taking atorvastatin which I noticed began to aide weight loss . I have metformin, and another drug i take anyway called propranolol to stop me getting strange hypos i used to get, my heart beat was racing, even when just sitting still! So thats stopped that, as it was worrying. So i just need to see what this blood test comes up with.

• Friendly

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i went to the gp, had the bloods taken, then i asked to see a doctor about my glucose, she booked me in this afternoon, i told him of my readings, i said about what the other dic said about my white cells, and leukaemia, si he told me not to worry, he explained alot, and it may be something different causing white cells to be high, etc, but he did a blood / glucose test, took the blood and used what ive got those little digital testers, and it came up as 7! Which was crazy, as mine was Hi. So he said looking at my diabetes history shows I am barely diabetic as its excellent?? I couldnt believe it. I have lost weight in the last few years, ive never been huge but was over weight hence getting diabetes, but ive been taking atorvastatin which I noticed began to aide weight loss . I have metformin, and another drug i take anyway called propranolol to stop me getting strange hypos i used to get, my heart beat was racing, even when just sitting still! So thats stopped that, as it was worrying. So i just need to see what this blood test comes up with.
Sorry i re read my last message, I meant doc, not dic...!

• Friendly

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI @swan45 I am sorry you are feeling unwell. I have no idea what is wrong with you but I wouldn't assume it is caused by your diabetes, as non diabetic illness pushes your blood sugar up (eg an infection).

And there are multiple possible causes for a high white blood cell count, so let's hope that yours is caused by something far less sinister than leukemia.

Did you ring 111 ?
Thank you for your reply, I replied on a message about it all just now, that explains more, but yes, it could be more about diabetes, I am confused at the moment.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
but he did a blood / glucose test, took the blood and used what ive got those little digital testers, and it came up as 7
Just a thought, but are your blood testing strips still within their "use by" date. Did you wash your hands before blood testing? (Contaminants on your hands can make a glucometer completely inaccurate, as can out of date strips.)

Reactions: swan45

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought, but are your blood testing strips still within their "use by" date. Did you wash your hands before blood testing? (Contaminants on your hands can make a glucometer completely inaccurate, as can out of date strips.)
Yes, my strips are about 3 years old, i opened the lid and used half back then, and it might have been contaminated, as my doctor mentioned that. So my reading is 7 not Hi, after he took my reading today, i will get new ones. I feel better he said it was 7.! Thank you for your help

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
take anyway called propranolol to stop me getting strange hypos i used to get,
Propranolol doesn't effect blood sugar or insulin, it is used to treat mild anxiety. It seems you've been mistaking anxiety (or stress or excitement or panic or nerves) for sugar lows. Perhaps you need to look at fixing that instead of blaming diabetes.
It's often done, we all think everything stems from diabetes when often it doesn’t .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, my strips are about 3 years old, i opened the lid and used half back then
This sounds like they're way over their use by date.
The date is on the pot, but I think once opened they can't be kept as long as their original date.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My white cell count has been too high for years now. Every year after my annual MOT i get the call from whichever doctor, asking questions pertaining to leukemia. Last year a locum actually looked back through my records, to find they were all the same. Now my records show that elevated is normal for me.