Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey y'all,
I'm injecting Victosa & Lantus. Seems to be working quite well. I've found that splitting it (morning and evening) works really well.

BUT - some mornings I'm waking with LOW BG (3.8/4.0mmol/L). So my question is - should I still be dosing up with Victosa & Lantus when I wake?

I don't eat breakfast, so I'm not likely to see a jump early in the morning, but if the previous nights Lantus (20 units) and Victosa (0.6mg) has worn off by the time I eat lunch, then I will see a jump after eating... Today I missed my morning shots (BG 3.8mmol/L) but took 0.6 and 20 at lunch. After lunch, my BG went up to 10.1, and has stayed there since. Todays lunch was particularly carb heavy - a chicken wrap and some Bombay mix - so the rise was completely expected. :sour:

Also - I'm using the Freestyle Libre System. It is BLOODY good! The amount of information you get from it is just amazing. I'll be funding it myself (even if it is just for 14 days out of each month) until it is (hopefully) available on the NHS.

Also - I'm trying this at night before bed - 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1/2 tsp of honey, and 1/2 tsp of celtic sea salt. I definitely find I sleep better after taking this, and the Libre shows a VERY flat line through the night.

Anyway, back to my question - do any Basal users inject when their BG is as low as 3.8/4.0mmol/L???

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back, @Patch.

Sorry I can't help with advice about your meds, but hopefully someone else will be able to. Just wanted to say hi :)

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you wake up with levels that low you should be having fast acting glucose to correct the hypo and having breakfast and your normal meds. Skipping meals and meds will have your levels all over the place. Would have a chat with your diabetic nurse if you can.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Can't comment on Victosa, but for Lantus the onset (time it takes to work fully) is a few hours, so if it is your normal time for taking it, then it probably is ok.

Regarding your levels and injecting, it's probably best discussed with a consultant the numbers (3.8-4) are very low for some, but is about as close to non diabetic levels as you can get.