Victoza and Exenatide - Follow up post

MalcolmB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Politicians
Hi All...

I've just seen my doctor after my nurse suggested that my Metformin and Sitagliptin don't seem to be working any more. He seems to think Victoza and Exenatide won't be any good either because it looks like my beta cells are failing. He reckons that Insulin is the way to go. I've got an appointment with the Diabetic Clinic at my local hospital in six weeks time.

t's not exactly the news I want to hear! Although I'm retired I still do a fair bit of driving so I'll have to check with the DVLA about any restrictions etc.

Cheers

Malcolm

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Malcolm

You should be ok for driving unless you are HGV1 and then you will lose your licence when on insulin. You will need to inform DVLA and you will probably get a 3year driving licence - that is what I have. I am on humalog 25 and it has been good at lowering my glucose but I have put a lot of weight on so at present I am in a vicious circle!

How do the medics know that your beta cells are failing - is there some sort of test?

Jude :wink:

MalcolmB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Politicians
Hi All...

I think my GP just assumed my beta cells were giving up the ghost. I'll wait to see what happens at the clinic before I say anything to the DVLA. They already know I've got Type 2 as does my insurance company.

Cheers

Malcolm