VICTOZA users

xxxleonadxxx

Re: VICTOZA

Sounds god papa.

I have to move up to the 1.2 dose on friday but haven't been told to reduce my insuln any further at this time ..... now i'm wondering f I should ???

This is my first week on victoza and i'm feeling a wee bitty squeamish ... that I can handle .... fingers crossed no major issues yet :D :D :D

tracey72

well i did what the doctor said- i started on a half dose 0.6 after being of victoza for 7 days but it is still not agreeing with me at all.i am getting crippling migraines.i had bee on a half does for the last 7 days then another migraine.i have had to stop it.carn't live my life with migraines.

also the consultant said that its very hard losing weight being a type 2 diabetic is this true because my partner thinks i am talking aload of c##p.its gets him very angry when i say what the consultant says about weight loss.he thinks i can lose the weight if i really want too.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

tracey72 said:
well i did what the doctor said- i started on a half dose 0.6 after being of victoza for 7 days but it is still not agreeing with me at all.i am getting crippling migraines.i had bee on a half does for the last 7 days then another migraine.i have had to stop it.carn't live my life with migraines.
If the drug doesn't agree with you then youi need to discuss alternatives with the Consultant.

also the consultant said that its very hard losing weight being a type 2 diabetic is this true because my partner thinks i am talking aload of c##p.its gets him very angry when i say what the consultant says about weight loss.he thinks i can lose the weight if i really want too.

It CAN be hard to lose weight for anybody, let alone a Diabetic......you have to find the means and some sort of plan that suits you and that doesn't make you feel ill.

Have you read the information that Sue and I regularly dish out to newly diagnosed, this is a simple starter plan to help lower Bg levels and other advice....it also can help with weight loss. You have to bear in mind that if you are eating too many carbs, that will never allow you to lose weight. Carbs = Glucose = Insulin = Fat production.

They might have to be severely restricted in order to stimulate the weight loss. I have lost over 5 stone by reducing carbs and most of all ....portion sizes. Now, that worked for me.....would it work for you.......???

Ken

xxxleonadxxx

Hi Tracey,

As always Cugila dishes out good advice .... but what jumped out at me from your post was the lack of support your getting from your partner.

It is always hard to lose weight diabetic or not (as Cugila says) but without support its gonna be like climbing a mountain with one leg (saying courtesy of my endo lol) ..... I think your partners attitude is one of the things that needs to be changed first before you can tackle any issues.

You need support and encouragement ........ not put downs and expectations.

I am on day 3 of 1.2 victoza and the nausea has given way to full on sickness (booooooooooo :( ) I'm going to try and persevere and see if it subsides :eek:

tracey72

hi ken,
i spoke to the consultant last week & he said to stoop the victoza for 7 days then too go back on a half dose which i did 0.6.
he said to do this till i next see him again which isn't for the next 4 weeks.
i will have to phone him up again tomorrow but i might have to wait till my follow up appointment in 4 weeks time.

sharmam

Hello Everyone

I am just wondering if anyone else has put on weight with victoza, I have been on it for 3 months now and had to up my thyroxine medication - as the consultant had stated that the absorbtion rate for thyroxine lessens on victoza - My consultant is waiting for Byetta Lar to be lauched this october 10. Would appreciate any feedback.

Good luck to all with diabetes????

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

sharmam said:
Hello Everyone

I am just wondering if anyone else has put on weight with victoza, I have been on it for 3 months now and had to up my thyroxine medication - as the consultant had stated that the absorbtion rate for thyroxine lessens on victoza - My consultant is waiting for Byetta Lar to be lauched this october 10. Would appreciate any feedback.

Good luck to all with diabetes????

From the Victoza information at the EMEA, European Medical Agency:
Thyroid adverse events, including increased blood calcitonin, goitre and thyroid neoplasm have been
reported in clinical trials in particular in patients with pre-existing thyroid disease (see section 4.8).

I wonder what sort of diet you follow ? If you are still gaining weight have you adjusted your food intake at all. The medication does need help to work properly. It should be viewed as part of an overall plan.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Winnie995 said:
What's Byetta Lar??? Or is that already being discussed???

From this websites Community Pages:

Diabetes injection Byetta LAR faces Food and Drug Administration decision
Wed, 10 Mar 2010

Following clinical trials, considerable investment and a great deal of anticipation the long-action version of diabetes drug Byetta now faces an approval decision by the Food and Drug Administration. The drug is being sold by Amylin Pharmaceuticals alongside Eli Lilly and Co.

Byetta LAR is injected just once each week, and is thought to be a key drug in the future of Amylin. The drug is also thought to be crucial for Eli Lilly. The treatment will open up a different lifestyle for people with diabetes who use the drug .

Experts anticipate an approval for the drug, following an approval by the FDA of Victoza. Both drugs are similar to GLP-1, a human hormone that boosts the production of insulin to regulate blood glucose levels. However, some experts predict a delay in the approval process.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes

In the USA the FDA was expected to rule on whether to approve Byetta LAR in March, but there appears to have been a delay. I haven't got any update on this yet. So as to when it gets approval in the UK is anybody's guess. That in itself has to be passsed through the EMEA, before it's use in the UK and Europe is allowed.

Once we see an official announcement we will post it in the Byetta thread.

Ken

xxxleonadxxx

Hey folks,

just thought i'd post a wee update and let ya know how i'm getting on wth victoza ....... got a new supply of pens (they gave me 10 ???????) never asked for them thats just how many they gave me lol ....... anyway I am still on 1.2 wth no changes.

Bloods are still the same (higher than i'd like) and the only side effect I am getting is sickness (nostly in the morning lol) ........... I have been advised to give it another 2 weeks and we'll assess it after this .............. always waiting hee hee

tracey72

i phoned the consultant Monday & i have got to go & see the diabetic nurse in the clinic next Tuesday.
they are going to change my medication as Victoza is making me feel very ill.

zclex27

Hi there. Is there anyone else out there who is type 1 and also using Victoza? I've been on it for a month now just as a weight loss aid- lost just over a stone in that time (obviously it won't affect my BGs other than what is associated with the weight loss). I've had a pretty easy time- felt a bit sick for a few days but no other side effects. I wondered if there were many others using it like this as it is not yet licensed for use with insulin?

xxxleonadxxx

Hi there zclex27,

I am type 1.5 (apparently type 1 (LADA) and type 2 .... i'm greedy ha ha ha) and I am taking victoxa along with my usual insulin. I am on week 3 with victoza, slight sickness but nothing major, no weight loss and no drop in BS yet ........ I have been asked to give it one more week and it wll be re-assessed as it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me (apart from increasing my apetite lol). I am on 1.2 and have been advised that they prob won't even try the 1.8 dose as the benefits, if any, are minimal and the cost doesn't favour this option.

Can I ask, have u changed anything to aid with the weight loss?? (e.g. extra exercise, stricter diet)

Leonax

zclex27

Hi leonax

I have changed my diet a lot because I simply don't feel hungry- so I have much smaller portions, and have been eating mostly yogurt and crackers! But it doesn't feel like I'm on a diet :D I've noticed I'm using a lot less insulin as a result, which I guess would also help with weight loss. Exercise wise I have actually been doing less cos I wanted to sort out my sugars before I messed with anything, but now I've got the hang of the victoza, I'm planning to step it up a little.

My DSN told me that Victoza is only effective in 80% of people- but she also said it can take months to work so it might be worth sticking with even if it hasn't worked so far...

I heard the same thing about the 1.8 dose- best clinical trial results were on the 1.2 so most people won't use the higher one

xxxleonadxxx

i'm jealous lol

I tried byetta a few years back and that didn't work for me either booooooooooo :oops:

I really wish I could lower my insulin ..... that alone would make me feel soooooooooooo much better lol

My DSN and endo both advised that the victoza worked rather rapidly, hence the fact they are re-assessing next week and that if not much was happening by then they would stop it ........... I know that they had hoped that it would cause a reduction in appetite but TBH its made me hungrier :? I'm sick every morning (its like being preggers without the 'bump' lol) but religiously have brekkie (special K, Banana or yogurt - my 3 choices hee hee) and by lunch time my throat thinks it's been cut .............. and thats not like me. I take my victoza in the morning (advsed this was best time). Even after lunch come about 3pm the hunger starts again regardless of what I ate for lunch :cry: .................. think im just destined to be awkward ha ha ha

justbuzme

Hi

Started on Victoza 3 days ago still on .06 and upping to 1.2 next Friday was just wondering why it causes headaches, I seem to be doing ok with it apart from the headache, they not that bad but constant, does not go even with tablets. Though my blood sugars have dropped loads from 17/19 on Friday to 4.7/6.5 today not been that low for years have been doing low carb diet as well hopping to loose lots of weight and see where it goes from there.

Keith

justbuzme

Hi people’s

Well just a quick note started on my 1.2 of victoza and all seems to be going fine headaches have gone and not getting sickness feeling as of yet. Now just got to see if the weight falls off, was wondering one thing though, how much is down to drug and how much down to once you have to start injecting yourself you take more notice of your carb intake. Mine has certainly dropped have been put on victoza

Keith

cugila

Master
Dislikes

justbuzme said:
Hi people’s
wondering one thing though, how much is down to drug and how much down to once you have to start injecting yourself you take more notice of your carb intake. Mine has certainly dropped have been put on victoza

Keith

That's difficult to answer as we are all different in how we may react to a drug. There is a notion on the net that the drug only reduces your Bg levels by maybe 1-2 mmol/l. That may be so, however it is much more effective when diet is also changed and carbs reduced.

You could find out by not doing anything about your lifestyle......however I wouldn't recommend it.
I take Byetta and found that it is the combination of diet, lifestyle and medication that is most important. Those that go onto these drugs and who do nothing thinking it will do everything for them.......are very disappointed. They soon find out they have to do some work too !

Ken