VICTOZA users

Nilla

Re: VICTOZA

He is on Metformin 2 twice a day, Glicazide is now 1 twice a day it used to be 2, Ramipril, Atorvastatin, Ezetibe, Amlovasc, Lansoprazole, Diclofenac and paracetamol.....quite a cocktail and now Victoza

Chris171262

Flipping heck I thought taking 2 Tablets a day was a pain poor man sounds like its not just Diabetes is the problem :?:

Well lets hope he can at least get some relief with victoza as far as getting it under control, You sound like you support him well, My husband is not that understanding he does`nt get it so I tend not to say much to him, My younger son is at uni doing biology he tends to help me understand it and support me :)

Nilla

He has Scolliosis as well so has 3 monthly spinal injections, also highBP
I look after him too well, sort all his tablets out etc etc I always say if I wasnt here he wouldnt manage which is a bit scary really as our 16 year old daughter has Downs Syndrome.

Chris171262

Well I tip my hat to you, My cousin has a daughter who is also downs, she is a joy, so much love to give, I am sure she is also hard work for her mum but I have never heard her complain :!: I am sure you must draw your strength from your family well done you x

thomasl4

I am experiencing significant hair loss and it seems to have started when I began Victoza 1.2 mg. The medication has been great in decreasing my a1c and weight but the hair loss is of great concern. I'm only taking metformin and it doesn't appear to be linked to that. Anyone else had this side effect? Victoza is fairly new in the U.S. so not much feedback from anyone here.

Nilla

I dont think its listed as one of the side effects, I know thyroid problems can cause hair loss or stress, i myself suffer from periods of Alopecia Areata. Would it be woth having your thyroid function tested as sometimes when you lose weight or gain it can have an effect on your thyroid.

Hubby took his first does of 1.2 yesterday teatime and felt nauseaous this morning, i hope it passes

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

thomasl4 said:
I am experiencing significant hair loss and it seems to have started when I began Victoza 1.2 mg. The medication has been great in decreasing my a1c and weight but the hair loss is of great concern. I'm only taking metformin and it doesn't appear to be linked to that. Anyone else had this side effect? Victoza is fairly new in the U.S. so not much feedback from anyone here.

As a previous poster has stated, hair loss is not a 'known' side effect of Victoza. Here is a link to a list of the ones which is posted very early on in this Topic.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9281#p87887

There are many causes of hair loss, most of which are not Diabetes or even drug related.

We had a member some while ago who was convinced that a certain drug was causing her hair problems.......it actually turned out to be the shampoo she was using ! Stress too can be a factor, so I would suggest you discuss the problem first of all with your Physician and / or your hairdresser.

Ken

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

HELP PLEASE

Have just started on Victoza 0.6 on Monday - stopped byetta of course - but my numbers are staying even higher, and no doubt my worrying pushes them up more!! I am thinking that this is because my level of medication has dropped and am hoping it will improve when I raise the dose to 1.6.
As usual I would appreciate any advice. Jude

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Jude.
It is normal when you start a new Med that it will take a little time to take effect, you are only on a starter dose at present so you shouldn't really expect all your Bg numbers to be perfect. Give it a little time and try adjusting your carb intake as well so that will help lower the numbers. I am sure it will all get better for you as you progress.

Ken

Chris171262

Well its a week today since i started the new Victoza, still on 0.6, I have the awful sore throat, and I am getting Hot flushes :!: . I have switched to taking it before bed because I felt so ill in the day, This seems to have worked as far as nausea goes BS is varying but only just under 10, that's before meals. I so want this drug to work, I have no appetite which is good I tried the ultimate test today by trying to eat a banana Sunday,(used to be a favourite treat) wont be doing that again 2 spoons and no more, that's the naughtiest food I have had in a week :!: so I know its having the right affect as far as food goes. I struggle to drink Tea as well as Pepsi Max I feel to full. Well it will all go towards some weight loss as well :?

Nilla

I wonder how long the nausea/sickness lasts, hubby was sick this morning then twice at work, he cant face food so went hypo for the first time ever, luckily I had packed him some lucozade. He has just eaten some soup for tea and thats all. All this hs happened since yesterday when he went onto 1.2 dose

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Nilla said:
I wonder how long the nausea/sickness lasts, hubby was sick this morning then twice at work, he cant face food so went hypo for the first time ever, luckily I had packed him some lucozade. He has just eaten some soup for tea and thats all. All this hs happened since yesterday when he went onto 1.2 dose

Nobody can answer that really, everybody is different. Some get no nausea, others minor, others major. There are many mentions of this throughout the thread if you read back through it. Might give you some idea.....but nothing is 'set in stone.'

As for food, he must try and eat something even if it is only a biscuit or similar. He has only just started so hopefully things will settle down for him. Victoza is a powerful drug and his body will take a some time to adjust to the drug at work in his system. As for how long....that's the $64,000 question !

Ken

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

So far, so good for me, three days on Victoza, as far as side effects - still I had nausea with Byetta for 15 months. However, someone has mentioned a very sore throat but I cannot find that in the list of side effects - but I have had a bad throat this week! I have been more tired than usual and I guess that is because my bg is higher. I know Ken has told me to be patient trouble is Im not and having changed over from byetta I am very impatient!!

How many people on Victoza are on the 1.8 dose? My diabetes nurse told me that if I need to go up to that dose the Consultant will have to agree it and i have been waiting to see him since last September - the latest appointment given is 13th October.

To try and help the nausea I would suggest, ginger capsules, ginger tea, mint tea, ginger biscuits (if you can stop at one - I cant!!). :lol:

Jude

Nilla

Ah yes ginger I had forgotten about that, will get some cystalised ginger biscuits tomorrow. He was doing so well on 0.6 anyway he sees the diabetic nurse tomorrow

Chris171262

Well I got into bed last night and 10 mins after I had the Jab I was sick, and not just once either, boy I felt ill :evil:
Did BS this am 8.8 had a sandwich at lunch time got home just and BS is 11.1 :?:
Just not getting this at moment i thought that not being able to eat would lower my levels :?:

Hot flushes are rife and terrible cough now, problem is I dont know if its Victoza or if I am ill, Doctors not untill 16th Oh what to do :?:

I have been on it for 9 days if I stop now I will never do it again but how else will I know if its me or the jab............ :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Chris171262 said:
Did BS this am 8.8 had a sandwich at lunch time got home just and BS is 11.1 :?:
Just not getting this at moment i thought that not being able to eat would lower my levels :?:
It's possible that because you are not 'fuelling' your body that it thinks that you are running low on energy sources so will dump glucose into your blood stream to elevate the levels. A Liver Dump. So if you don't eat little and often or at the normal meal times you will find it will raise your Bg levels. A natural function of your body.
Hot flushes are rife and terrible cough now, problem is I dont know if its Victoza or if I am ill, Doctors not untill 16th Oh what to do :?:
If you are having difficulty and side effects they may or may not be connected to the Victoza. They could be down to other medications or even the fact that you are stressed, going down with something. You must get an appointment with the GP asap to discuss this. You should be able to get an emergency appointment, or failing that ask to actually speak to the GP and discuss that way. Do not take no for an answer.
:

Chris171262

Hi Thanks for advice, I will probably call them tomorrow if I feel no better,

I think one of my problems is not fully understanding how the bg/bs works and as for a liver dump :?:

I Don't think Doctors have enough time to explain all..... So I just go along to clinic and check ups get told I need this or that and just do it :!:

So this forum is teaching more about the illness than I have ever known..

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Here is a link to an article about 'Liver Dumps' etc. It is a bit lengthy but does explain the process very well. Have a read.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding ... id=2422851

The effect can take place much later than 8am as I know to my cost, it can also happen at any point when your body Bg levels are low.......too low.

Ken

rotorblade

Hi all, I have had two syringes worth of Victoza up to now at 1.2 per day. I was using byetta twice a day and one glyclazide. My weight was beccoming a problem drifting well into the obese level. My GP suggested Victoza and that I should stop taking glyclazide. He explained that Glylazide was fat positive which apparently meant the Glylazide may cause insulin to rise more than necessary, which in turn would be turned to fat by the liver.
After stopping Glyclazide my weight fell quite dramatically. My weight 4 and half weeks ago was 15 and a half stone. I am now 14 stone and feeling much fitter. I am eating less than I was with Byetta
The only side effects so far were quite bad headaches, a thing which I never suffered from in the past however, four weeks down the line my headaches have almost disappeared, my sugar level is much easier to control with just Metformin and Victoza. I have to say I had terrible tummy issues with Metformin for two or three weeks but I now take four 500mg of metformin SR daily and the side effects have subsided to zero. All good news

Chris171262

Well have just got back from Dr he said that every thing i have is all side affects :!:
So just gotta work through the Bronchitis, sore throat, sickness and fatigue, he said it should get better :mrgreen: