VICTOZA users

I shoot Nikons

Day 3 and no sign of any side effects yet. I guess that next week when I up the dosage then all hell might break loose! :lol: Bloods have been in the 18s for the last 2 mornings, so hopefully that will start coming down too.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I shoot Nikons said:
I had my first shot at lunch time, it wasn't half as bad as expected. :oops: I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent pouch for storing the active pen, needles and sundry?
Hi...
There are a few men using the Desangs pouch/kit bags for their bits.
There are different sizes of these I think? and they can vary in price too.
A cheaper alternative idea is a small mans toilet bag/pencil case.
It is needed as there are too many items to carry about you on person!
Hope this helps... :)
Anna.

I shoot Nikons

Day 4 and my bloods are still really high. After reading the second half of this thread (what an epic) I'm beginning to wonder if it may be beneficial to ask to change from the Micro-Fine + 4mm to a longer needle. Or maybe just give it a fortnight on the higher dose and see what the numbers are like then.

edshazell

If your still on the 0.6 dose don't expect any great change yet, you are on the lower dose to make sure you don't react too badlyto it. Give it time to work once you go to the higher dose.

I shoot Nikons

Still waiting on tenterhooks for all hell breaking loose with the side effects. :lol: Saying that though; last night I had lamb chops for dinner and as soon as the last bite was down the first bite was fighting to get back up. Think I'll be sticking to the leaner forms of protein for a while. Have any of you guys come across any particular foods which trigger nasty reactions and may be a plan to avoid?

hugsee

Dislikes
cheese
At this moment I am doing a major happy dance which is difficult to do and type but amazingly I am in a size 18......woooohooooooo
went all out and got a new friend...her name is peppa and she is half sharpei and half jack russell she loves the fact that I live round the corner from the beach and today I actually did 8 miles...have been building up to it and finally made it....my poor broken body is in recovery but my mind is buzzing and cannot wipe the smile off my face... lost 2 clothes sizes in just over 2 months.

Yay to Victoza and of course Peppa

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I shoot Nikons said:
Have any of you guys come across any particular foods which trigger nasty reactions and may be a plan to avoid?

I've found that anything on the 'rich' side, whatever food group it is, is a bit of a no-no. It was my birthday this week and I'd normally be able to factor in a few bits of birthday cake into my daily diet, with a little extra insulin, but I couldn't handle it at all now that I'm on the victoza.

As for me, I had a review with my nurse and she was ecstatic with my progress..... like, really ecstatic. She couldn't stop grinning at me and she said I'd made her week! I started the victoza back in July and I'm on the 1.2 dose. After two whole months of absolute hell (really!!), my side-effects have finally lessened to a manageable level and I've lost nearly 2 STONE!! I can't bellieve it really. I know I need to work at it now to keep going with losing weight after the initial weight-loss honeymoon, but it is so encouraging to be able to actually see the effects. My insulin requirements have come down a lot and apart from the odd emergency issue with having a severe hypo and not being able to eat anything without vomiting, it's all grand. :D

Yay for victoza and yay for my GP agreeing to prescribe it for me!!

Good luck all those who've recently started on Victoza - if you can manage to stick it out, it will almost certainly be worth it!!

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done hugsee and picklebean that is excellent progress :clap:

I started taking Victoza just over 4 weeks ago and am on 1.2mg. The only side-effect I've had is constipation.

It hasn't decreased my appetite unfortunately - if I let myself I would still eat like a pig - however, it has brought my insulin dosage down from 45 to 25 twice a day (NovoMix 30 Flexpen). I've managed to lose 8lbs in four weeks, and I hope this loss continues.

Has anyone been put on 1.8mg? My diabetic nurse who put me on Victoza said that they don't prescribe 1.8mg. She also said that I need to lose a certain percentage of my weight in order to stay on Victoza - does anybody know how much you need to lose and in what time-scale?

Thank you

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
edshazell said:
In the UK 1.2 is the max dose, I think you need to loose 5% of body weight to stay on Victoza.

Thank you for your response :D

I'm not due back to see the Diabetic Nurse until December, so hopefully losing 5% will be do-able.

I shoot Nikons

Well I've been on Victoza for gone 4 weeks now. I haven't had any of the side effects - good or bad - and my bloods are not really improving. At first I had started doing a LOT of upper body exercises to make up for my leg, but I've blown out my shoulder which I guess hasn't helped matters. I'm also wondering if I may need to experiment with injection sites.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Edshazell, I hope your check-up goes ok. Shame it's just after Christmas - would have been better if it was before :(

I shoot Nikons, not having side effects is a good thing. However, I'm sure you should have seen some improvement in your bloods by now. I was told that I would notice an improvement straight away and within a week I did.

The only thing I know about injection sites is that I have to use different sites for my insulin than I do with my Victoza - not sure that helps you though.

When do you go back to see your Dr? Maybe book an appointment.

TraceyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started Victoza (0.6) only yesterday & feel really bloated & have the most awful wind (both ends!!)
I look 9 months pregnant & feel really uncomfortable.
Can anyone give me any advice on relieving the discomfort?? :thumbdown:

maggy12

I was looking for any info on Victoza as i have just been advised to take it as my metformin alone was not working anymore.
like alot of people i could not find any up to date information on Victoza other than that dated 2009, i am a little concerned about its connection to cancer but there are no numbers to check how the drug is progressing within the pharmaceutical society.
i am 2 days with the injections and have just started to feel nauseous, how have other people got on with Victoza?? and can anyone recommend anything that will calm my stomach?? would ginger work??

edshazell

It takes a bit of time to get used to it but its well worth the effort, keep meals small and simple. I have been on it 18 months now without any problems, good luck Ed.