VICTOZA users

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Peppermint can help with nausea too. Peppermint tea if you like it or you can buy peppermint oil from most health food shops and a few drops of that on a tissue that you can sniff every so often or just keep on your desk or whatever... The oil helped me a bit, though to be fair it could have just been a placebo!

It does get better eventually. As for things like cancer etc, the pros of starting victoza outweighed the cons for me - the potential benefits were worth it... And in my case it's definitely been worth it! ......... Though come to think of it, I won't be thinking it's worth it if I end up getting cancer on top of everything else that's wrong with me! Ha!

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How is everybody doing on Victoza?

Well this is my 9th week of taking Victoza and so far I have lost 13lbs :D

My insulin has been reduced from 45mol morning/night to 18mol morning/night :D

I wish I'd been offered/known about Victoza earlier - this is the best thing that's ever happened to me - the rewards definitely outweight the side-effects.

I'm having my bloods tested on the 27th Nov and will get the results on the 11th Dec and for a change I can't wait!!!!

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices
I live in the Norfolk area and have been on Victoza for two years. My blood sugars are back to normal. I had a slight problem of diahorrea at the start but was advised to increase the doze incrementally click by click over a period of six weeks. This worked for me.

Garry5253

Have been on Victoria for about 9 months,no trouble on 6, when on to 12 then the side effects started lasted about 4/5 weeks ,now no side effects and lost about 3 stone and keeping sugar level down after Xmas going on to 18

alpenney

ive been on victozer for 4 months now was moved from byetta because i could not remember tp inject twice a day victozer u inject dailey. it has brought my suger levels to roughley normal the same as byette did, victozer is much cheeper to buy than byetta my heaith care professional said .

cathie51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I have been on Victoza for 5 weeks, I have had no side effects managed to reduce my Insulin. I have lost 12lbs so far. Never managed that before as all my medication made me hungry (INsulin and Steroids).

I am type 2 but have had terrible problems trying to get blood sugars to a good level, were up in the 30's for a while now down to 6-18 and improving all the time.

stacymc_23

Hey folks!
I was just diagnosed end of June with T2 and the nurse has been determined to get me onto Victoza as soon as....
So I started on Wed last week and whilst I havent noticed any decrease in appetite..I have noticed upset stomach every day bar exception of one night when I felt constipated then by the end of the night I had an upset tummy again...
I havent been too good on watching my blood as of yet...I did notice on day one that my blood was 12...I will test again and see how its going...
I have a ton of weight to shed and between diabetes consultants and diabetes nurses...I hope to get down a bit by this time next year...The question I guess is..will that be with out without Victoza..I hope the side effects dont last too long. I do know they want me to up from .6 to 1.2 within a fortnight then to 1.8 within the month....I do have some concerns about the unlicensed dose but I wonder will my concerns be outweighed by the good benefits of Victoza? I hope so..
Anyone local to me thats on Victoza? I'm just outside Glasgow (north Lanarkshire).

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stacey

In England Drs will only prescribe the dosage of 1.2 - however I would love to be on 1.8 as the 1.2 dose has done wonders for me.

I've read that the side effects only last 4-6 weeks, which is probably the amount of time it takes for your body to get used to it. The only side effect I've had is constipation and I've been prescribed Laxido and Sennacot, so everything is fine now. However, I haven't noticed a decrease in my hunger.

I went for my 3 month review of Victoza today and I am so happy. My insulin is down from 45mol twice a day to 16mol twice a day and I will be reducing this again next week. I've lost 1 1/2 stone since the end of September. But best of all is my HbA1c has come down from 13.3mmol to 5.6mmol.

Give Victoza a good old fashioned try - it might be the best thing that's ever happened to you and you have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Good luck

Karen
West Yorkshire

rosy1969

Was using Victoza for a year as suffered nausea when using Byetta. I did not experience any decrease in appetite with Victoza and therefore, did not lose any weight. In fact, I felt it did nothing for me. I just had my readings two weeks ago and it was 8.8, gone up from a year ago when I was on Byetta, 7.1. So, I am now on a diet to try and lose weight and hopefully, the blood sugar as well.

I guess it works for some but not for me :(

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
rosy1969 said:
Was using Victoza for a year as suffered nausea when using Byetta. I did not experience any decrease in appetite with Victoza and therefore, did not lose any weight. In fact, I felt it did nothing for me. I just had my readings two weeks ago and it was 8.8, gone up from a year ago when I was on Byetta, 7.1. So, I am now on a diet to try and lose weight and hopefully, the blood sugar as well.

I guess it works for some but not for me :(

Sorry to hear that Rosie :( Good luck on your diet - hope it works for you.

sharonclegg46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Iwas diagnosed type 2 4 weeks ago, I am on week 3 off Victoza now on 1.2 mgs, my appitite has reduced so much I have to force myself to eat, I can only eat small amounts at a time, but that is one of the reasons I was put on it . I am on Metformin 500mgs twice a day too and now my morning blood sugars are down to around 5/6 which is great. I haven't had any.nausea but have been getting a lot of heartburn, I take lansoprazole anyway so that has been increased now. So fingers crossed it will settle down.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
Help please :sick: I have been on Victoza for the grand total of 10 days. The first week on 0.6 was not too bad - was coping with it all. Went onto 1.2 on Monday and today has been awful. Dreadful wind and burping sulphury burps which are making me feel really really sick. What can I do? I know I need to perservere, but I have resorted to sucking a full sugar boiled sweet in the hope that the horrible taste in my mouth will go away.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Foods don't seem to be an issue (although I am eating less at meals) but I am craving very sugary snacks at odd times just not anything big.
I wondered if anyone had anything that they suck or drink to help with the burping, nausea etc?

Bobbylinks

I am on twice daily insulin injections The first year Victoza was great and I lost weight and reduced my insulin Practically to the day it all went wrong My appetite returned with a vengeance My insulin dose went through the roof. I had nausea ans vomiting at the beginning of using Victoza and 3 years on it has returns with some of the side effects Today I go to the clinic armed with the information off the instructions given with Victoza and will ask why I an on it when I an on Insulin and what good is it doing I am going to come off it as it is making my life unbearable

Micronair

Novo Nordisk has reminded healthcare professionals of the serious risks associated with the use of Victoza. Liraglutide causes dose-dependent and treatment-duration-dependent thyroid C-cell tumors in rats and mice. It is unknown whether Victoza causes thyroid C-cell tumors, including medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC), in humans.[11]

cherrypop

I would just like to alert others to the possible severity of victoza side effects. Yes, it did what it was supposed to, i couldn't eat and i lost weight. But i began to have attacks of what i would call Horrible Stomach Thing. Vile sulphur smelling and tasting burps leading to excrutiating stomach pain radiating through to my back, leading to violent vomiting of barely digested food.
I had maybe half a dozen of these attacks, until the pain became so severeI was rushed into A&E in ambulance. The pain was unbelievable (and i've given birth 3 times!) I had gas and air and an injection of morphine.
Several scans and tests later the doctors told me the victoza was causing delayed gastric emptying (as its supposed to) and was causing gastroparesis.
I stopped using the victoza, and though i gained weight again and have to use more insulin, i have never had another attack since i stopped victoza. But i now have permanent gastritis, an ulcer and my stomach never feels happy.
It's not just a wonder drug to lose weight etc and i'm very angry that the gastro side effects are so minimised.
Be careful, guys.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
Well I have lasted all of 2 weeks on Victoza! After 24 hours of sickness that resulted in my face covered in burst blood vessels the emergency doctor told me to come off it, gave me an anti sickness injection and some gaviscon and advised me to see my own GP to sort something else out! Still left with the indigestion, upset stomach and inability to keep down food!

And I had such high hopes for this one :(

nabser

I have been on Victoza for the last couple of years and everything is great my last hBA1c was 5.5,my doctor said to me that on my next visit after the blood results if my hBA1c was a bit lower he would consider trying to take me off the Victoza and see how i go,basically he said that because i am keeping good control that yes my sugars would rise but he thinks not sufficiently to worry about,i was wondering has anybody else tried this and if so what results,i also take 3 1000mg of metformin

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices
nabser said:
I have been on Victoza for the last couple of years and everything is great my last hBA1c was 5.5,my doctor said to me that on my next visit after the blood results if my hBA1c was a bit lower he would consider trying to take me off the Victoza and see how i go,basically he said that because i am keeping good control that yes my sugars would rise but he thinks not sufficiently to worry about,i was wondering has anybody else tried this and if so what results,i also take 3 1000mg of metformin

Glad to hear your good news, it gives hope to us all. I ve got tests tomorrow and hopefully see nurse in near future.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
squishychickfi said:
Well I have lasted all of 2 weeks on Victoza! After 24 hours of sickness that resulted in my face covered in burst blood vessels the emergency doctor told me to come off it, gave me an anti sickness injection and some gaviscon and advised me to see my own GP to sort something else out! Still left with the indigestion, upset stomach and inability to keep down food!

And I had such high hopes for this one :(
Hello.
Oh dear - its clear the victoza isnt ideal , with you being unable to tollerate it .
Have things settled down - what alternative has your GP offered you ?
Hope you are feeling much better now ... :)

Anna.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
nabser said:

Yes, I did try coming off the Victoza by reducing for a single click per day. By the end of that my BG had risen and other problems revisited me, so now I am back on twenty clicks a day, which is the full 1.2 dosage. The worst part of it was, I had to again endure all the unwanted effects I had loaded on to me when I first went onto the drug :(