Vinegar Tablets and Fasting Blood Glucose Reading

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Has anyone tried this - I have read that it helps with lowering the fasting reading in the morning if you suffer from the dawn phenomenon?

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Jason Fung (I'm a fan) says drinking 2tbsp at night lowers morning sugars. I've bought the vinegar but keep forgetting to drink it . Take it in water not neat lol

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Has anyone tried this - I have read that it helps with lowering the fasting reading in the morning if you suffer from the dawn phenomenon?

Yep tried various doses and brands over 2 months, then dropped these off and compared measurements.

I could not detect any noticeable impact.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Dr Jason Fung (I'm a fan) says drinking 2tbsp at night lowers morning sugars. I've bought the vinegar but keep forgetting to drink it . Take it in water not neat lol

The morning control that has worked for me is a slug of double cream in a strong coffee....stops my BG rise in its tracks:).... And double is only 1.6g per 100ml of carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Thank you Kevin, can I ask if you take the coffee with double cream before bed??? I am happy to give it a try as my morning reading is always higher than when I went to bed and want to try and do something about it.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar, didn't really test if any differences with regards to diabetes, but it was good for my gastro system I think, and I don't catch the flu as often. My elderly friends also take it and it seems to perk them up.

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mustard on my lettuce wrap at BF dies help noticeably. At night if I'm a tad high I will have mustard on something. I don't like vinegar by itself. Also make sure it's not balsamic. Sugar.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
heard lots about the digestive benefits of apple vinegar, apart from the taste, what do you have to loose?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It helps cure gout, and is reported to whiten teeth and even helps with bad breath.
Keto breath anyone? ;)
:bag:
Not me..also not so sure about the whiten teeth I thought it was an enamel stripper so maybe yellows teeth instead..I tried it for a while but didn't seem to get any benefits so gave it up.

Reactions: There is no Spoon

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never tried the tablets but almost every day I have 1 tablespoon in my salad dressing. Has to have the must so I buy 5 litres of Biona at a time, I am hoping to make my own this year as I won't drink the cider we used to make and I don't want to waste apples or destroy trees my father planted.
I have no idea what part the vinegar has played in my control but as they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

barry54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve tried plenty of different things for lower BG at wake up, I do know a Gin and Tonic helps but more than that
Sleep quality seems to make a difference to me, if I have a really good nights sleep (which is rare) I wake up with a BG of about
5.5, every other day it’s always around 6.2.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It helps cure gout, and is reported to whiten teeth and even helps with bad breath.
Keto breath anyone? ;)
:bag:
Keto breath is actually acetone. and other esters from the oxidation of CoA which is the basic fuel our bodies run on, In other words ketones when they are burnt to give us energy, the waste products are mainly esters i.e. derivatives of acetic acid (or vinegar as it is commonly referred to).

Note that vinegar is acidic, and so is not good news for teeth in the long term, So it is bleaching the teeth because of the acid - nothing magic there. It is also attacking the enamel coating of the teeth and will wear it away eventually. Just like Pepsi or Coca Cola.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep tried various doses and brands over 2 months, then dropped these off and compared measurements.

I could not detect any noticeable impact.

Ditto. Not only did it not affect my bgl noticeably, it also gave me gutrot and heartburn. Then I was put onto long term aspirin following my heart attack, and then had a PPI to reduce stomach acid as protection. Taking vinegar is drinking mild acid, so was not conducive to my long term goal of staying alive.

If you are on a PPI med then I would suggest that vinegar is not something I could recommend.