Virta Health Low Carb Clinical Trial Results Published

Biggles2

Effectiveness and Safety of a Novel Care Model for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes at 1 Year: An Open-Label, Non-Randomized, Controlled Study

Here are 2 random snippets:
“The purpose of this study was to evaluate if a new care model with very low dietary carbohydrate intake and continuous supervision by a health coach and doctor could safely lower HbA1c, weight and need for medicines after 1 year in adults with T2D.”
"We therefore hypothesized that a comprehensive care model that supports patients to achieve sustained nutritional ketosis while eating to satiety may have robust benefits in T2D management."​
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s13300-018-0373-9.pdf

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Effectiveness and Safety of a Novel Care Model for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes at 1 Year: An Open-Label, Non-Randomized, Controlled Study

Here are 2 random snippets:
“The purpose of this study was to evaluate if a new care model with very low dietary carbohydrate intake and continuous supervision by a health coach and doctor could safely lower HbA1c, weight and need for medicines after 1 year in adults with T2D.”
"We therefore hypothesized that a comprehensive care model that supports patients to achieve sustained nutritional ketosis while eating to satiety may have robust benefits in T2D management."​
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s13300-018-0373-9.pdf
It basically tells us what we all know - low carb works ! - if you need comprehensive help to make the switch sure spend the money with Virta, if you need a bit of morale support - come here for free !

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does someone know if there is a similar published study for the Low Carb Program?

Biggles2

if you need a bit of morale support - come here for free !
That's exactly what I was thinking! But, a study like this one is important, in that it gets benefits of a LCHF/keto approach with peer support into the literature. Hopefully it will help change the status quo!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's the word novel that gets me like it's never been tried before.. Bit like doing a study to test the novel idea that water flows downhill.

Biggles2

It's the word novel that gets me like it's never been tried before..
Agreed! But, unfortunately, you would think it were novel given the standard treatment approach in general practice. And, indeed with few exceptions (Dr. David Unwin comes to mind) it is a novel approach in primary care. Of course, many of us on this forum have been doing this for years (thanks to the 'Wisdom of Crowds').

Also, any time someone publishes the goal is to add to the body of knowledge, and they may have a product or programme to pitch. Fair enough if it works!

As we know, it's always good to read the article and see who funds it, or what other conflicts/interests the authors may have. Virta has a diabetes management program they are pitching to employers and health plans in the US. And it is very true that their management programme will save those payers a ton of money over time. As would a similar programme in the NHS - something we note on this forum frequently.

In the past 24 hours, I have read one review which posits that metabolic improvements after gastric surgery are superior to improvements achieved through diet alone (written by surgeons), and another that posits that a low carb diet supplemented with 3 eggs per day results in a loss of fat mass and an improvement in metabolic markers (funded by the egg industry).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Agreed! But, unfortunately, you would think it were novel given the standard treatment approach in general practice. And, indeed with few exceptions (Dr. David Unwin comes to mind) it is a novel approach in primary care. Of course, many of us on this forum have been doing this for years (thanks to the 'Wisdom of Crowds').

Also, any time someone publishes the goal is to add to the body of knowledge, and they may have a product or programme to pitch. Fair enough if it works!

As we know, it's always good to read the article and see who funds it, or what other conflicts/interests the authors may have. Virta has a diabetes management program they are pitching to employers and health plans in the US. And it is very true that their management programme will save those payers a ton of money over time. As would a similar programme in the NHS - something we note on this forum frequently.

In the past 24 hours, I have read one review which posits that metabolic improvements after gastric surgery are superior to improvements achieved through diet alone (written by surgeons), and another that posits that a low carb diet supplemented with 3 eggs per day results in a loss of fat mass and an improvement in metabolic markers (funded by the egg industry).

Main message is to avoid any study funded by undertakers.:eek:

Reactions: jwd1

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The conflict of interest point is an interesting one. I am now trying to make a difference in my own way through various initiatives and there is a growing chorus of " you are conflicted" because you believe in it.
Under this scenario there is a no win situation. No matter what the science, the act of coming to a conclusion about it means that you have become conflicted from doing anything further about it !

I have seen people tweet proudly that Virta is conflicted - just look at how many people are in their employ. Its a ludicrous position to take bearing in mind that Virta announced it was their study in the first place. - but so it goes on - ever more ridiculous specious arguments designed to obfsucate and delay whilst people lose their limbs. Dr Taylor is now " conflicted" from being an independent mind on VLC because his career has become entwined with his hypothesis, ditto Ivor Cummings, Nina Teicholz, Gary Fettke, Sarah Halberg, the public health collaboration, diabetes.co.uk , Robert Lustig, Gary Taubes Aseem Malhotra, and "n" dozens of others .

Reactions: Salvia

Biggles2

Dr Taylor is now " conflicted" from being an independent mind on VLC because his career has become entwined with his hypothesis, ditto Ivor Cummings, Nina Teicholz, Gary Fettke, Sarah Halberg, the public health collaboration, diabetes.co.uk , Robert Lustig, Gary Taubes Aseem Malhotra, and "n" dozens of others .
I have no conflicts with this group! In my book they are all Winners! Big pharma and big food on the other hand....

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember this video, it was one of the first videos I found when my doctor told me I had type2 long before finding this website. Who do you think she now works for...... If you choose not to trust anyone who is doing or has done low carb research in the USA who works for them, you will very few have no one left to trust....

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A few points.
  • The drop out rate was under 20% with an intervention that lasted one year! This is unheard of for lifestyle interventions.
  • Look at how long people in their study have had Type2
  • Look at how many drugs they were on to start with.
  • Look at the great reduction in costly drug usage.
  • They provided full medical support, so there was no need for people to get their GPs cooperation or "approval".
  • (We just tell people on that number of drugs to see their GPs, this is the same as telling them to get lost!)
  • Most people taking part saved $$$$ in "co-payments" on drugs.
  • It was not a "hand chosen" list of people, unlike the Newcastle Diet studies. (They will make their money from taking on the "hardest" cases.)
  • The results were better at 12 months, then 6 months, unlike the Newcastle Diet studies.
  • They have committed to publishing the 5 years results.
So the results are a lot better then they look like at first sight, however people like me do not need their program, as this site makes it easy for people who have had Type2 for a short time to "reverse" their diabetes. They are not hiding what they are doing, and anyone who is not on risky drugs can just look at their website, then within minutes with google find this website and DietDoctor so as to save paying them any money.

As to conflicts of interest, remember the company was started by the people who have published most of the research on low carb diets, including the "Art and Science of Low Carb Living" book. They started the company as it was the only way to turn their own research into improved life. Their "funding model" may allow them to offer their services to everyone who has health insurance in the USA, as no cost to the individual person, based on the long-term saving to the insurance companies. (But it seems the contracts with the health insurance companies are not yet signed.)

They have the VC funding to be able to market "supported keto" widely in the USA, therefore reach lots of people with Type2 who will never of found out about low carb otherwise.

I think of them as being the "Red Hat" of the diabetes reversal world, they have given away the information for free but will get rich based on even 1% of people wanting to pay for the support contract. (Opensource healthcare....)

Reactions: Salvia and kokhongw

Biggles2

And Virta definitely works! They are a potential game changer. Their business model is good, they have published the research to support their claims, they are definitely changing the T2DM management paradigm. I just wish I had rolled out their programme myself!!! It sounds like a winner on all fronts!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the word novel that gets me like it's never been tried before.. Bit like doing a study to test the novel idea that water flows downhill.

I think what is "novel" is that they get companies/individuals to pay them hundreds of dollars per month to "deliver remotely" basically the same advice that we can get here for free...for over a year.

Plus of course they will get all the key bio markers regularly monitored, reviewed by medical providers.

It is design to scale and actually be profitable...that...apparently has never been done before...ask any government healthcare services. Most are headed for bankruptcies at the rate chronic illnesses are going.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish Virta every success in the world ! In the same way that One can either pay to join Intensive Dietary Management to fast with Dr Fungs advice or just watch and copy , so can one do the same thing with Virta .

My comment was an ironic one . So many people trying do hard to change the world and so many naysayers who prefer to watch people lose limbs than admit that there could be any other way .!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is sobering about the results is that just over half were able to reached and maintain < 6.5% HbA1c after a year. And that includes those still on metformin.

Comparable to the DIRECT study.

While still impressive compared to current standards of care...it doesn't work for everyone yet...

Also it would have been more transparent if they included further breakdown to HbA1c < 5.5%, < 5%.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Having been a member of the Low Carb Program for some time, I must say I'm very impressed with it - even more so now when comparing the price to Virta. Great to see low carb finally accepted. Bravo all!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that Virta includes full medical support for monitoring and adjusting the dose of drugs (The Low Carb Programme clearly does not), and that people in the USA often have to pay to see a doctor each time they go. Virta is aimed at people who are using the most drugs, and therefore have the most to save (yes people often have to pay for their own drugs in the USA!).

Biggles2

Remember that Virta includes full medical support for monitoring and adjusting the dose of drugs (The Low Carb Programme clearly does not), and that people in the USA often have to pay to see a doctor each time they go.
Yes indeed, the individuals in the study had access to Dr. Hallberg for medication management:
“According to Sarah Hallberg, the study’s principal investigator and medical director of Virta Health, the patients had a low carbohydrate nutrition plan that was personalized through their assigned health coaches, who communicated with them via the mobile app—sometimes multiple times per day. Patients were also given access to her—a physician—for the purposes of medication management, she notes.”​
https://www.healthdatamanagement.co...iet-show-promise-in-reversing-type-2-diabetes

Biggles2

and that people in the USA often have to pay to see a doctor each time they go. Virta is aimed at people who are using the most drugs, and therefore have the most to save (yes people often have to pay for their own drugs in the USA!).
Regardless of who pays for health care systems, be it the ordinary taxpayer in single-payer systems like the NHS, or the employer and/or taxpayer in mixed public/private systems like the US, the important take home message from this study is that lifestyle measures can work very well for many people with Type 2 diabetes.

However, as long as the official guidelines for diabetes care in both the UK and the US continue to see Type 2 diabetes as a progressive disease requiring increasing medications and ultimately insulin, while at the same time only paying pay lip service to dietary interventions that do work for many, then health care systems on both sides of the pond will continue to waste valuable financial resources that could otherwise be put to good use for patients elsewhere in the system.

Bottom line: Low carb, coupled with online support appears to be a winning combination - who knew???;)

Reactions: Guzzler

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a lot of really big dudes here. Expensive big dudes too. Insulin, joint surgery, oxygen. Expensivo.