VirtahHealth:Reversing Type 2 Diabetes with Nutritional Ketosis

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After 6 months, 89% of participants were still enrolled in the study. Glycosylated hemoglobin was reduced to 6.1±0.7% from 7.5±1.3% in a sample of 108 participants who elected to test HbA1c at 6 months. Twenty-two of the 108 started with a HbA1c <6.5%, and at 6 months, 82 of 108 (76%) reduced their HbA1c below the threshold for diabetes diagnosis (6.5%). Patients lost 11.5±8.8% of their body weight; 81% (212 of 262) patients attained clinically significant weight loss.

Hmm...why only 108 of the 262 had their HbA1c taken at 6 mth interval...of which only 82 had reduced their HbA1c to < 6.5%

So based on this snapshot, that is a roughly 30% (82/262) successful reversal...to "normal" HbA1c.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Perhaps you can clarify a couple of things for me?

The statement of

'..... beta-hydroxybutyrate triggers dramatic reduction in oxidative stress and inflammation which in turn reduces the root cause of insulin resistance (my emphasis) there is just one remaining question, can a well formulated ketosis diet be followed long term?'

I was under the impression that the root cause/s of IR is as yet unknown? And my second question is about beta-hydroxybutyrate, which I have heard made referrence to in this forum but have no real knowledge of, can you give me an overview, please?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hmm...why only 108 of the 262 had their HbA1c taken at 6 mth interval.

Because 100% of them have a BG meter that loads the data onto the VirtahHealth app, hence what personal benefit does someone get from going to have their blood taken? It is also very likely that some of these people have had a HbA1c done by their "GP" and given it is the USA, there is nothing joined up....

These are also not people who signed up for a clinical trial, they are employees for one large employer who are trying to reduce their health care bill.

I am expecting much more complete date when they publish their formal paper at the 1-year mark.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Perhaps you can clarify a couple of things for me?

The statement of

'..... beta-hydroxybutyrate triggers dramatic reduction in oxidative stress and inflammation which in turn reduces the root cause of insulin resistance (my emphasis) there is just one remaining question, can a well formulated ketosis diet be followed long term?'

I was under the impression that the root cause/s of IR is as yet unknown? And my second question is about beta-hydroxybutyrate, which I have heard made referrence to in this forum but have no real knowledge of, can you give me an overview, please?

These two researchers think they have found the root cause of insulin resistance, sorry for more detail you will have to read the many research paper they have published over 30 years and their book. I expect it will take at least 10 years for other researchers to decide if they are in agreement.

But an anti-inflammation drug has just shown unexpected lowing of BG in a trail that was not even looking at diabetes....

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
These two researchers think they have found the root cause of insulin resistance, sorry for more detail you will have to read the many research paper they have published over 30 years and their book. I expect it will take at least 10 years for other researchers to decide if they are in agreement.

But an anti-inflammation drug has just shown unexpected lowing of BG in a trail that was not even looking at diabetes....
Thank you for replying, interesting stuff.