Vision, Insulin, Snacks & More

anouser1

Hey, I've recently been diagnosed Type 1 diabetic and have some general questions. I use NovoRapid & Tresiba for reference.

If when Carb Counting, I have something, say a Pizza, which according to my ratio would take my injection to above 10 units [the max on the pen], can I inject more, if it correlates to how much I eat correctly, or do I simply need to eat less?

Furthermore, if 4 hours after an injection, and a couple of hours before bed, can I eat, for example, a bag of sweets and inject the right amoount and would this make my blood sugar unstable? Other than the obviously normal health disadvantages, is there any other reason not to?

Also, my eyes have been getting progressively worse and I am using strong reading glasses now to watch TV etc, as I am unable to see otherwise. I have been told this is normal as I am newly diagnosed and my blood sugars need to stabilise, but I am worried that it is still getting worse. How long should it take of ok blood sugar levels for it to get better?

Thanks!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T2 so I won't offer advice on insulin. Have been you heard of the pizza effect?

Maybe leave pizza alone for a while until you have more experience. OR you could make your own low carb pizza. Google fat head dough.

anouser1

I am T2 so I won't offer advice on insulin. Have been you heard of the pizza effect?

Maybe leave pizza alone for a while until you have more experience. OR you could make your own low carb pizza. Google fat head dough.
I haven't but I didn't mean specifically a pizza, it was more of an example of something high

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, it's just that pizza has a certain "reputation" amongst T1s.
:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I've recently been diagnosed Type 1 diabetic and have some general questions. I use NovoRapid & Tresiba for reference.

If when Carb Counting, I have something, say a Pizza, which according to my ratio would take my injection to above 10 units [the max on the pen], can I inject more, if it correlates to how much I eat correctly, or do I simply need to eat less?

Furthermore, if 4 hours after an injection, and a couple of hours before bed, can I eat, for example, a bag of sweets and inject the right amoount and would this make my blood sugar unstable? Other than the obviously normal health disadvantages, is there any other reason not to?

Also, my eyes have been getting progressively worse and I am using strong reading glasses now to watch TV etc, as I am unable to see otherwise. I have been told this is normal as I am newly diagnosed and my blood sugars need to stabilise, but I am worried that it is still getting worse. How long should it take of ok blood sugar levels for it to get better?

Thanks!

Hi @anouser1 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding dialling the dosage on your pen. Do you have a reusable pen for the Novo rapid?
with the reusables Novo pen they can be dialed up as much as 60u. (I've just checked on mine, though I've never personally pushed the count up that far.)

In my experince of using Novorapid, it can last as long as 5hours after injecting.
Timing of the dosage is sometimes key to get the working profile of the insulin compliment what is digested & broken down.
Some foods contain more fats than others so the spike from the carbs may well be delayed?
Sweets on the other hand contain mostly fast acting sugar, so you may see a sharp rise before the insulin actuall kicks in?

The eyes should normalise as the BGs get more stable. But fluctuations BGs can cause a recurrence too.?

There's a fair bit of ground to cover finding out what works for you.

But I hope the above helps.

Reactions: mike@work

anouser1

Hi @anouser1 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding dialling the dosage on your pen. Do you have a reusable pen for the Novo rapid?
with the reusables Novo pen they can be dialed up as much as 60u. (I've just checked on mine, though I've never personally pushed the count up that far.)

In my experince of using Novorapid, it can last as long as 5hours after injecting.
Timing of the dosage is sometimes key to get the working profile of the insulin compliment what is digested & broken down.
Some foods contain more fats than others so the spike from the carbs may well be delayed?
Sweets on the other hand contain mostly fast acting sugar, so you may see a sharp rise before the insulin actuall kicks in?

The eyes should normalise as the BGs get more stable. But fluctuations BGs can cause a recurrence too.?

There's a fair bit of ground to cover finding out what works for you.

But I hope the above helps.
You're right, the pen does go up higher, I didn't realise!

So what you're saying is I should probably inject insulin 15 minutes or so before I eat the sweets, and at the same time for other things?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right, the pen does go up higher, I didn't realise!

So what you're saying is I should probably inject insulin 15 minutes or so before I eat the sweets, and at the same time for other things?

Well, I was sort of concerned you may still have working insulin onboard from your meal & be cautious about loading more insulin for fast acting carbs before bed?
That and the additional possibility being newly diagnosed in the "honeymoon" where your pancreas may still be pushing out the odd squirt before it totally gives up...

This early in the game for you. I wouldn't suggest playing about with dosage timing whilst asleep.

But the rule of thumb for a bolus is 20 minutes prior to eating.