Visit to My GP

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd guess because he is the senior gp in his practice and can set the parameters.
Thanks. But doesn’t the Senior GP answer to some one higher up or does he decide the parameters etc? Presumably yes?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who do these people answer to?

How does David Unwin get the latitude to succeed in this way but not other practices?

As I understand it, Dr Unwin interprets NICE Guidelines in one way, focusing on individual needs, and others interpret the differently

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Unwin is no longer a partner at his practise, but does still do some work there.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd guess because he is the senior gp in his practice and can set the parameters.
He also uses the NICE "individualised care" advice.. what everyone should get from their GP but very few do!

Edit.. Mark please read the other responses before replying...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You forgot the handouts!
I will take them. I am not sure what response they will engender. My gut feeling is that he will already be aware. However I am also expecting the unexpected.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
E2B6377D-97CA-4176-9DC4-EE9DAC59AE0B.png

And I will hopefully quiz him on this....

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I think I'm very lucky in my GP as he told me about LCHF when I was diagnosed. The Practice nurses at my last review knew nothing and when my other half was diagnosed as pre diabetic the nurse told him high carb was the way to go, but he hasn't as he's seen the results change with me so he LCHF with the occasional ice cream or bounty bar!

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
Probably not wise but I don't bother my G.P. Monthly, I attend a Diabetes Clinic and see a super Doctor who knows "everything".
Works for me.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with getting your records updated. I moved to Yorkshire from Liverpool over 35 years ago and apparently I was quarried from stone when I arrived here as there is no record of me (medically speaking) before the move.

I lived in Blackpool for the first 26 years of my life then moved inland to East Lancs where I have been ever since. My on-line records go right back to when I had my baby vaccinations in 1948 just after the NHS was born, it includes brief details of my broken tibula and fibula in 1952, chicken pox in 1952, measles in 1953 and then jumps to 1976 shortly before I moved. All these were well before computerisation, so I assume my paper files were transferred and someone went to the trouble of entering them on the system. All very fascinating.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I lived in Blackpool for the first 26 years of my life then moved inland to East Lancs where I have been ever since. My on-line records go right back to when I had my baby vaccinations in 1948 just after the NHS was born, it includes brief details of my broken tibula and fibula in 1952, chicken pox in 1952, measles in 1953 and then jumps to 1976 shortly before I moved. All these were well before computerisation, so I assume my paper files were transferred and someone went to the trouble of entering them on the system. All very fascinating.

In contrast, my records from my old surgery just 5 miles away from my new (joined less than two years ago) one are still not available to view online but my paper records have, I believe, been passed over. I have an unusual surname which tends to stand out, if it was Smith or Brown I might be less surprised.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an entry on my computerised record which I have never suffered from - from before we moved here, and I was asked about it at my first appointment and explained that it was a mistake, but it still crops up once in a blue moon - 'Still got the old problem?' "No, and I never had it in the first place' - sigh.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In contrast, my records from my old surgery just 5 miles away from my new (joined less than two years ago) one are still not available to view online but my paper records have, I believe, been passed over. I have an unusual surname which tends to stand out, if it was Smith or Brown I might be less surprised.

Sounds like your new surgery admin staff can't be bothered to enter them. Or haven't had time in the last 2 years. Or don't know how.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically they have a very slow snail lugging your data along the 5 miles.

I would have thought that if it isn’t held centrally these days it would be a doddle to do the transfer as in a few mouse clicks. I heard Dr Unwin say in a webcast today that we have a very clever computer system in the U.K. that he was able to take advantage of. So there should be little excuse for a slow transfer from one surgery to another.

The days of lovingly hand entering an individuals records when moving house, must surely be long gone?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an entry on my computerised record which I have never suffered from - from before we moved here, and I was asked about it at my first appointment and explained that it was a mistake, but it still crops up once in a blue moon - 'Still got the old problem?' "No, and I never had it in the first place' - sigh.
Resurgam, have you asked that that issue be corrected? If it cannot be removed, I'd ask for a side note to be entered relating to your assertion.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

As @DCUKMod says, it is worth asking for a side note. The memory test was trialed at my surgery for anyone over a certain age that agreed to it. On one of my diabetes reviews I was asked and I agreed. There were 28 points allocated. These were allocated for each bit you got wrong. I scored 0 out of 28, so I got them all right. When my GP was entering these results she just saw 0/28 and believed I got them all wrong, so she entered a significant memory problem on my on-line records. Of course I was upset and contacted the surgery by email about it. I had a letter sometime later from the GP apologising. She removed the significant problem completely from my records. It is always worth pushing.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I moved counties when my eldest was five years old. On entering the forces he was required to have a full medical. The doctor asked him if he had had any surgeries and son answered that he had been circumcised. The doctor said "There's nothing on your records" in an accusatory tone. When my son mentioned it to me I said "If that was me I'd have got it out and slapped it on the table and asked if there was possibly a mistake on the records!".

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As @DCUKMod says, it is worth asking for a side note. The memory test was trialed at my surgery for anyone over a certain age that agreed to it. On one of my diabetes reviews I was asked and I agreed. There were 28 points allocated. These were allocated for each bit you got wrong. I scored 0 out of 28, so I got them all right. When my GP was entering these results she just saw 0/28 and believed I got them all wrong, so she entered a significant memory problem on my on-line records. Of course I was upset and contacted the surgery by email about it. I had a letter sometime later from the GP apologising. She removed the significant problem completely from my records. It is always worth pushing.
That was quite funny.

My records are not complete. My earliest records tend to be sparse for the obvious reasons but I notice stuff that isn’t amongst the version of the records that I have access to. But then I go back a long way so record keeping was more of an issue in the earlier part of my life.