Vit D shortage

aljammal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been tested for Vit. D and found it below the normal level.. 50. I was prescribed 50,000 units every week one pill for 4 months, then to continue one pill every month.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'd read somewhere (not sure where!) that vitamin D deficiency is common in type 2s because, well, type 2s tend to be fat, and vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and just gets absorbed into the excess body fat.
laughs I am type 2 and not fat i weigh 9 stone and am 5 foot 2... i am bronzed by the sun so it is not lack of sun my diet includes all frsh veg daily so unsure what causes it but my brother has it to...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
laughs I am type 2 and not fat i weigh 9 stone and am 5 foot 2... i am bronzed by the sun so it is not lack of sun my diet includes all frsh veg daily so unsure what causes it but my brother has it to...
There are genetic factors that influence Vitamin D absorption. If both you and your brother have it, your genes are probably the reason.

clarea

I was told when they did my bloods from the endocrinologist (pituitary tumour) that my B12 level was below low so had to start having B12 injection every twelve weeks. I take vitamin D myself as for bones for the PT didn't know it helped with the diabetes too

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does it give anyone a bad tummy as I have oen and am thinking of stop taking the darn things

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
ok stopped taking vit d it gave me a bad tummy and also interfered with my IBS the doc says shortage of Vit D does not cause pain in arms so forget taking vits lol they always upset my tumm and after three days my tummy ok and bowls back to normal ...